Good books?

Options
grimms11208
grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
Hi All,

Going to the library today and wondering if anyone has read anything good lately...I don't really have time to browse for too long and would love some suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What do you like?

If you like scifi/fantasy, check out George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series. I read it (way before it became an HBO series) and it's really, REALLY good.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. Those are the two I read most recently, and I loved them both.
  • jjennings0424
    jjennings0424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just finished Water for Elephants and I am now reading The Help! I would recommend both!! They are wonderful!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What kind of books do you read/prefer?
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What kind of books do you enjoy? Right now I'm reading Neal Gaiman's "Stardust" but it's more of a teen fantasy book. I have a bunch of books on my shelves that I haven't yet gotten to!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you like crime cases, I suggest James Paterson, if you like romance, Nora Roberts
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games series
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What do you like?

If you like scifi/fantasy, check out George RR Martin's Game of Thrones series. I read it (way before it became an HBO series) and it's really, REALLY good.

I have heard of those I was thinking about them I am also going to try and pick up the first Hunger game...I am a girl so I like romances, mystery, basically novels but I like scifi stuff too! Honestly, I kind of like everything as long as it is engaging I can get lost in a book. I just read Water for Elephants it was fantastic.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games series

Definitely! I just finished my third round of reading those :smile:
  • Slavic_Spice
    Slavic_Spice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Room, by Emma Donaghue. I couldn't put it down.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I just finished Water for Elephants and I am now reading The Help! I would recommend both!! They are wonderful!

I can't wait to go watch The Help! I think it comes out August 23rd.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed I, Claudius. Sort of historical fiction. Once you get past the family tree, it's a riveting read.

Also, The World According to Garp by John Irving is fantastic, if not a tad brutal.

Good luck! Just pick something up and read the first 2 pages. If you want to keep reading, then check it out. That's how I go about it if I forget my list. Lol
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Second (or third?) The Help and Water for Elephants.

Non-fiction? Jen Lancaster. Specifically "Such a Pretty Fat"
    Fiction? Jen Weiner. Specifially "Good in Bed"
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    have you read the Ladies no1 detective agency. I am 21 and love them and my mom is 51 and loves them. I also love all of John Irvings books.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games!!!! The serious was amazing. You won't be disappointed.
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    What do you like?

Just finished this book! I refuse to watch the HBO series until I finish the other 4.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Karen Kingsbury is a GREAT Christian author...she has series and stand alone books! I have almost read all of them! :)
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I just read Prayers and Lies by Sherri Wood Emmons, Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah and Red Water by Judith Freeman...they are a little heavy at times but all super good...I also just re-read Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts...one of my favorite all time books. I love anything she writes!
  • orleansmith
    orleansmith Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters for mystery (some with a slight romance) but her books are older. I also like Catherine Coulter who has different romance and FBI thriller novels.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love anything by Kristin Hannah but have heard a lot about the book "The Help" and that many people have enjoyed it. I have my Kindle and LOVE it!!!!