Does calorie intake affect muscle mass

I have the app set to lose weight so I’m eating less calories so I can lose fat in the stomach area but I’ve been trying to get gains in the butt area. Do I need to eat more calories?

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    It depends on how overweight you are, but in general it takes a surplus of calories to gain muscle. However, if you're new to weight training you can gain some from training the muscle groups you want. Your body can compensate to some degree by burning fat but it's not a super efficient way to do it. My suggestion is continue at a deficit and continue training until you hit your goal weight. What little you do gain will help you get started at the very least. If you're at your target weight now, and want to continue losing fat and gain muscle I'd consider upping your weight training and switching to maintenance calories. Lots of ways to do it, but in general no, in a deficit you can't gain a lot of muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    While eating at a calorie deficit, muscle gains will be minimal to none. You can help preserve the muscle you have with adequate training and protein while you lose weight.

And yes more calories..in order to gain muscle you want to ideally be at a surplus or at least maintenance.

What are your stats? (Sex, age, weight, height etc). That will help determine your best next steps.

Also what program are you running?
  • Win_1
    Win_1 Posts: 16 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    While eating at a calorie deficit, muscle gains will be minimal to none. You can help preserve the muscle you have with adequate training and protein while you lose weight.

And yes more calories..in order to gain muscle you want to ideally be at a surplus or at least maintenance.

What are your stats? (Sex, age, weight, height etc). That will help determine your best next steps.

I’m only 19 and female and weigh around 106 and am 5’1. I’m just doing the program where it’s set to lose weight so it decreases my calorie in take already.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Win_1 wrote: »
    I’m only 19 and female and weigh around 106 and am 5’1. I’m just doing the program where it’s set to lose weight so it decreases my calorie in take already.

I believe that 106 puts you in a normal weight range. You'd be better off (in my opinion) eating at maintenance or ever so slightly above and following a progressive lifting program to gain muscle which will help you burn more calories on a normal basis and reduce overall body fat. Again, just my opinion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    At 106, why do you think you need to lose weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yea based on your stats I would look into recomposition.. so maintaining your weight to reduce bodyfat and gain muscle over time.. and be sure to follow a progressive lifting program. Something glute focused like Strong Curves is a great option.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Win_1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

You are already at a healthy weight....perhaps look into recomposition. That's where you eat at maintenance (or just a little below) and you work on body composition (fat to lean muscle ratio).

I believe @sardelsa was referring to what strength training program you are running. That's where you are going to shape the results.

This thread is excellent......
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1