5lbs a week?

Options
Hi, is it okay to set goal to lose 5lbs a week? Any feedback or experiences?

Replies

• mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight, the first week will possibly yield 5 lbs or more (mostly water) , but after that it slows down. My experience is that week 2 and after, it goes down to 1-2 lbs per week.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This is not at all reccomended as you will have to eat very little and you will lose a lot of muscle as well. What is your body weight now? As a coach I normally have my clients lose between 0.5% and 1% of their body weight per week, so if you are 300lbs that would be at most 3 lbs per week
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're 500lbs+ and even then you would have to eat well below the recommended daily amount for nutrition for an adult which would not be healthy. It would require a 2500 calorie deficit daily.

As others have said it's normal to see a large drop of water weight in the first couple of weeks but you shouldn't expect to lose more than 1% of your body weight on average as a goal.
  • sjursonal
    sjursonal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft tall and 150lbs. My goal is to lose until 110lbs in 3 months.. is that possible. Cardio 3times a day. Trying to maintain 800 cal daily. Im on my 1st week now. Havent got the chance to weigh again after a week.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    sjursonal wrote: »
    Im 5ft tall and 150lbs. My goal is to lose until 110lbs in 3 months.. is that possible. Cardio 3times a day. Trying to maintain 800 cal daily. Im on my 1st week now. Havent got the chance to weigh again after a week.

Are you being medically supervised by your doctor while doing this? That low calorie intake will likely do two things: 1) insufficiently fuel your body including your organs (brain, heart, kidney, liver, etc), 2) your hair and nails will become brittle, skin sallow, and burn through a fair amount of muscle. If your end goal is to be unhealthy and look horrible, your plan is likely to do that.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Your body is not going to burn through 5lbs of fat a week. That is unsustainable and you will form no long term habits to maintain. This is a strategy for failure.

Go slowly on this. Don't implement any change you aren't going to keep doing for the rest of your life. Think in terms of identifying "bad" habits that harm your goals and replacing these with "good" habits that support your goals. Don't try to remove a bad habit without replacing it with another one - our brains are not wired this way and this leads to failure. Don't try and do this with more than one habit at a time.

Changing your behavior is difficult, but well worth it.
  • sjursonal
    sjursonal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all guys for your feedback. It helps a lot. I also noticed that most of the time durong my 1st week i dropped 5lbs then the nxt week slows down that tends me to give up most of the time. Hopfuly, to continue this journey...
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Not a healthy rate of loss, I'm afraid. At that rate you will end up consuming more than fat, unnecessarily stressing your body, and possibly making yourself sick. And as soon as you start trying to eat again, your body will react by making you crazy hungry, and storing as much as possible to gsin it all back and then some.
    Also, because it is unhealthy, MFP generally closes threads where someone tries to argue that very low calorie diets are a good idea.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

800 calories per day is less food than a toddler needs. You should not be aiming to eat less than 1200 net calories. set yourself to lose 1lb per week in MFP and eat to what it says.

Edited for mis-reading lol
  • jericamom
    jericamom Posts: 49 Member
    Options

not sure if you're trolling or just really have no idea how weigh loss works?

I presume start weight is 250lbs if you're wanting to lose 110lbs. 800 calories per day is less food than a toddler needs. You should not be aiming to eat less than 1200 net calories and if you are 250lbs you can certainly lose weight eating double what you're eating now.

OP wants to lose UNTIL 110 pounds. Not lose 110 pounds. I mis-read it originally, also.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks all guys for your feedback. It helps a lot. I also noticed that most of the time durong my 1st week i dropped 5lbs then the nxt week slows down that tends me to give up most of the time. Hopfuly, to continue this journey...

As other posters have stated, that initial big weight loss is often water weight - this is normal. A steady 0.5-1lb a week will be fast enough. Never rush weight loss because you'll only put it back on.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Exactly! Bodies aren't designed to lose that fast without being quite ill. Evolutionarily, they are designed tonight try to store fat when you near starvation and just past to keep you from dying. So the only way to lose safely is to do it a bit slower. At your current weight it is safer to aim for half to one pound a week. And work on finding the bad habits and small changes, to make ut permament and sustainable.

Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after dinner?Maybe more fats during.
    It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
    Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. Plus, when you do backslide, you are less likely to drop everything, just one or two habits, that can then be fixed again. Otherwise, trying to everything at once, means that you are likely to leave out something important (like weighing food), and pay excessive attention to things that aren't. (Like fiber drinks and vinegar)
    Don't demonize foods that don't actually make you feel bad. Obviously if you have food sensitivities avoid those things, but don't cut out all your favorite goodies because they are not "healthy". Think of your calories as a type of currency. You should purchase the nutrient rich stuff first, budget for regular treats, and don't waste any calories on stuff you hate, even if it is theoretically good for you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Good mindset to have - be realistic and honest in self analysis.

5 lb drop in weight is water. 16 oz of water is ~1 lb. Our bodies are ~55-65% water so this is understandable. For reference my weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day and I can easily lose 5 lbs of water weight on a run.
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why are you in such a hurry to lose 30 lbs so quickly? I am 100lbs overweight and I would HATE to set myself up to lose 5 lbs per week. You gotta eat. I suggest you follow what others have said, take it slow. Shoot for 1- 2 lbs per week and you will have all the support you need.

Also, FYI, posts and advice regarding unhealthy and dangerous weight loss is against the forum rules. If you set some realistic goals you will have plenty of people behind you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.