Leg Exercise Suggestions ?

Options
concetta1123
concetta1123 Posts: 28 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Since adding “leg day” to my strength training, I’ve seen huge improvement to my thighs and calves, they’re muscular and I love how they look! But I haven’t really seen my butt benefit from these exercises. I do deadlifts, weighted squats, hip raises on a bench, etc. yet none of them really seem to hit my glutes that much.

I don’t mind if my thighs and calves continue to grow, but do you guys know of any exercises that might hit the glutes a little more efficiently?

Thank you!

Replies

• KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Donkey Kicks, glute extensions on cable machine, single-leg deadlifts, and squats (activating those glutes from bottom to the top!!) seem to all do the trick for me :) Make sure you squeeze and progress will show!! I like the hip raises as well!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts and glute bridges are my main glute exercises. Also Romanian deadlifts, kickbacks, kettlebell swings and cable pull throughs. You may have to play around with different exercises to see what works for your glutes. Learning how to activate them can help. Also as they get stronger you should be able to feel them more. Try playing around with foot position or adding bands too.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras is totally the go-to guy here. He has book and work out plan, Strong Curves, a website and is super fun to follow on insta. He shares a ton of great advice, including how some folks really struggle with glute activation. For sure look into hip thrusts.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Repeating the recommendation to check out Bret Contreras. I decided against Strong Curves personally, but I did start doing a glute activation routine he recommends a few weeks ago and feel like it's really helped get things firing. If you have access to Amazon's US store, the routine is actually in the Strong Curves free sample, which is handy!
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lunges. That's all you need.
    Do walking Lunges. 4-5 sets of 16 (8 per leg).
    If you find those easy add a few kg's to each hand. Increase this weight by 1kg every week.

Come back after that and tell me it doesn't hurt / work.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use light(er) dumbbells and ankle weights. Obviously adjust based on your current strength/fitness, but my leg routine is:

Front squats: 20lb dumbbells, 2 sets of 8 reps, 1 set of 12 (if I weren't having surgery later this week, next week it'd be 1 set of 8, 2 sets of 12)

Side squats with cardio step: Same as above, each leg

Front lunges: 15lb dumbbells, 2 sets of 12 (alternating legs, so really 24 lunges), 17.5lb dumbbells, 1 set of 8

Donkey kicks: 9lb ankle weights, 1 set of 8, 2 sets of 12, each leg
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything in Strong Curves.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq, just downloaded the sample on my phone and am now walking the park track reading it.
    So far haven't trod on any dogs. :)

Cheers, h.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Weighted donkey kicks (I get on the floor and use the hamstring curl machine) and single leg glute bridges (one leg up in the air) are my two favorites for really targeting the glutes
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Repeating the recommendation to check out Bret Contreras. I decided against Strong Curves personally, but I did start doing a glute activation routine he recommends a few weeks ago and feel like it's really helped get things firing. If you have access to Amazon's US store, the routine is actually in the Strong Curves free sample, which is handy!

Thanks for sharing that too!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts, weighted squats, hip raises on a bench, etc. yet none of them really seem to hit my glutes that much.

Try increasing the weight. :+1:
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'll second hip thrusts and I love a good reverse squat or two!