Machines - are they totally useless??

Options
I know machines aren't as effective as free weights, but are they completely a waste time or can they still be beneficial *in addition to* core free weight lifts? I'm a 34 female, not really trying to build any crazy strength, just wanting to 'tone up' my legs, butt, and abs especially (yes I know there is no such thing as 'toning' but you know what I mean). My lifts are pretty pathetic weight-wise for the moment, I do dumbbell squats, hip thrusts, lunges (though I have balance issues so I kind of hate them and often skip) and deadlifts along with some upper body stuff; but I still find machines like the leg curl for instance really seems to work my hamstrings and I can feel it the next day, or even the hip adduction which I heard is one of the most useless machines, I can really feel the 'burn' in my inner thighs, even more than after squats. I also see really fit people on machines all the time, so they can't be as pointless as they say? Lol. Thoughts? Are they helpful or waste of time?

Replies

• staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I use machines for plenty of my workouts. Today was leg day and I used these machines: leg press, leg extension, calf raises. Hip abduction (both out and in machines) can still help strengthen the stabilising muscles to prevent injury. I used free weights for lunges, and the stability ball for hamstring curls. For back and biceps or shoulders/chest/triceps, I also use a mixture of machines and free weights. I've definitely noticed a difference in my body since starting in January. I workout with a friend who is a former semi-professional athlete (in swimming and triathlons) and she's the one who's developed the program for us and makes sure we have proper form.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Machines have a place in some programs. it all depends on what you want. If all you are doing is just randomly jumping from machine to machine, you would get a lot more out of incorporating some free weight exercises into your routine. Those fixed machines isolate muscles and take away all the stability. But if your happy just doing machines, do that. I use a couple machines in my program, cable machines, leg press etc, , but my program also has compound barbell lifts and dumbbells etc. If you see a fit person on a machine, that probably isn't all they are doing.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I use machines after compound lifts as accessories to said compound lifts. I see fit people and unfit people on machines...this is not a great way to judge the effectivness of any piece of equipment.

Does your program have you using machines? Are you following a program?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Depends on the machine and the exercise. There is not blanket machines are always worse than free weights or vice versa.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've done free weights for 3+ years, then did a mostly-machine program at the Y for several months. I saw a lot of benefits from the program, do I say, yes there are benefits to machines. Whether you do machines or free weights, an organized program is key, as is your own consistency in doing it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I use machines sometimes. Never JUST machines and it's never willy nilly. There's always a reason why...sometimes the reason is the fact that I'll walk out of the gym if I have to do single arm DB lateral raises, but I might not walk out if I get on the machine :)

It's all high rep accessory work to my compound lifts if I use them though. Mostly for leg curls.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I use machines, free weights, and body weight depending on what is available on a particular day.

Nothing wrong with using machines exclusively as long as you are following a programme. I do like to incorporate yoga, Pilates or a core class if I am doing pure machine (usually when I am away from home for a month or two).

Here are a couple that may interest you. They are not in the thread that I linked in your other post.
    This one gives you a 5x5 using either barbell, dumbbell, or machine. A good read too.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

This one is pretty good too though I have never used the smith machine, just do those lifts with free weights.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want I guess. I am not massively building muscle or anything but I tend to do compound / free weights / machines through the year just to keep things interesting if nothing else!

I found a lot of positives to all areas of workouts once I had a personal trainer for two months - she showed me the benefits of all equipment (and body weight exercise too) - as long as its done properly. So no I don't thing machine's are useless - far from it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Plenty of HIT routines are built around machines.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Machines aren't just one homogeneous item - they vary hugely in design, use and usefulness.
    And a lot of the time it's what is done with the equipment available is the major determining factor - the person's workout, intensity and programming.

Compare a lat pull down machine to a using a barbell for a wrist curl for example.
    But them compare a barbell squat to the adductor/abductor machine (I'm not allowed to use that as apparently it's compulsory to have a pony tail and catch up on social media while using it..... ;) )

I see poor workouts done with free weights just as much as I see poor workouts with machines.

Personally I tend to use a combination of free weights, machines, cable machines and body weight exercises at different times.
    There's machines I never use (weighted crunch machine - a.k.a. the osteopaths pension provider) and there's also many exercises I never do with free weights.

^ The bolded are the most important points to take away from this discussion, IMO.

Dogmatically stating that machines are useless, without considering one's goals, capabilities/limitations, personal preferences, programming, etc. is a ridiculous contention.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

HIIT using weight machines?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Hopefully they're talking about HIT vs HIIT. Two completely different (and unrelated) things.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Hopefully they're talking about HIT vs HIIT. Two completely different (and unrelated) things.

Oops yup I mosread HIT as HIIT. Haven't had my caffeine yet lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They have their place. I wouldn't personally use them as the foundation of my workout. When I use machines, they are usually the cable variety because 1) that's the only machines in my gym; and 2) they still allow for free range of motion while other machines give you a fixed path.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I meant. One 'I'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_training

A lot of HIT routines are extra slow and heavy, and so suggest machines to avoid dropping stuff on your head.