What to do about regular business travel

Options
I travel about a week a month for business. I can usually control breakfast and lunch pretty well, and the hotel usually has a gym, but dinner is always a challenge. It is usually at a non-chain fancy restaurant.

I need help in figuring out what to order and how to log it. I want to stay within my calories for the day, but often there is no nutritional info online and what you think is lower calorie may not be. At Morton's Steakhouse, for example, the salmon can have more calories than some of the steaks, and salads are not necessarily lower in calories depending on what's in them and the dressing.

Ethnic restaurants are also challenging because there's no equivalent to look up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make sure I'm not going over my calorie limit and how are you regular business travelers out there managing?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going ahead of time, look in the database for the restaurant or a chain that might have similar items. Morton’s is in the database, if not, Ruth’s Chris or Fleming’s or Outback. If going to an Italian place, log a similar dish from Olive Garden or Carrabas. I always try to get an estimate of the calorie hit of the things I am considering before I order them.

It can be challenging at work dinners since people tend to order more food than if they were paying the bill. I try to prioritize what I really want to eat and skip what just seems meh. If I’m going to a steak place I will get steak and have a nice glass of wine, but skip appetizers, bread, etc. If a place has a great dessert menu I may just get an appetizer or a side salad and then order dessert. If you are traveling with the same people on a regular basis then there’s nothing wrong with saying you are going to sit one out and get some work done back at the hotel - so that you can pick up something more calorie friendly and/or get an extra workout in.

I often rely on local grocery stores to pick up a prepared salad and take it back to my hotel room to catch up on emails when I’m traveling for work. No one seems to mind if I’m not at every dinner, people tend to get tired of the work niceties after a day or two and just want some alone time if they are away from family.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    If I’m going to be expected to participate in a lunch or dinner where I anticipate I may eat more than I intend, I skip breakfast or get in a work-out.

Then at dinner, an appetizer and side salad is plenty of food. Or, a steak with a side of veg is often available and not too calorific. One alcoholic drink, then seltzer with lime.

And if the work is stressful, take the edge off with a midday walk or time-out alone.

Good luck!
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Try to look for items that are grilled/steamed/baked and ask to substitute fries with baked potatoes/vegetables/salad. Raw options like sushi, tuna/steak tartar or beef carpaccio are great to get some protein in. Sides are always a good add-in option if you feel whatever lean plate you ordered is not enough.

If the dish comes with sauce (steak, salad fish..), tell them to bring it in a little bowl so you can pour over however much you want (or spoon it out and this way you can accurately log in the quantity) instead of having it served on top already. If it's a salad, another option is to substitute the heavier dressing for olive oil and vinegar which you can portion out for yourself.

As other users said, skip the bread and appetizers.
    I have a glass of red wine (less sugar content than white wine) and a tea instead of dessert. If you feel like dessert, order fruit and/or yoghurt.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hubby travels a bit and deals with this often. He does one of two things: Eats a light hotel breakfast and skips lunch to make sure he has some leeway with dinner. Or, at dinner he will typically order an 8-10oz steak, skip the potato and get a salad AND a veggie. He doesn't log (the jerk loses by eyeballing portions; it's slow, but he won't log/weigh portions).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Guesstimate calories by ingredients and assume portion sizes then add 300 calories to any given entree to account for 'hidden' butter and oil.

I eat out quite often for both personal and business. As a very general rule of thumb, I've found that barring any obviously high or low calorie preparations (for example, fried food, cheese sauces, steamed diet offerings, etc.), most restaurant entrees seem to contain something in the range of 1000 calories give or take. Appetizers tend to fall into the 500-600 range and desserts between 500 and 1000, depending on if it's meant to be shared.

Assuming an appetizer and dessert split two ways and one entree, a full fancy restaurant meal easily runs between 1500 and 2000 calories. You can cut that by half or more by skipping the app and/or dessert, by making a smart choice on your entree selection, and by watching out for portion sizes.

