am i on the right track?

Options
Hey everyone! For the past two weeks I have been going to the gym 4-5 days per week for 1-1 1/2 hour. I go straight into cardio. I do about 40-50 minutes of cardio including walking, elliptical, and some maching called octane fitness(bike and eliptical). Then I do weights. I do legs monday & Wednesday and Arms on Tuesday &Thursday. I do about 30lbs of 3-5 reps of 20 it just depends on the exercise.

Im just wondering if im on the right tract and if anyone has any suggestions to improve. Thanks so much.

Replies

• n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    do a little cardio to warm up...maybe like 10 mins...then lift. do heavier weight but less reps and make sure you are struggling by like last 2 or 3 reps. then do interval cardio after you lift.
  • JuicyJBaby3
    JuicyJBaby3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me!! I use the same regeimn just about. Good Luck!!!
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! For the past two weeks I have been going to the gym 4-5 days per week for 1-1 1/2 hour. I go straight into cardio. I do about 40-50 minutes of cardio including walking, elliptical, and some maching called octane fitness(bike and eliptical). Then I do weights. I do legs monday & Wednesday and Arms on Tuesday &Thursday. I do about 30lbs of 3-5 reps of 20 it just depends on the exercise.

Im just wondering if im on the right tract and if anyone has any suggestions to improve. Thanks so much.

First I think it is really great that you are putting in time for your fitness program.

Sounds like you are putting in great efforts. However, understand that in essence the way your are stacking the sequence of your cardio and weight training is backwards. Let me explain:

In order to really get the body to pull from the fat cell, you need to make efforts to reduce the glycogen in your muscle tissue to its lowest point before the body will do just that, so that means you execute weight training before cardio. Otherwise, on cardio you are just burning off the glycogen in the muscle and by the time you get to your weight training session, you have depleted what you need to fire the muscle effeciently and to get the most bang out of your efforts.

So here is how you will get super results and much better fat loss while keeping a toned lean muscle:

Warm up 5 mins. on cardio equipment of your choice
    Stretch (important!!!) Full body stretch before hitting the weights (I can help you with that if you don't know the routine)
    Weight train
    Cardio
    Stretch

Also, if you want to maximize your fat loss even more and save time, try the HITT principle on your cardio which only takes 20 minutes but equals like 45 min. on a continuous cadance, looks like this:

2 min. warm up
    1 min. high intensity (2 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (5 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (8 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (11 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (14 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (17 min. mark)
    Last 2 minutes (18-20) are cool down, super low intensity

If you need more info, please message me. I will be more than happy to help.
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

First I think it is really great that you are putting in time for your fitness program.

Sounds like you are putting in great efforts. However, understand that in essence the way your are stacking the sequence of your cardio and weight training is backwards. Let me explain:

In order to really get the body to pull from the fat cell, you need to make efforts to reduce the glycogen in your muscle tissue to its lowest point before the body will do just that, so that means you execute weight training before cardio. Otherwise, on cardio you are just burning off the glycogen in the muscle and by the time you get to your weight training session, you have depleted what you need to fire the muscle effeciently and to get the most bang out of your efforts.

So here is how you will get super results and much better fat loss while keeping a toned lean muscle:

Warm up 5 mins. on cardio equipment of your choice
    Stretch (important!!!) Full body stretch before hitting the weights (I can help you with that if you don't know the routine)
    Weight train
    Cardio
    Stretch

Also, if you want to maximize your fat loss even more and save time, try the HITT principle on your cardio which only takes 20 minutes but equals like 45 min. on a continuous cadance, looks like this:

2 min. warm up
    1 min. high intensity (2 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (5 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (8 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (11 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (14 min. mark)
    2 min. low
    1 min. high intensity (17 min. mark)
    Last 2 minutes (18-20) are cool down, super low intensity

If you need more info, please message me. I will be more than happy to help.

Yessssss!!!! Listen to this advice! She's giving you the guide to success and with it you will flourish!

Consistency is key and change up your weight training on the regular. There are some great apps that provide workouts for free. Fitplan has a free section that gives you tons of great workouts that I really recommend. There's also a website called Fitnessblender.com that you can tell it what tools you have (if any) to workout with and what you want to do and it will help you come up with exercises.

Lastly, exercise is not meant to be punishment! Once I finally realized that and quit working out with that as a motivating factor and instead used it as a way to increase and stretch the limits of what my body can accomplish, my perspective changed and it became a lot easier to get myself into the gym.

Best wishes!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Depends on your goals really? The advice on weight lifting energy above is dead on. I do 10 min Cardio, Abs then hit the weights for 60-90 min at the gym. I do Cardio at home stationary Biking 18-22 miles in 60 min three times a week for stress