Carb/sugar addiction

Any suggestions on how to help break my sugar/carb addiction? It’s really bad.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How does it manifest itself and what specific behaviors do you want to adopt?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    More information about your daily eating habits would be helpful.

When do you turn to carbs/sugar? Are there certain circumstances?
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    Goodluck! It's super hard and I feel your struggle. I try to fill up on foods that leave you feeling fuller for longer. More importantly, I just make sure I have them readily available so that when I do have a bad carb/sugar craving I can eat something and try to avoid the craving. Black Coffee also helps with cravings for myself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    minusmoe wrote: »
    Any suggestions on how to help break my sugar/carb addiction? It’s really bad.

When you say it's really bad, what does this mean to you? I concur with @quiksylver296 that providing more information about your daily eating habits would be helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    What specifically do you mean -- what do you eat, when, what are the things you find difficult when trying not to overeat?

Carbs is a REALLY broad category -- if really craving "carbs" or even "sugar" you could try something lower cal like some berries or carrots, but my guess is you are craving or overeating specific foods.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Well, I stopped buying things that triggered more eating. So I stopped bringing cookies and potato chips into my house. I drank water or hot tea to distract myself. But I'm not into total deprivation, so I found little pre-packaged sweets and had one once a day. Sometimes it was a Ritter Sport chocolate, which I savored slowly. Or I made sugar-free pudding with low-fat milk to have as a snack or desert.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2018
    Don't buy something that would trigger your food binging. As a teenager, I always ate chips and coca-cola, so I told my mom to stop buying them, it was the only way for me not to eat them. Nowadays, older and much more disciplined, I am able to incorporate them in my diet, but that's because I can control my hunger which was not the case when I was a teen. It's either you become disciplined or simply not buy them at all.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Think about what you are feeling when you are eating these foods and which foods you are craving. I like what @fb47 said about thinking about trigger foods. For me, I found that whenever I traveled, I would buy myself an oatmeal raisin cookie to eat on the plane...over a few months, traveling a few times a month, those 400+ calorie cookies added up. I thought about why I was choosing them and remembered my mother always made those when I was a kid, so it was clearly a comfort food. I decided to ban them--I simply won't eat them. There are other ways for me to feel comforted than cookies in this world, and I could never stop at just one bite!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Duhigg’s book on Habits was a real eye opener. According to his model everyone’s triggers to overeat is different. What are your triggers?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Duhigg’s book on Habits was a real eye opener. According to his model everyone’s triggers to overeat is different. What are your triggers?

Yeah, that's a good book -- OP, you might want to check it out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I've found it more helpful to focus on triggers in specific isolation rather than in sweeping categories. This or that specific food is a problem for me rather than a whole categories of foods. It made me feel more in control of my environment.

I've also focused on learning what situations lead me to be susceptible to overeating non-trigger foods and have developed mechanisms to avoid those situations, but that took me a long time to sort out.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Get low sugar protein junk food. Most common examples are Quest protein bars, Halo Top ice cream, and their copy cats.

I used to consider myself a sugar addict. Turns out I just needed to swap 90% of my real junk food for the low sugar high protein versions. And I still feel hungry no matter what if I get under 30g protein by 5pm working day shift.

And if you want the real sugar stuff, try an asian grocer, preferably japanese. They have junk food in tiny, preproportioned packs that you can eat in a sitting and not do much calorie damage. They have stuff like marshmallow puffs with chocolate creme for 18-20 cal a piece (210-300/pack) and mini swirl ice creams for 85 cal a piece (510cal/pack). And the ice creams are even on a cone!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited April 2018
    I have a very sweet tooth and I love carbs. I don't cut them out completely, but I manage to keep my calories down by eating ridiculous amounts of fruit. This is what's working for me and I'm down quite a lot.

I've also found a much better if I eat high protein.

We are all different, the best thing is to try different approaches to see what works for you.

I have a diary that is open to friends, if you'd like to see it just add me as a friend.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited April 2018
    I swapped sugar for spoonable stevia extract, which the version I buy is zero calorie.

I make my own homemade sprite, lemonade and limeade.

I eat cereal (using vanilla unsweetened almond milk) and the stevia extract really helps, in simulating and replacing sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I found increasing protein, fruit, and exercise, while decreasing foods like baked goods and ice cream to be helpful.

I feel better when I'm closer to 30% protein than the 20% that is MFP's default. How much protein are you currently eating?

If you want something more extreme, try Bright Line Eating, which was available at my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

• ckam78
    ckam78 Posts: 39 Member
    I love the Whole 30 for breaking eating habits, esp. sugar. I too feel that addiction... When it gets to that point I go cold turkey and follow the program for just 30 days. I feel my body begin appreciating berries and veg & fruits & craving those over my reg tastes. It lasts for long time after too, I learn to eat healthier...until I start getter no lazy & giving in... and when it breaks I do another cycle. Look into the program and see if something that interests you. For me it’s great. I feel amazing. (And I will note, I still stay within calories on program - not part of official W30 program, but see no reason can’t lose while I break habits.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Well, I stopped buying things that triggered more eating. So I stopped bringing cookies and potato chips into my house. I drank water or hot tea to distract myself. But I'm not into total deprivation, so I found little pre-packaged sweets and had one once a day. Sometimes it was a Ritter Sport chocolate, which I savored slowly. Or I made sugar-free pudding with low-fat milk to have as a snack or desert.

Potato chips and many, if not most, cookies are fats more than carbs.