Kidney problems so need to stop exercising?!

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your needs for explanations were not met by your doctor.

This is by no means a one way issue where your doctor is always at fault. Some of us are more demanding than others when it comes to explanations and we are definitely not all equally willing to be convinced to do things the way our health providers want us to!

But, the end result remains that you did not receive the level of care that you desired from your doctor.

We log our food on MFP, and presumably review our choices with a view of optimising our decision making.

Your interactions with your health providers should also be reviewed from time to time so that you can decide whether you have access to options that might better meet your needs.

Don't be like my dad who for the past 10 years has done nothing but grumble about the care he receives from his doctor... while refusing to try out two other doctors who opened practices and were accepting new patients.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    @stac3wa The links below may give you some ideas about what the doctor is saying. You can also ask the phlebotomist drawing your blood about the relationship between read meet, exercising and the particular test that the doctor ordered. Phlebotomist are usually lab techs too.

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/eating-cooked-meat-can-affect-kidney-test-results/
    https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/eating-cooked-meat-can-affect-kidney-test-results/
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-kidney-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354527
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I found this in an abstract from a medical journal:

Exercise induces profound changes in the renal haemodynamics and in electrolyte and protein excretion. Effective renal plasma flow is reduced during exercise. The reduction is related to the intensity of exercise and renal blood flow may fall to 25% of the resting value when strenuous work is performed.

My guess is that they don't want you to put strain on a kidney that is already under strain and/or they want a good read for the blood work.

I have chronic kidney issues. I was not allowed to exercise for a month before I had my nuclear renogram. Once they found I had hydronephrosis due to a 22mm kidney stone in my ureter, I was able to go back to moderate exercise.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My sister had kidney issues and her dr didn't want her to exercise for a while either. Once her medicine was regulated and she was healthy again she was able to exercise again. I believe it was only for a week or two. She was allowed to walk though. I'd ask if walking is okay.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside - you may want to request a celiac blood panel. A lot of research on celiac disease, including many of the symptoms, is pretty new, so many doctors may not be aware of it.

For example, 1/3 of celiacs report no gut symptoms of any kind, so having no gut symptoms is not uncommon. Low vitamin D can be a symptom of celiac disease. Kidney problems are more common with celiacs than the general population, because certain of the nutritional deficiencies can impact kidney and gall bladder more. PCOS and celiac disease may be commonly found together (it is anecdotally reported in some areas, so there is speculation, but studies on it have yet to be done. )

Not saying you have this, but with the issues you are having, it couldn't hurt to get one extra test, you know?
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    stac3wa wrote: »
    As I’ve always been told exercise is what’s best. So I’m of course going to be taken back at the thought of exercise could be damaging my health.

Eating a balanced diet is usually good for you too, but you will be asked to fast for lab tests where they want to measure blood glucose levels, yet you wouldn't question why you need to fast. It isn't because it is unhealthy, it is so they can get accurate test results.
  • stac3wa
    stac3wa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok.
    No I wouldn’t ask why they wanted me to fast before a blood test. Know why that is? Because someone explained it to me when I needed one years ago. Because when I asked why, he told me why.
    Now trust me, I wish my Dr told me why, all these dig replies I’ve gotten on here, damn for asking questions eh...
    I probably worded it wrong, I did say “Oh you learn something new everyday” cause guess what... I didn’t know Yep. That’s right.
    I did say i googled it too. Nothing. Damn google. Because that left me one other choice. Here....
    So. I did not know that strenuous exercise could possibly have an affect on my kidneys. I did not know why in particular that and red meat would affect kidneys. I did not know why I did not know. Maybe I’m not as clever as certain people. Maybe I mentioned that this whole looking after my body, the whys and what’s and hows is all new to me. So I’m very slowly starting to learn. I read these forums - if you over look any snarky remarks, there are people here who genuinely want to help us. Us = people who don’t know as much as you do.
    There were a few replies that actually helped me. So thank you to you - I have liked your reply. So now. Guess what?! I understand. So now I don’t need to question or reply to your snarky comments.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Wow.