How do you reason with unreasonable people?

Options
Agathokakological
Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
I have a friend who is the queen of diet/cleanse fads. She keeps asking me what I'm doing to lose weight and I tell her I'm eating less calories. She's seen me eat pasta, pizza, ice cream, etc... along with mostly chicken, beef, vegetables, and fruit. But she doesn't think I'm being honest with her.

She thinks I've found some pill or something because I'm losing and she isn't. She doesn't weigh out her food and thinks measuring cups are "easier." I bought her a food scale today and brought it to her house and told her it was my "secret" to having success. She looked at it and looked at me and asked, "but really, how are you doing it?"

I really wanted to just take the scale back and go. I mean how hard is it to understand? She's a really good friend, but she's frustrating the *kitten* out of me. I'm actively avoiding most of her calls and it hasn't been easy since I'm dating her brother. He's getting caught in the middle.

How do you get someone to understand something so simple as CICO?

End of mini rant...

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Just tell her you have a high metabolism. People love that.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    In most cases people don't want to admit their failings, so they look for all kinds of smoking guns to blame and pills to fix it. All you can do is continue to preach the right things and hope that some day they catch on with the reality of things.

Like raising kids really. You never expect to tell them once that something is right or wrong and they get it. You expect they will hear it and maybe even go against it, but that by saying it over and over that some day it will ring true for them when it matters the most.
  • misaloundra
    misaloundra Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't want to admit that the solution is quite ''simple'' to lose weight, because they can't keep going. So they tell themselves that there must be some kind of magical solution. Nope, you are just lazy, Karen. You are the problem.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    When one argues with a fool there are suddenly two.

Oh yeah Smartguy ??

Wait.

Dammit!