Trying keto - help

Options
I am looking into Keto. I have been tracking macros while deliberately eliminating carbs besides veggies , yet still getting at least 15% carbs in my macros. How would anyone get 5% carbs in their macros?? I’m seriously stumped with how to make this work.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Basically, they eat small portions of leafy vegetables.

This and dairy is why I don't worry about keto, even though I regularly eat around the high end of most keto recommendations.
  • LCplTrey
    LCplTrey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My carbs for the day stay between 3-8% daily. I still eat vegetables every dinner. You just need more protein and fat to outweigh the carbs you are ingesting to lower that carb percentage. My daily Macros is 5% carbs, 70% fat, and 25% protein and I am pretty good about staying right around that range.
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    15% is perfectly fine. People repeatedly state that you should only eat 20 carbs and it's simply not true.
  • klenz525
    klenz525 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is the 15% total carbs or net carbs? I am usually around 8-10% net carbs and that seems to work well for me!
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do 15% total carbs...which for me ends up around 50grams
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 20 lbs on keto. I eat mostly vegetables, fish and small portions of meat. My carbs are 10ish percent or 30-50 grams per day. When starting - I had to do 25-35 grams of carbs. Since I’m keto adapted - I can go up to 50 per day while staying in ketosis- I use keto stix. I go by grams instead of macros/percentage - it helped me. I also focus on low starch vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. For me - keto has helped me focus on greens - and limit meat. Not the other way around. Good luck!