Lost Motivation; trying again!

I’m on day two and I’m sitting at my desk at work staring at a bag of Cheetos.

I went to the gym yesterday and today. Ate so well yesterday and today. Refusing to cave.

One day at a time.

What if I have just one cheetoh......

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Cheetos will not keep you from losing weight as long as you still below your calorie limit. The easiest trick to portion controlling food you don't want eating up your calories is putting how much you can afford to eat in a baggy and keep the rest of them away from you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,516 Member
    Is there a manageable portion you can fit in your plan? If you can manage say 100 calories for Cheetos, is that going to be a satisfying portion?

Is one Cheeto going to mean all the Cheetos?

Weight loss is problem solving, over and over again.

But if this is day 2, what are you doing with Cheetos? As you are finding out, staring down food is a hard road to travel. If you need snacks, you will need to work in some better options. Agree that crossing foods off your list forever is not so good, but salty crunchy snacks generally have to be carefully managed.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    My rule of thumb with these foods is this: what is the smallest amount that I can be satisfied with? If it adds up to manageable calories, there is no reason not to have it whenever I want. If it adds up to too many calories to fit comfortably, I just have them less often and plan for them when I really want them.

Is the bag of Cheetos yours? If so, get rid of it. No need to keep foods that tease you around. Keep a lower calorie snack you like around. Sometimes you don't know you want something until you see it, so by keeping the Cheetos around you're just tempting yourself for no reason. You can always buy your planned portion when you want them.

If it isn't yours, well, that's a bit harder, but start by telling yourself that it isn't yours. If you really want it, go and buy a single serving bag and tell yourself "this is mine, the other one isn't". This may help you gradually cultivate a mentality of mostly eating when YOU are in control. There will be bad days, but they will gradually become less frequent. I also deploy this strategy when there is a common bowl of something. I tell myself "this portion is mine, the rest is for others. I don't want to take other people's food. Would I simply go into someone's house and raid their fridge?" Silly, but it works for me.

I find motivation to be a fickle thing to rely on. I would start with gradually changing the way you think about food and your day to day habits, starting with the easiest to tweak. Lots of trial and error and lots of slipping involved, but in the end, you'll find you're better off and more consistent than simply white knuckling it.
  • adubay26
    adubay26 Posts: 9 Member
    You are all very insightful! Just an update I am now on day three! I had a total of three Chito’s yesterday and then in the back of my mind I said maybe I should stop now before it’s a full bag.

All the advice is much appreciated and I need the support! Now on day three I’ve been doing very well the last two days and I want to keep it going. I’m not looking ahead. Here’s to day three and I’m on my way to work out!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I know myself way too well, so I only bring what I plan on eating that day to work with me. Instead of a whole bag of cheetos, doritos, pretels, etc... I get a baggie and portion out what to bring with me. Can't eat something you don't have with you LOL :)

Try making little changes and gradually add more.
    You do not have to exercise to lose weight, if you're having trouble with it.
    All you need is a calorie deficit.
    Exercise is great though, but introduce it gradually.
    Don't try and change everything about your life all at once and expect to continue at that pace.
    Do not eliminate "bad" foods from your diet.... there's no such thing.
    Eat what you want, but eat smaller portions :)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    For me, the snacks wouldn't make it into the baggie! I have to buy it pre-portioned and sealed. It's more expensive but I just cannot buy a big bag of snacks without eating the whole thing.
  • bake_n_run
    bake_n_run Posts: 20 Member
    YOU CAN DO IT!! I am starting again today too! My day 1 :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I have found that 1 cheeto can be satisfying, but I have only tried it with my husband handing me the cheeto from his snack mix, not putting my hand into a bag full of cheetos myself.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I have foods that I’m just not strong enough to avoid. I love pizza, too much. I’ve not even found a good substitute for it, so when I’m really trying to lose, I don’t buy it. I have to find other things that really satisfy me so I don’t feel deprived. But I have learned, whatever good reason I think I have, if I buy something I can’t be reasonable about, eventually I will be eating too much of it. I do buy lots of things that I like so there are good choices in the house. If I plan a really special treat...I usually go out for it, not keep it in the house.
  • adubay26
    adubay26 Posts: 9 Member
    I got through day three!!! Day four here we go!