Does anybody do fullbody days back-to-back?

Options
If I'm doing bench/rows/squats one day and pullups/overhead press/deadlifts the other day, the exercises seem different enough (with the exception of maybe squats/deadlifts) that you could do them back-to-back without effecting each other too much. Particularly, I feel like unless you used isolation exercises as well your secondary muscles are fine the next day (bi's/tri's).

Also, another thought that occurred to me is how can manual laborers and others perform the same movements everyday without taking "rest days" and seem perfectly fine and even grow from it but in body building/fitness you're supposed to rest a body part every other day?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    They can be programmed like that, though I'd leave the programming for that to a professional. There's a similar template in Beyond 531 that I've actually been looking at recently. I've yet to try it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Depends on the CNS impact and how well you recover. Personally, I would not recover well enough but I am 66 years old. You may be younger and do OK. It's questionable though. Why would you want to do this?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the program. Strong Curves for example, you will do glute, quad and hamstring dominant, a horizontal pull (like a row), a press (ex bench), then the next day you will do glute, quad, hamstring again then a vertical pull (ex. pull up) and vertical press (ex military press). So you typically do two days in a row, rest, then two days again.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I do a full body workout everyday 7 days a week but the duration and intensity of my workouts is not so great as to affect my ability to recover from day to day.

Generally, I do 1 hr of upper body weight exercises - - pullups, pushups and dips (PPDs) - 3 days a week, every other day, and, in between these days, I lift 2 days a week for 1 hr a, day - - DL, BP & Rows one day and SQT, OHP & Rows the other.

On top of that, I am erg rowing (which is a full body cardio exercise) 1 hr a day everyday, 7 days a week, w/at least 2 hrs rest before or after lifting or doing PPDs.

My current goal in doing this is the maintenance of prior health and fitness gains and to increase food/nutritional intake while maintaining my weight at the current level. This exercise/lifting program works for me for these purposes.

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    dill_milk wrote: »
    If I'm doing bench/rows/squats one day and pullups/overhead press/deadlifts the other day, the exercises seem different enough (with the exception of maybe squats/deadlifts) that you could do them back-to-back without effecting each other too much.

I do
    • Calf raise
    • OHP
    • Lunges
    • Lat raises
    • Skull crushers

Next day I do
    • Pull Ups
    • Straight legged deadlifts
    • dumbbell rows
    • EZ curls

So it's a push /pull on consecutive days.

• dill_milk
    dill_milk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    If I'm doing bench/rows/squats one day and pullups/overhead press/deadlifts the other day, the exercises seem different enough (with the exception of maybe squats/deadlifts) that you could do them back-to-back without effecting each other too much.

I do
    • Calf raise
    • OHP
    • Lunges
    • Lat raises
    • Skull crushers

Next day I do
    • Pull Ups
    • Straight legged deadlifts
    • dumbbell rows
    • EZ curls

So it's a push /pull on consecutive days.

Great physique man! You don't do any chest exercises though? And lunges instead of squats?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing bench/rows/squats one day and pullups/overhead press/deadlifts the other day, the exercises seem different enough (with the exception of maybe squats/deadlifts) that you could do them back-to-back without effecting each other too much. Particularly, I feel like unless you used isolation exercises as well your secondary muscles are fine the next day (bi's/tri's).

Also, another thought that occurred to me is how can manual laborers and others perform the same movements everyday without taking "rest days" and seem perfectly fine and even grow from it but in body building/fitness you're supposed to rest a body part every other day?

Construction workers don't and aren't trying to get big...yes, they will develop muscle, but it's pretty limited, and they're not trying to linearly gain strength...that's what the rest and recovery is for.

I also worked landscape construction for sometime in college...I did not get big and muscley doing that and the effect on my CNS was nowhere near what it was running a heavy lifting program.

I only lift twice per week at the moment and I will sometimes do back to back days...but my volume is low and my weights are moderate, so recovery isn't particularly an issue. Completely different if I was actually trying to put on mass like a body builder or lift like a power lifter.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Full body 4 day per week splits are a thing, and often have you lifting Mon Tues Thurs Fri.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great physique man! You don't do any chest exercises though? And lunges instead of squats?

Thanks.

I do incline bench on my other push day. I train at home with no squat rack, hence the lunges.

• ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

That's an interesting way to define a "full body" workout. Not wrong, just different from my experience. In my view full body is full body. You hit every muscle group in a single workout. I see what you are doing and why you would ask this question can you do it back to back.

Regardless even if you did do every single muscle group in each work out the answer, in my opinion, is the same. Yes you can. As long as you still have adequate rest days built in to your routine. So in the old school traditional full body work out, let's say you do a Mon/Wed/Fri routine with Tues/thurs/Sat/sun off. Rest every other day and the weekend. I wouldn't see any problem if you went Mon/Tue/Thurs. Or Mon/ Fri/Sat. Your still getting rest with 3 days workout/4 days rest. You may not be as productive on the consecutive days but you'll catch up on rest. With the example you provided, you "might" be more productive than the example I provided as you are switching up the focus (not doing full chest consecutively).

I split body parts but still tend to look at the work out in terms of number of days lifting/number of days resting. So in some cases, I may hit some body parts in consecutive days. But my emphasis is to lift 4 days per week (mon-sun) and three days rest. Sometimes I'll go every other day, sometimes I may do two or three days in a row, then rest. Other times based on my upcoming schedule, I'll do the whole 4 days in a row, then take 2-3 days off. I still am getting stronger, and still am seeing gains.

So short answer is yes, as long as you get adequate rest and feel you are still being productive in the long run.