Helpful hints for running!

Options
Okay so here it is. ... . I am not new to running or fitness. .. I used to kickbox and box as well as do martial arts. . . My question is this. . . . . .

When I was running before and training. . I was not this heavy. . . . I want to ease back into it. . and don't want to be putting undue pressure on my joints till I drop some poundage. .. ..

I know stretching is major to avoid shin splints. . . . What else would all you runners recommend. . . All advice is greatly appreciated.:bigsmile:

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    get fitted for new shoes.

really, do this before you do anything else to avoid injury. then hit the pavement!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    First and foremost shoes. Go get fitted at a decent running store. The kind where they observe your gait and help you pick the best shoes for you and your feet.

Second, start out slow. Go nice and easy, and only increase speed and duration as you feel more comfortable.

Third, focus on landing on your forefoot or midfoot rather than the heal. This is the natural way your body likes to spread the impact, and it will prevent sending shockwaves up to your knees.

And of course, check out C25K (Couch to 5K)
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Shoes...really good shoes. Get fitted. I hate shin splints. I couldn't run for a week last time I got them. And watch your stride. You don't want to be "stomping" on the ground when you run. Also try running at a school try that uses hard rubber versus asphalt.
  • dddttt
    dddttt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try C25K! :)
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Yes to C25K! The biggest problem new runners have is doing too much too fast. This program will help prevent that, but really get you moving at the same time! Good luck!
  • cindysalazar
    Options
    I was gonna say what Homer3D said, Shoes,shoes,shoes! We have a New Balance store where I live and they fit you there. Before I went there I was wearing Nike "Running Shoes" I was getting blisters and my shins were killing me! Your feet really spread out when you run so make sure the width is good. I went up a whole size and 2 width sizes. This has made all the difference in the world :)
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I am with everyone else on the shoes. I thought I could go out and just buy any old fitness shoe that was on sale. After about 2 weeks running in them, my ankles were in serious pain.
    I eventually sucked it up and went and got professionally fitted at a running store (I went to Fleet Feet). I am now the proud owner of a pair of $100 Brooks.... I about DIED when I bought them. I had never spent so much on shoes in my whole life. But it was SO worth it. My ankle pain is gone, and I have the perfect shoe that will last me a long time.

As for easing into it... I am currently using the C25K program. I am on week four and running 5 minutes at a time. This is the person who could barely make 30 seconds without feeling like she was going to die. The good thing about the program is you can go on your own pace. stay on week 1 for 2 weeks if you need to. theres no rush. Its a great program and a lot of people have had it do great things for their lives.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Definitely on the shoes, I just picked up a nice new pair of Asics Gels at a running shop that evaluated me...they are amazingly comfortable and running is really enjoyable while wearing them!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 4's and they are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • losgan
    losgan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for beginning to run with bad ankles? I really want to run but I'm terrified of reinjuring myself (I fell down the stairs and couldn't walk for 3 months several years ago).

So far I have made a point of only running on a treadmill so I could use the railing for extra support if needed.

Thanks! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

9658254.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kymmochi
    Options
    Get some foot soles!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just started running, quitting smoking made me want to run. I didn't realize that getting fitted for shoes was so important! I guess I will do that this weekend!

Anyone have any good ideas about how to prevent side cramps/pain? I try to stay really hydrated, and stretch, but any other ideas will be welcome!