Losing weight, but not noticing changes in my body

Options
Granted, I've only lost 9 lbs so far, so I wasn't expecting any major changes, but I've noticed that my body looks more or less the same as it did when I started. I've noticed a big change in the amount of energy that I have, and exercises that used to be really difficult are getting easier all the time. Is the lack of physical change normal or is it that since I see myself everyday, I'm not realizing the small changes as they happen?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself and take pictures!
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs and don't see any physical difference either. Everyone else is seeing it, but I don't..
    I'm noticing the other changes... like having more energy and being able to do more than I could 20 lbs ago.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well I can tell you that you might not see much of the loss but your friend will notice and ask if your losing weight so stick with it and see what your friends say and if you want to you can add me as a friend as we might be in the same boat
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds as of today and just took my second round of measurements. Even though I haven't noticed any changes like my clothes fitting different or anything I have lost 3 inches in both my waist and hips. I think the changes are just subtle and therefore not easily seen with the naked eye...but I definitely noticed with my tape measure =)
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Put your head down and just keep pushing forward. If the scale is moving then you are improving

How long has it been?
  • kelbel76
    kelbel76 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 9.5 lbs and I don't see any difference yet but I am noticing that my clothes are getting looser.
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs so far and I cannot see any physical change but my pants are looser and I have on a shirt that I could not fit in almost two years! I feel better!
  • jjbnfo
    jjbnfo Posts: 15
    Options
    You're probably not noticing because you see yourself every day.

+1 to megz4987's comments.

And I'd add that you want to take the pictures in the same way. (e.g. same posture, same place in your house, with same lighting, standing same distance from the mirror you use at the same time in the morning with the same lights on etc etc etc).

The first things I noticed were that my jeans felt looser around the knee when I pulled my knees to my chest, and how my upper leg tightened up, leaving my wallet feeling loose in my pocket. You might notice small things like that first.

I'm just bummed I found this site after I lost my first 10 pounds, I'd probably have lost even more by now.

And don't forget that you've lost more than 9 pounds of fat, since you've built muscle in your workouts.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i never notice a change in myself. i lost 33 lbs and still feel the same sometimes. but then i look at pictures and it makes me realize how far i've come. plus all my "skinny" clothes that used to fit me from the time i was 16 til now (22) are all big for me :S i need a new wardrobe :)) what i suggest is take measurements every month! my waist went from 38.5 inches to 31.5inches(measurements taken from starting point of belly button) :)) . so it helps me stay motivated :))
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I used to say that a lot when I lost 10-20 pounds. I have even told friends that weight loss of that magnitude was not noticeable on me at all. The problem was, I wasn't paying attention enough! :)

I hated looking in mirrors at my fat body, so I wouldn't even look at myself until the scale went down 15-20 pounds - at which point, I would have no real reference but would just notice I still have weight to lose. It is very discouraging.

This time, I scanned my whole body completely naked. I made a mental note on how EVERY piece of clothing fit on me and how they looked. Every week, I would put on the same clothes in the morning and think - wow, those aren't quite as clingy as they were last week...maybe I'm seeing changes that aren't really there...then I'd put the same outfit on a week or two later and it wouldn't be clingy at all!

Seriously - these are changes that I would completely not see in myself because I was not paying attention!

I suggest taking your measurements now and spend some quality time in front of a full length mirror - both naked and with your clothes on and pay close attention as to how they fit you. You WILL begin to see a difference!!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I used to say that a lot when I lost 10-20 pounds. I have even told friends that weight loss of that magnitude was not noticeable on me at all. The problem was, I wasn't paying attention enough! :)

I hated looking in mirrors at my fat body, so I wouldn't even look at myself until the scale went down 15-20 pounds - at which point, I would have no real reference but would just notice I still have weight to lose. It is very discouraging.

This time, I scanned my whole body completely naked. I made a mental note on how EVERY piece of clothing fit on me and how they looked. Every week, I would put on the same clothes in the morning and think - wow, those aren't quite as clingy as they were last week...maybe I'm seeing changes that aren't really there...then I'd put the same outfit on a week or two later and it wouldn't be clingy at all!

Seriously - these are changes that I would completely not see in myself because I was not paying attention!

I suggest taking your measurements now and spend some quality time in front of a full length mirror - both naked and with your clothes on and pay close attention as to how they fit you. You WILL begin to see a difference!!

i was the same way :)) i would try on clothes that were way too tight, and once they've become loose i would think, "well maybe it's because i expanded it and it needs to be washed again" lol...
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.. lost 11 lbs in 8 weeks.. except I DO measure myself and there is only a 1 inch difference in my waist and 1 inch off my hips and bust.. my legs.. no diff.. I am working out like crazy... check my food diary if you like.. I eat VERY healthy whole foods mainly.. very into nutrition.. had thyroid issues but it is still in check.. VERY upsetting to NOT see differences with the tape measure.. where did the weight go?? I hear of people not losing actual weight but losing inches..
  • Scott_Parkinson
    Scott_Parkinson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the imput everyone! I am definately going to keep at it. The scale is moving down, and more importantly, I'm feeling a lot better about myself. It is good to know that most of you aren't seeing it in yourselves either.....I've been at this for about 2 1/2 months at this point (with a 10 day furlough) somewhere in there.....oops. My weight loss has been about a pound a week, and as of the last few weeks, I'm trying to exercise everyday (at least a moderate amount)......so I know I'm making strides, I'm just not noticing it. Thanks again for the advice and support! That's the best thing about this site...all of you willing to take the time to help a complete stranger.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat... though i could button my pants a little easier-- i still feel like ive got a muffin top!
  • GG70
    Options
    your lucky I have a bundt cake around me... : )
  • GG70
    Options
    ONE IMPORTANT THING I FORGOT TO MENTION!!!! I saw my doc this am and mentioned exactly this topic.. and he said..
    1. stop being so hard on yourself
    2. OUR BODIES ARE JUST GETTING PHYSIOLOGICALLY RAMPED UP AND IN GEAR TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAKE CHANGES AT AROUND 8 WEEKS... ALL THOSE WEEKS WERE PREPARATION FOR REAL FAT BURNING!!! HE SAID RESULTS SHOULD START SHOWING SOON.. JUST TO KEEP IT UP!!

SO I AM SHARING THE WEALTH HERE!!! GOOD LUCK!