Anyone else just have a baby?

Options
Hello :)!!!! I am 4 months post pardom with my first son! I am 5’ 1 and currently weigh 175 pounds. My pre-pregnancy weight was 130 and I was that weight for over 5ish years. I am so motivated to lose the baby weight! Before my son I never counted calories or watched what I ate, I just exercised a toooon. Now after having him, I can’t exercise as much and have to teach myself to track what I eat! It’s so hard!!!! Anyway, Hi out there :) I could use all the friends / motivation I could get out there!

Replies

• robynsklar
    robynsklar Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My baby is 10 weeks old and I’ve started to actively loose the weight. I’m 5 feet 4 inches and normally 127 pounds. Currently 141 pounds.I have my MFP goal at 0.5 pounds a week. I mix nursing with formula so I’m not getting the calories 100% nursing moms get. For me, nursing makes loosing harder.

I’ve used MFP after my first child and it really worked. It just takes a long time. In the last 6 weeks I’ve lost 5 pounds.
  • vicsinclair
    vicsinclair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey - my girl is 4mths too - she's my 4th in 5 yrs and my goodness my body is ready for weight loss!! How many extra calories do you allow for breastfeeding and how do I enter that in to mfp daily allowance?
  • nicoleopela
    nicoleopela Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My 2nd and last baby is 3.5 weeks old. I am not released to start exercising yet and if I am honest it will probably be a while before I take the time away from the kids to workout regularly so I am really just focusing on getting in the habit (again) of tracking calories. I am nursing too so I am very concerned about making sure my supply stays intact.

I am 5'3" currently 175 lbs and size 14/16. My goal is under 150 lbs and size 8 or smaller. I got down to 155 and a size 10 in 2013 before I got pregnant with my 1st baby from counting calories and exercise. I am not in a hurry so I don't have a goal date, I just want to make some progress month after month.
  • phumzilesiboza7
    phumzilesiboza7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm 3 months PP and looking to lose 28kg (57Lbs) would also like some friends keep me motivated. The last time I was in the best shape of my life I was using MFP and exercising. This is my 3rd week of running 3 times a week and doing body weight strength training once a week. I can feel my fitness ticking up slowly I just need more discipline with what goes in my mouth but man breastfeeding makes me hungry ALL THE TIME. Please any moms who are on this journey please add me as well.
    xoxo
  • abepass
    abepass Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to fitness pal. I had a baby approximately nine months ago and unfortunately also sustained an injury. I have actually gained 10 lbs post baby bump and it can be quite daunting. In constant pain but trying my hand at walking to begin the journey. Have always been about 150 lbs. Aiming for 130. I have a lot of weight to lose and would appreciate the support.
  • schmarahscott
    schmarahscott Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey there mommies- I feel your pain (or should I feel your motivation?) I am 5’7’’ and normal weight is 145, but I am currently 169. After my first baby, I did not lose much weight and am now 5 weeks postpartum with my second babe. Not up for much exercise yet other than light walks, but definitely ready to start tracking calories. I’m shooting for around 2k/day to help maintain milk supply. Does that sound like a calorie goal in which I could still lose weight? Thanks for the wisdom!
    Sarah
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to all of you.

My eldest granddaughter is 5 months pp. Recently I mended a pair of her tiny pre pregnancy trousers for her to wear again, she is already wearing them. She has nursed each feed till now. Baby was solid and just shy of 19lb at his last weigh in, he started big. I'm amazed.

I've been reading into the art of feeding and the mother's body knows what the baby needs in each and every feed, even adding extra fluid to quench thurst. Back in my day we were told to add solids way before this even under a month or add formula but still add solids at two/three months. Please rely on your bodies to know what baby needs.
  • jillij7
    jillij7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hope you are enjoying motherhood! It's definitely hard losing weight after a baby.. I'm still trying after baby #2! Adding you for support! :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Hey there mommies- I feel your pain (or should I feel your motivation?) I am 5’7’’ and normal weight is 145, but I am currently 169. After my first baby, I did not lose much weight and am now 5 weeks postpartum with my second babe. Not up for much exercise yet other than light walks, but definitely ready to start tracking calories. I’m shooting for around 2k/day to help maintain milk supply. Does that sound like a calorie goal in which I could still lose weight? Thanks for the wisdom!
    Sarah
    @schmarahscott I'm reposting this here for you:

Here's what I recommend: Set your account to maintenance for 3 or 4 weeks. Set the correct activity level. If you're a SAHM, it's likely that you're at least lightly active. Log your exercise and eat back those calories. Follow that calorie goal and log all of your food with MFP. A food scale helps with that. Find a weight trending app that shows your rate of loss and deficit per day (like Libra) and start weighing yourself and tracking your weight loss trend. Do that consistently for 3 or 4 weeks, and you'll know what kind of deficit breastfeeding is creating.

