I am officially going to lose weight

Hi! Today I'm going to try to officially start my plan to lose weight for the tenth time. This time, I'm going to try to hold myself accountable for weight loss by announcing it here to let myself know that today is the day I want to start losing weight. I would really appreciate some motivation. Thank you!

Replies

• mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Good Luck! You can do this!
  • anitree123
    anitree123 Posts: 28 Member
    mabearof6 wrote: »
    Good Luck! You can do this!

Thank you! I really appreciate it.
  • Rach7671
    Rach7671 Posts: 45 Member
    You can do this! :) One day at a time and you're already on day one!
  • anitree123
    marquel622 wrote: »
    Today is a great day to start making you a priority. You got this! Remember to drink your water and one slip up isn't the end of everything. I went to a talk that a girl who lost 120 lbs in 18 months gave and the best take away from it was that each meal is an opportunity to start over. If you screw up at lunch, don't sabotage yourself by throwing away the rest of the day. Start over at dinner or the next snack, or hit the gym extra hard. Too often when we slip up we say, well, I will start over tomorrow, or Monday, but really we should tell ourselves, it's ok to mess up once in a while but I am going to get back at it now. This might have been the biggest game changer for me because I know I am totally guilty of the I've messed up, today is totally blown mentality. But really what is better, messing up one meal or a whole day? Don't stop fighting for you. You deserve it.

Thank you for your support! I totally agree with your statement about messing up. I think the problem is that I think one slip up means that I have to start all over again. I guess I should just keep looking for opportunities to keep going.
  • anitree123
    edited April 2018
    Rach7671 wrote: »
    You can do this! :) One day at a time and you're already on day one!

Thanks! I hope to make it to day two :smiley:
  • Rach7671
    Rach7671 Posts: 45 Member
    You will :)
  • ksumindysue
    ksumindysue Posts: 17 Member
    You can do it! I tried many times before I finally committed and did it! I found a group of people who were also committed and that helped me immensely. You got this!
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Today is a great day to start making you a priority. You got this! Remember to drink your water and one slip up isn't the end of everything. I went to a talk that a girl who lost 120 lbs in 18 months gave and the best take away from it was that each meal is an opportunity to start over. If you screw up at lunch, don't sabotage yourself by throwing away the rest of the day. Start over at dinner or the next snack, or hit the gym extra hard. Too often when we slip up we say, well, I will start over tomorrow, or Monday, but really we should tell ourselves, it's ok to mess up once in a while but I am going to get back at it now. This might have been the biggest game changer for me because I know I am totally guilty of the I've messed up, today is totally blown mentality. But really what is better, messing up one meal or a whole day? Don't stop fighting for you. You deserve it.

^This.

I had a friend who, whenever I said I had blown my day at lunch so what was the point as I shoveled some calorie-laden food down my throat. He'd stop me and say, "Hey, if you wreck your car against a brick wall, are you going to back up and hit it again with your foot on the gas? No. You're going to back up, assess the damage, and move on."

It's advice I should have listened to more often as here I am, on MFP for the bazillionth time, trying to get down from my highest weight ever. But I'm more determined than ever to do it, especially now that I have a much more solid grasp of how MFP works. CICO FTW.

• anitree123
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Reflect back to the nine other attempts and make a list of what contributed to quitting and remember being "weak" is not one of them. Some of the reasons I have quit include:

1) Too aggressive. Eating too little and being hungry too much.
    2) Believing I had to eat "healthy" foods or I could not lose weight. I am a human not a rabbit!!
    3) Food boredom. Too much repetition like trying Slimfast or something.
    4) Scale frustration. Daily weigh-ins and not enough progress. I know now that you can fluctuate greatly because of water retention but I still find it easier to weigh much less often.
    5) Calorie boogeyman. If I "cheated" I thought I had done so much damage. I didn't realize that most likely the worst thing that can happen in a single day is that I simply don't lose weight that day.

Just like the popular saying I didn't always learn from the past which doomed me to repeat it. Learning from my past has greatly helped me this time around. Your list might be completely different. I just shared mine as a 'for instance.'

You can do it!

I think I've experienced all of these reasons. Honestly, cheating really does seem like I lost some kind of game or something.
    Thank you for the list! I will try to find a way around these problems and establish a new mindset.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    anitree123 wrote: »
    I think I've experienced all of these reasons. Honestly, cheating really does seem like I lost some kind of game or something.
    Thank you for the list! I will try to find a way around these problems and establish a new mindset.

And now I have learned something from you. I had not thought of it in just that way. The game mentality is a very real thing. It can be helpful when being pushed and pushing others but like everything else it has to be used in moderation. I will remember it. Thanks.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Good luck friend!
  • anitree123
    edited April 2018
    You can do it! I tried many times before I finally committed and did it! I found a group of people who were also committed and that helped me immensely. You got this!

Thank you! I think I've found a group of people who'll support me :)
  • anitree123

^This.

I had a friend who, whenever I said I had blown my day at lunch so what was the point as I shoveled some calorie-laden food down my throat. He'd stop me and say, "Hey, if you wreck your car against a brick wall, are you going to back up and hit it again with your foot on the gas? No. You're going to back up, assess the damage, and move on."

It's advice I should have listened to more often as here I am, on MFP for the bazillionth time, trying to get down from my highest weight ever. But I'm more determined than ever to do it, especially now that I have a much more solid grasp of how MFP works. CICO FTW.

Thanks! You can do it! We'll support each other. You've got a very smart friend, by the way. And I'd like to try the CICO diet, if that's what you're referring to.
  • anitree123
    Good luck friend!

Thank you! :)
  • TATWTTLTG
    TATWTTLTG Posts: 7 Member
    Hi! I am Natalie and I Would love to be friends and support each other. I have tried many times to lose weight over the years but now realize I really need to do this! I just recently hit over 230 pounds after a trip and lots of pictures and not feeling good about them at all. I decided I needed to take action and really focus on the goal at end. But it’s so hard alone, I have always gave up before, so hoping the support and meeting other women who are going through the same struggles as me will help.
  • anitree123
    Hi! I am Natalie and I Would love to be friends and support each other. I have tried many times to lose weight over the years but now realize I really need to do this! I just recently hit over 230 pounds after a trip and lots of pictures and not feeling good about them at all. I decided I needed to take action and really focus on the goal at end. But it’s so hard alone, I have always gave up before, so hoping the support and meeting other women who are going through the same struggles as me will help.

Of course! I'll send a friend request. I know you can reach your goal!
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    It's never too late to start over! I need to tell myself this constantly. Feel free to friend me! I need motivation buddies!
  • anitree123
    It's never too late to start over! I need to tell myself this constantly. Feel free to friend me! I need motivation buddies!

Sure! Thank you!