To Keto Diet or not to Keto Diet...That is the question.

Options
I will just put it out there...I LOVE CARBS! Unfortunately, my body doesn't. Due to stress, thyroid problems and just depression I have gained about 40 pounds or so within a 2 year period. I recently got engaged and our wedding is in December. So trying to start the whole weight loss process. I know I wont be in my ideal weight but I want to be a bit more comfortable.
Any success stories on Keto diet? Also, what was your withdrawls like? I heard they can be ugly. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have no experience but if you search keto there are many threads and groups to learn from.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Definitely head over there and check it out.

I adore carbs, too, and I’m a lifelong binge-eater. My husband and I do some kind of “diet” for a month each new year, and this January we picked keto, and I was completely floored to realize that I love it. Eating this way has given me the self-control and ability to listen to my body that I thought I would just never have. I don’t binge, I don’t crave; I just eat as much as my body needs and move on to the next thing. And I’m down 22 pounds.

It’s a lot of cooking and a lot of math and it takes getting used to. If you’re one of those people who can lose weight just by moderating calories, that’s much easier and just do that. :) But if you struggle with moderation like I always have, keto might be worth a try. The calorie deficit is what does the trick; how you maintain that deficit is up to you.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think different people respond/adhere to different kinds of diets...differently! So for me, keto has been amazing because MY issue and reason for gaining weight was mindless snacking and I am now too full for that (thank you, avocado!) and have lost my cravings for foods I used to want to just spend all day eating, but I can understand how many people wouldn't even consider it. You're saying no to a lot of foods that are part of the standard American diet and completely changing up what you normally eat. You have to decide if you want to do that. I no longer miss those foods, but I have to explain to everyone, "Yeah, I'm eating this burger without the bun, and no, I am skipping the fries." Which is a little annoying. What's less annoying is saying, "Yeah, I did lose a lot of weight!" :-)

Agree that the Low Carb forum is a great place to learn more.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not sure keto is the best way to go if you are a carb lover. I am never liked bread or rice my, so it is easy for me to cut them out, eating low carb thus is easier for me, but I don't follow strick keto. If you want to try keto, instead of going complete no carb, I would start by cut down on simple carb( no bread or rice or potato) and sugary food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "Withdrawals" are the least of your problems. The first week (or two) of "low carb flu" aren't fun. This is your body using up glycogen stores which results in a whoosh of water weight loss.

Weight loss is just the first step. Hopefully before you get to goal weight you have thought about a maintenance strategy. Most people gain the weight back (from any diet). Are you going to be low carb or keto forever, or do you need to start over a bit?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Why do you say your body doesn't love carbs? Do you have a medical condition?

Weight loss comes down to calories. Load all your stats into MFP and get a calorie goal - that calorie goal holds regardless of what you eat. Next it's up to you to decide WHAT to eat. You want to eat a diet that makes it easier for you to hit your calorie goal. For some people that's Keto. For some it's a less dramatic low carb. For some people it's increasing protein or fiber. For some people it's about meal timing.

If you find fats make you feel full and carbs tend to be something you overeat, low carb might be your answer. For me carbs fill me up (especially combined with some protein), and fat is what I tend to binge on, so low carb would be a disaster for me :smile:

I often suggest that the best way to get started is to just start logging what you would usually eat and start taking notes of what fills you up, what leaves you hungry, what makes you crash, what gives you energy. Then move in whatever direction that takes you. Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question really depends on why you are considering a Keto diet and what your expectation are of it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find that my personal balance is keto-ish. On most days my diet looks like a loose version of keto (~50), but I don't stress about actually being in ketosis and am happy to engage in the occasional treat once in a while.

To be honest, I have never tried the <20g fad keto. I like my veggies too much.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I find that my personal balance is keto-ish. On most days my diet looks like a loose version of keto (~50), but I don't stress about actually being in ketosis and am happy to engage in the occasional treat once in a while.

To be honest, I have never tried the <20g fad keto. I like my veggies too much.

Totally agree with you, I think <20g is too restrictive for most people, but simple low-carb(~50g) is quite easy, just replace your bread and pasta with vegetable, eat moderate amount protein, use plenty of fat to flavor your vegetable.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    "Withdrawals" are the least of your problems. The first week (or two) of "low carb flu" aren't fun. This is your body using up glycogen stores which results in a whoosh of water weight loss.

Weight loss is just the first step. Hopefully before you get to goal weight you have thought about a maintenance strategy. Most people gain the weight back (from any diet). Are you going to be low carb or keto forever, or do you need to start over a bit?

This. The weight loss phase is a drop in the bucket, compared to the 20-40+ years we're facing for maintenance. Now is the time to be figuring out what's a realistic and sustainable method for you, Op, for the long term.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have really really tried the keto way of eating , my blood sugars went up I was stressing because I couldn't seem to eat all those fats .....3 days ago I said sod it , and went back to the atkins low carb diet and in 3 days my blood sugars went from 166 or 131 to 107 and 102 (morning blood sugars) I just can't seem to do the keto , I do add things like the fat bombs and the coffee with added fats and only eat protein and veggies . I stay under a 20 carb a day diet . (sometimes less) so keto is not for everyone , But Try it , if you can do it , you will lose weight !!! good luck ! add me asfriend we can help each other , I have to lose 200 pounds so I am going to be here for awhile LOL.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been mostly ketogenic for a few years. It works well for me ( a prediabetic with autoimmune issues including Hashi's).

Withdrawal is often an electrolyte imbalance - akak the keto flu. It is entirely preventable though if you increase sodium to at least 3000-5000 mg a day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with Keto, but I did Paleo for awhile. It's a bit different, but I think my experience as a carb lover who tried to eliminate carbs might qualify me to advise you on the subject. Giving up most of the carbs I loved was hard but do-able for awhile (around 6 months), but I couldn't do it as a lifestyle. It got especially hard when I reached my goal (size 3), because there was nothing motivating me to continue to give up the foods I loved. So, I added them back, but the Paleo diet had taught me nothing about moderating my treats. So, here I am, back where I started.

If you're just focused on losing for your wedding, you can certainly give it a try, and especially with a big goal like that in sight, I think you can do it. I know it can get you slimmed down for the wedding, and if you don't like it as a permanent woe, you can change up what you're doing after the wedding.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I dieted for my wedding (we just celebrated our 27th anniversary this month) too. I did Nutri System. It was great, I lost the weight, I looked great in my wedding dress... and I put all the weight back and then some in the first year after we got married.

I didn't learn anything about sustainable eating habits, obviously.

I've tried lots of different diet plans over the years, including a ten year stint of low carbing, and I've found out that there really isn't a one size fits all solution.

Keto can be great for some people because the food suits their personal preferences and keeps them feeling very full and keeps them from craving anything. For other people it doesn't satisfy their cravings, doesn't have the right nutritional profile to fuel their performance goals, and interferes with their moods (this is even after a period of adjustment).

Any diet plan that creates a calorie deficit will work to help someone lose excess weight. The best plan for you, OP, will be the one you can stick to most consistently (thus ensuring successful weight loss) which keeps you feeling full and satisfied with your food choices. Keto is just one option.

I'm curious, when you say that carbs don't love you, what do you mean by that?