I don't recommend losing more than a pound a week, or starting off by eating in a deficit when you don't know what breastfeeding is doing deficit-wise on its own. I'm nursing my soon to be one year old and losing about a pound a week with 2070 a day. I'm 5'1" and 137 pounds. My maintenance calories are likely higher than that since my baby is older but I won't really know until he weans. I've tracked with Libra the last year and my deficit has averaged out to 556 calories a day, but on a day to day basis that can vary a lot depending on a variety of factors. Is your baby sick? Teething? Are you needing to pump extra to leave with your baby? Baby starting solids? Does your baby just like to nurse all day and night? All of that stuff influences how many calories you burn by expressing milk, and nobody is going to be able to figure that out for you. That's why I recommend collecting your own data over time and adjust as you go.

So if you're breastfeeding, don't try to set your account to lose one pound a week and guess at how many calories breastfeeding burns. Start out by eating at maintenance for your current weight and adjust after 3 or 4 weeks so that you aren't losing more than a pound a week.
  • schmarahscott
    Options
    Thanks for the advice- I’m impressed that you have your caloric goal set at such a specific number. I’ve downloaded Libra and will start weighing myself tomorrow morning. Did the libra app do all of those calorie calculations for you in order to find your ideal deficit? Or was that more through MFP?
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    Thanks for the advice- I’m impressed that you have your caloric goal set at such a specific number. I’ve downloaded Libra and will start weighing myself tomorrow morning. Did the libra app do all of those calorie calculations for you in order to find your ideal deficit? Or was that more through MFP?

I've been tracking everything for the last year and adjusting as I went along. At the end of the week I can see what my daily deficit is and adjust as needed. Sometimes I adjust manually in the app and sometimes I go with the recommendation MFP gives depending on how close the numbers are. I'm currently sticking with my old calorie recommendation for a higher weight and that's working well.

Libra will show you what your daily deficit is once it collects enough data. I use both together with the help of my Fitbit to make sure it all adds up correctly. I could in theory use just my Fitbit at this point since it's been really accurate for me (and I do for my calorie adjustment with steps) but I'm a data nerd so I like to use them all together to see how accurate they all are.
  • schmarahscott
    Options
    Gotcha- I should dust off my old Fitbit, but i bet the numbers will be depressing at this stage of constant nursing (sitting on the couch). Thanks again!
  • DomesticKat
    Options
    Gotcha- I should dust off my old Fitbit, but i bet the numbers will be depressing at this stage of constant nursing (sitting on the couch). Thanks again!

Oh don't I know it. Mine have increased pretty significantly as time goes on, we all have to start somewhere!
  • Jbgf73
    Jbgf73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 11.5 months post partum with twins, my first and a BIG surprise. I am 5' 3" and used to weigh around 140 pre pregnancy. My weight after the twins were born stayed around 165 to 170 until recently. I started logging in MFP in February at 9 months post partum. That is when I finally started seeing my weight drop. I used to be like you, I was super active and never had to worry or keep track of how much I ate. But it is hard to keep active when you have a young baby that you are taking care of. It is hard to keep myself motivated to track my food, but that is the only way right now that I continue to lose the baby weight. I have tried several times since February to stop tracking, but each time I did that I gained weight back :P so I am trying really hard to keep at it now. It helps to use online recipes and just copy and paste the link, or to set up a few "meals" that you eat often. Today I made it down to 155.3 lbs and I am pretty excited about it. Just need to stick to it...also, online workout videos and having friends to work out and lose weight with helps a ton. And with the weather getting nicer out it makes it easier to take the kids out for long walks in the stroller. Interval walking and interval running usually has really good results...I need to do more of that myself.
  • schmarahscott
    Options
    Well I’m feeling pretty low- getting ready to leave the house today and none of my pants fit- even the “worst case scenario” fat pants from the back of my closet don’t button. Guess this will be month 6 of stretchy pants every day? At least I still have nice pregnancy hair... if only it covered my *kitten*!
  • simpsonla13
    simpsonla13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, 5 weeks post partum with my first. Exercise has only been walks so far (had an EMCS) but now feel like I'm at a point I can semi-watch my food and eat 3 meals a day.
    Had a very relaxed pregnancy so went from 146lb to 197 eek. Currently at 164. Would like to get down to previous weight of 127 though.
    Keeping the maternity clothes on for the foreseeable future, not gonna depress myself trying on jeans!
    Looking for motivation so feel free to add me!
  • bsrlee9961
    bsrlee9961 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My second baby was born in January. I too am looking to loose this weight. I wish us all the best of luck! We can do it
  • christinaemclean
    christinaemclean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just gave birth to my son on April 22, 2018 and ended up gaining like 60 pounds during my pregnancy. My pre-pregnancy weight was 135 and i ended weight ing 196lbs. Feel free to add my as a friend and share tips with me.
  • schmarahscott
    Options
    Is anyone else feeling SO SO SO hungry while breastfeeding? I feel like there is no amount of food that will satiate me! Help! Trying not to bust my calorie goals!
  • greenjlr
    greenjlr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quaker breakfast bars and a bottle of water hold me sometimes. When I rather eat a whole cheesesteak or cheesecake