Running alone!

Options
2»

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I run alone as well, although it would be a blast to drag a partner over some of my running trails with me (you hear me... that's an invite people).

Don't underestimate the value of a running partner though: safety in numbers, challenge each other, camaraderie, and so on.

My schedule makes it impossible to run with someone, but every once in a while would be a great treat! Now get yer damn trail shoes on and come on down to AZ!
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My kids asked me the other day if they could ride their bikes alongside me while I ran. I said no! I just didn't want to have to worry about anything else but just enjoy my run. But when they asked the next day I caved and said fine, but they couldn't talk to me! LOL They didn't and it was actually kind of nice, and pushed me to go just a little bit harder. Stick with whatever works for you and don't feel guilty about it. We all need a little me-time.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else like running alone? Im afraid im quite selfish and like to put my music on and run by myself. Discovered this a little while ago! As found myself dodging requests for people who wanted to run with me! lol

One of my friends wants to come run with me but she says she gets bored and likes to chat! Not really my thing lol! We are both running together in a 5k and said we'd train together. Hmm not sure what to do! Maybe i'll train a couple of times with her and during the race do my own thing!

It's ok to elbow people in the ribs while running.

Don't forget the occasional flat tire!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I don't like people. They smell.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! im glad there are other loners out there!

although you have given me some food for thought! I didnt think of the safety in numbers or motivating aspects of it! I think in the winter time i might actually like the safety of a partner who i can run with and do my own thing yet know they are about.
  • M_lifts
    Options
    As someone already said, it's MY time to sort out stuff in my head, so I have no issues running alone. It also can be hard to find someone that you are well paced with, has the same schedule, yadda, yadda, yadda. Most of my friends that run are significantly slower or faster than me. Mostly faster though, so my preferene when I do run w/someone is to run with a fast friend: it makes me work a bit harder.

I love entering races w/friends though. We usually all start out together, unless we are in different corrals. then go our merry way for the race since we all usually have different agendas, race strategies, etc. Makes for a very fun after party though!

im quite looking forward to the race and the social aspect of it as you mentioned! after the run we may go for some drinks etc!
  • M_lifts
    Options
    I run alone as well, although it would be a blast to drag a partner over some of my running trails with me (you hear me... that's an invite people).

Don't underestimate the value of a running partner though: safety in numbers, challenge each other, camaraderie, and so on.

My schedule makes it impossible to run with someone, but every once in a while would be a great treat! Now get yer damn trail shoes on and come on down to AZ!

lol! Now that would mean i have to polish my private jet and then put my trainers on and then come running! very exhausting! lol
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer to run alone. Sometimes my husband and I will go to the track or to a looping trail to run 'together', but at our own paces. I enjoy that the most, because it's the camaraderie without the neediness of a running partner. :P

The problem with running alone is that I don't feel safe running in my area...several cases of female runners getting assaulted or killed in my city. :frown: So, if I run alone, I stick to main roads, leave my route with my husband and have my phone and ID on me. I hate that fear. It's a shame, as there are many nice trails around here that would be easier on my joints. I need a doggie! :smile:
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Running is MY TIME. I have lots of friends who run, who often ask to run together, but I always politely decline. Just me and my music. I just get SO much thinking done on my runs, I would hate to share that "time" with someone else's thoughts!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Running is like meditation for me. I don't want to be bothered with chitchat and I don't want to worry about pacing myself with anyone else. It's my "me time." I don't even listen to music when I run outside. It's just me and mother nature, one-on-one, catching up with each other. She's my only running partner, I guess.