MRSA Infection Update

***WARNING***
This photo contains a graphic image that may not be suitable for all audiences.
Viewer Discretion Advised.

Well Pals, here's an update on the continuing battle against the MRSA Infection. So, another hurtle has been presented. The latest on the foot injury is that it is now a full blown MRSA Infection that has found is way into my blood stream and is now showing up, in the form of large ulcers on my leg. Plus, as is the case with most MRSA infections, it is not responding to antibiotic therapy. The doctors blame what they are calling "the perfect storm." There are combined factors of a very virulent infection on a person who is a lifetime Juvy Diabetic, has Advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis, Restrictive Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Stage C Systolic Heart Failure. SOOO, I check in, Friday, for Hyperbaric Therapy and IV Antibiotics.

All that being said, the worst news of all is that I've been told I have to stay off that leg for a minimum of six weeks, AND THE ABSOLUTE WORST...I'm benched, for this year's Surfing Season!

In the words of Bill S. Preston, Esq., this is "Non Non, Non Non Henious!" Still, no worries, my friends. You all know old Coach Mike. I NEVER NEVER EVER say I "Cannot!" The word is not in my dictionary!!!

I'll jump this hurtle, just as I've jumped the rest!

Stay 'Healthy' My Friends!
2o1xeb74sbzl.jpeg

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Holy kittens! Take the advice from your doctor and run with it. Get better soon!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Yikes!!! Hope that this *kitten* settles down and vamooses with the new treatment plan! Swift healing wishes to you!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Wishing you the best! If it helps, I knew someone who had Mrsa and heart trouble, no diabetes. They couldn't help until they put him in the hospital for serious antibiotic. Cured. Hope it happens as quickly and easily for you.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Have they done an UNNA boot?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Hang tough. MRSA is some nasty *kitten*. Listen to the docs and take it easy.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    ^^^this. We're pulling for you, PXMike :)
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Poor thing :( i'm a nurse and see ALOT of patients with MRSA. you'll pull through, take care and listen to your drs and hand hygeine is very important! Goodluck, keep us updated
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Oh man, that looks gnarly. How'd you get it to begin with? MRSA can be a real beyotch.
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    You're in my prayers... be well
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Wow thats awful. Sending positive vibes your way! Best of luck with your recovery.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Good that you are in good health and caught this quickly. I recently had an issue with my father where he had a similar issue and thanks to his excellent physical condition he was able to avoid amputation following a bacterial infection. The surgeon had to double check thinking he had the wrong patient - despite looking at a chart and seeing an age of 78, he could not believe he was looking at the vasculature of a man in his 70s.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Best wishes as you fight this, hon!

I also wanted to say, well, rather ask, if your doctors have heard about an ancient cure for eye infections that was studied recently and seems to work well against MRSA (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815 ). It was talked about in the UK, but I haven't seen much about it in the USA.

I mention it because I know that one of the more successful treatments for C. dif, also often difficult to treat due to antibiotic resistance, is the fecal transplant, which was also based on an ancient remedy as well.

I don't know that it would be of any help, but with this sort of thing, might as well talk with doctors about everything that could possibly help, yeah?

I hope you feel better soon and this is soon resolved for you!

• Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!