How many times a day do i eat?

Options
I was wondering how many meals y'all have a day including snack time.I get hungry when im bored or stressed so sometimes i have tk change my goals.How many meals do y'all eat a day?Which is the most effective?

Edit:I plan joining MA soon

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat three full meals and like to have a snack at 9:00 AM.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You aren't hungry when you get bored or stressed. This is appetite and formed by habit. Change those habits.

Hunger comes on slowly and is your body's need to fuel. Appetite is sudden and driven by habits, emotions, hormones. A key to successful weight management is understanding the difference and developing coping strategies to respond to appetite signals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    once a day, 27 times a day... makes no difference... if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight.

i eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, pre workout snack, tea, supper sometimes
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

My schedule goes:
    10am snack
    1:30pm lunch
    4pm snack
    7-9pm dinner

It works for me. But what may work for me, may not work for you.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It really depends on if you are trying to hit macros too. For example, if you are trying to get in 250 g protein per day, 2 - 3 meals would be very difficult. If you are just trying to get 100g protein, then you get get away with 2 - x meals.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You have to see what works best for you.

I eat 6-8x per day which works for me. Usually 2 larger meals and the rest small meals or snacks.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    As many as you like to keep you feeling full and energised, it makes no direct difference to weight loss.

On weekdays I have:
    • Before I leave for work - OJ & Greens and Protein Bar
    • Around 10am - Breakfast
    • Around 1pm - Lunch
    • Around 3pm - Fruit/Nuts
    • Around 8-10pm - Dinner
    • Occasionally an evening snack

On weekends I have:
    • When I wake up - OJ & Greens
    • Around 11am-2pm - Brunch
    • Around 5pm - Dinner
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I eat 6-7 times a day; bfast, lunch, dinner with 3-4 snacks. This is not more or less effective. I just like to eat.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are one of the "normal" people you may find that 3 meals a day plus a mid-afternoon snack is a good schedule. The bigger meal is usually at night. I have a unique medical condition that requires me to be less conventional.

You may need to tweak the conventional schedule though based on your activity levels and when they happen in the day and controlling your hunger.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I generally eat 2 or 3 full meals, 1 or two small snacks and usually something before bed, depending on how hungry I am and how many calories are available still.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat 3 meals a day and a snack before bed. This fits my life and schedule best and keeps me feeling satisfied as far as appetite is concerned.
    It’s best to do what will work in your life.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    2 to 6, lately it seems mostly two meals and a snack, but that is because we have been sleeping in, so breakfast doesn't happen until lunch time.
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    3-5ish times on weekdays and 2-3 times on weekends

Typical Weekday:
    • Pre-workout breakfast (coffee & sometimes yogurt or cereal)
    • Real Breakfast (eggs and sausage, usually in omelette form)
    • Snack (maybe)
    • Lunch (size depends on planned dinner)
    • Dinner (size depends on what I had for lunch)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Its going to vary from person to person, do what works for you. The main thing is eating the right amount of calories to lose, the timing or number of meals doesn't matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many meals y'all have a day including snack time.I get hungry when im bored or stressed so sometimes i have tk change my goals.How many meals do y'all eat a day?Which is the most effective?

Edit:I plan joining MA soon

Most effective for what? How many meals you eat a day doesn't really matter for anything other than your own personal preference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you like. I hate snacking, and eat 3 full meals most days, but on Fridays or the weekend I often eat only twice (on Friday's I may go to a restaurant before the theater or symphony, so eat lighter before that, and on the weekend I may wait and just have a late breakfast/early lunch instead of breakfast and lunch). I sometimes skip breakfast if in a hurry, it doesn't bother me, but I usually enjoy having a nice breakfast.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes to down to having a calorie deficit. How you divide and spread your calories out depends on what works best for you and your lifestyle.

If you are eating when you are bored or stressed you might want to try different coping stategies instead of altering meal times.
    Like meditation, music, art, talking to someone, journaling, exercise, or cleaning for example.

I generally eat like this:
    Breakfast 8 am- 100 to 300 calories
    Lunch noon- 400 calories
    Dinner 6 pm- 500 to 600 calories
    Snacks 3-4 pm and 8-9 pm- 100 to 300 calories

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sometimes once a day sometimes 6 times a day. Normally I eat 3 meals and a snack or two. For myself I like smaller breakfast and lunch and a larger dinner. I'll have a snack between lunch and dinner and if calories allow a snack after dinner while binge watching Netflix. I like eating at night it has became a habit for years so I plan accordingly. My schedule is all over the place. I just stay in a deficit.