Steakhouses are tough because portion sizes tend to be massive and they drench their meat in butter. On the plus side, Morton's and the like will usually offer some kind of raw/rare tuna appetizer and/or entree. If you skip the high calorie sides and watch portions on the tuna you should be able to get out with a very reasonable amount of calories. Likewise, raw bar items tend to be relatively low calories. Steak is absolutely fine, but watch portion sizes and be aware that they will be finished with copious amounts butter.

One tip - if you are traveling often for business with others and the dinners aren't for clients, etc. then it's OK to beg off a fancy dinner every night. I do this not only for diet reasons but also for my own sanity. It's fine to need time away from your work colleagues. When I travel on longer trips, I try to limit extended dinners out with colleagues to once every three or four days or so (basically two per week, tops). The rest of my dinners are either room service, something quick by myself, or something very casual and quick with anybody else who wants to do something low key.

Finally - bring your own snacks or load up upon arrival for your hotel room. This gives you the freedom to skip or skimp on a couple of arranged dinners.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can likely order away from the exact menu too. I usually order a vegetable side (broccoli, mixed veg, asparagus, etc) and ask for a piece of chicken, like what they would add to a salad. This leaves room for a beer and I know the portion won't be massive.
  • mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little crazy but I will buy a salad/fruit and keep in hotel room frig. If I have a business dinner, I will eat in the room before dinner so I'm not very hungry going into the restaurant. I then try to just eat a little protein at dinner and only one glass of wine. People rarely notice what's left on yr plate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    make sensible choices and log a similar meal from another restaurant. If you get a salad, you can always get the dressing on the side.

My wife will often ask to replace the starch or grain with the meal and ask for double veg as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Grilled, no sauce, ask for veggies to be steamed or cooked without oil, if you get a salad be aware of the ingredients and get dressing on the side or ask for balsamic vinegar (or oil and vinegar and use the oil sparingly). Avoid or eat things like rice/potatoes in smaller amounts.

Steak or salmon or chicken grilled without sauce will generally be fine.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Most business hotels now have refrigerators in room (or have them available if you request one), and in-room or communal microwaves and toaster ovens where they serve breakfast or have convenience items for sale. I set myself up to only eat a small salad or broth/vegetable based soup as a starter and only half of the entree, and take the rest for the next day's lunch.

For ethnic restaurants, you'd be surprised what you can find in the MFP database - there are lots of small chains around the country that require posting nutrition information. Asian cuisines seem to be the trickiest to track due to variations in regional dishes, but I'd stick to grilled skewers, steamed or grilled fish dishes, steamed dumplings, protein heavy stir-fries that aren't velveted (dipped in corn/potato starch and flash-fried before going in the sauce), soups with lighter or miso broths (pork and beef are usually fattier, but adding chicken fat is pretty popular too), sashimi, and items with lots of fresh or pickled produce. And go light on the sauces, especially if they're sweet, creamy, or oil-based.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I travel either once a month for a week, or twice for 2-3 days at a time. I pack portion controlled baggies of nuts, nut butters, jerky, seaweed, and other things I eat regularly and use those for snacks. I order an egg white or egg omelet with veggies and turkey (I am on a keto diet) from the hotel, and for lunches and dinners, I stick to: grilled chicken or fish over a salad with no dressing and all non-vegetable ingredients on the side. Then I use the spoon at my place setting to portion out nuts, cheeses and any other salad items so that I know what I am eating. I ask for lemon juice and olive oil and use all the lemon juice and a spoon (probably a TBSP if it's a soup spoon) of the olive oil. I allow myself one glass of wine per trip and work out at the gym as much as my schedule allows. I don't eat bread, dessert, appetizers and really try to stick to the salad/protein approach as much as I can.

