Logging P90X?

Options
In the absence of a HRM (because it's not in the budget to get even an inexpensive one right now) how would you log P90X? Strength training? Circuit training? There's a HUGE difference between those two calorie burns... I know it supposedly burns up to 600 cals, but that seems quite high to me, although maybe the plyo one does burn that much (I haven't gotten there yet).

Replies

• Jessikat1624
    Jessikat1624 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. For now, I was using Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort bc it has 580 or so calories burned. and then just Yoga for the Yoga X. Not sure if that's right, but that's what I've been doing.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If I do it as calisthenics or circuit training, they both come up at 513 cals for 60 minutes. That's what it would be if I did the 30 Day Shred workout 3 times. I personally don't have the same perceived exertion I have when I do something like 30 DS, so I don't feel like it burns the same calories. (I think it's better at building muscle, though.)

If I had to guess, I could just split the difference and put it halfway between "strength training" (which for me says 192/hr) and circuit training/calisthenics. I guess it doesn't much matter, at worst it's only a couple hundred off in either direction -- but if I'm doing it every day, that might be an issue over time.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi there..

I'm on Day 4 of P90X and I didn't start using a HRM until Day 3. My experience to this point based on the numbers I saw last night is that on a strength training night (Chest/Back, Arms/Shoulders etc.) I'm burning 200 calories/half hour but on plyometrics, I'm burning 300/half hour. I haven't add an issue with keeping up with the routines, just soreness afterwards so these numbers may be different for others :o)

I haven't checked the numbers with the addition of ab ripper x yet but I will tomorrow night.

I log P90X routines as cardiovascular under "my exercises"..

Feel free to send me a friend invite.

Kevin
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi there..

I'm on Day 4 of P90X and I didn't start using a HRM until Day 3. My experience to this point based on the numbers I saw last night is that on a strength training night (Chest/Back, Arms/Shoulders etc.) I'm burning 200 calories/half hour but on plyometrics, I'm burning 300/half hour. I haven't add an issue with keeping up with the routines, just soreness afterwards so these numbers may be different for others :o)

I haven't checked the numbers with the addition of ab ripper x yet but I will tomorrow night.

I log P90X routines as cardiovascular under "my exercises"..

Feel free to send me a friend invite.

Kevin

Thanks, that's helpful! How does that compare to what you burn in a 30 min jog, or other activity? (To give me some idea what you burn, since that varies.)