Even with all of these efforts I usually maintain or lose less than .5 lbs on these trips. Restaurant food is SO caloric. But before I took these measures, I had very slowly over a year gained about 7 lbs, and I am sure my increased travel schedule (when I was not as rigorous) had a lot to do with it.
  • worldgoround
    worldgoround Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did OK this time around. I brought bars with me for breakfast and lunch and had plain yogurt, which they fortunately had in the hotel shop, for 3:00 snack. Only ordered the entree for dinner and ate half, no alcohol and no dessert. Kept up my exercise. Managed to maintain and not gain, which is what I hoped. We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks in New Orleans. That might be a little tougher to resist temptation.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    When I’m on the road or eating out a lot, I add fake “restaurant overage calories” to the meal. I created a food entry that has the ratio of carbs, fats, and protein that match my goals, with 50cal per serving.

I log the restaurant meal as accurately as I can including cooking oils, then multiply the total for that meal by 20% if it’s something I can count or weigh or estimate very accurately (eggs for instance), or by 33% if it’s something harder to estimate (most restaurant foods). I add in that 20-33% as my “restaurant overage” entry.

From what I’ve heard, people underestimate the calories in meals out by about 40%, and restaurant reported calories in a given meal are usually off by 25-50%. I figure my 20% and 33% are low-ball figures, but so far it’s been working well for me, leaves a few calories at the end of the day, but also keeps me cognizant and honest in my goal to track accurately when I’m on the road.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do a lighter breakfast and pack enough healthy shelf stable options to make lunches (canned soup, hummus & whole grain flat bread, protein bars, etc...) if other healthy options aren't available. On a recent trip I packed my lunch cooler and ice pack in my carry on then picked up groceries at the store.

Dinner is usually a basic salad, protein and veggies. I usually skip the bread basket.

I always take the stairs at the hotel. I use the w,ork out room or go to a local park for exercise.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Considering restaurants have no interest in weight loss and can even make a grilled shrimp skewer 300ish calories you can kind of count on your entrée being on the 800ish side even for a lean meat. As mentioned look for steamed vegetable side, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes where you control the butter.

The one thing I have noticed that is generally safe is soup. Unless it is a loaded baked potato soup, most of them match up in the ballpark of a db entry. I am sure there will be exceptions to that rule but if I don't know for sure I would bet on soup first.

My best restaurant trick is for salads. To cut down on dressing without sacrificing taste you should ask for 3 or 4 lemon wedges depending on the size of the salad and squeeze them over and then season with salt and pepper. This will bring out more of the natural flavors of the vegetables. I can usually get by with half the dressing with this trick.
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Did OK this time around. I brought bars with me for breakfast and lunch and had plain yogurt, which they fortunately had in the hotel shop, for 3:00 snack. Only ordered the entree for dinner and ate half, no alcohol and no dessert. Kept up my exercise. Managed to maintain and not gain, which is what I hoped. We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks in New Orleans. That might be a little tougher to resist temptation.

Hey, sounds like you did great! I'm a flight attendant so I travel a lot, but unlike you probably don't stay in one place for as long. That being said, with our different situations, I try to pack all of my food, and maybe buy 1 meal while I'm gone (I'm often gone for 3-4 days at a time).
    For this trip (Canada-Germany, there for 25 hours, and back) I packed:
    - 2 protein bars
    - 2 servings of plain Greek yogurt and homemade high protein granola
    - Bean salad and half an avocado
    - 4 hard-boiled eggs
    - A bowl with quinoa, brocolli, chickpeas and a peanut satay sauce (packed separately)
    - leftover frozen polenta with roasted Brussel sprouts, chick peas and carrots
    - Snap peas, carrots and red pepper to snack on

I also pack portioned out unsalted almonds, always have these and can eat them if I'm super hungry/delayed.

I'll often make big batches of meals, portion them out and freeze them, they keep for longer and also will stay frozen for most of the flight (I am also able to put it in a fridge, which I realize as a passenger, you wouldn't) . I also pack ice packs in my lunch cooler. Im a vegetarian but it would also be easy to put chicken or fish in any of those meals. When it comes to restaurants, as others have said, try to stick to veggies, lean protein, etc. Try to drink lots of water.

I try to always go for a walk and in the morning before I leave I will work out at the hotel gym or go for a run.

Anyway, hope that helps even a little bit!