cardio vs strength

Options
so everyone says you need to add some weight lifting in your workout.... Does this count for the people doing Turbo fire, insanity, p90x???? Should I be going to the gym to lift weight while also doing the turbo fire sched at home?

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I do weight training and cardio...irregardless of what it is..I have a set routine for my weight training in the gym I go to that was put together by my trainer.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Does turbo fire incorporate weight training? If it does, you shouldn't need to do additional work at the gym. Alot of programs like P90x incorporate both cardio and strength training into their programs.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of Turbofire, running, zumba and weight lifting. In my opinion yes weight lifting should be included with every cardio routine, cardio is great for your heart and endurance, weight lifting is great for your muscles, bones and added fat burning if that's one of your goals :)
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Options
    Those programs are designed to be your primary source of exercise if you are following the program 100%. I did however supplement my P90X with running, because I had enough energy to do so. But if you don't have enough time, energy, desire, the program will still be effective by itself.

Hope that helps.

Ashlee
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Does turbo fire incorporate weight training? If it does, you shouldn't need to do additional work at the gym. Alot of programs like P90x incorporate both cardio and strength training into their programs.

Turbo Fire has one 25 min or so section of strength using resistance band. I think it's in the rotation once a week, it's been a long since I've looked at the schedule I just do my own thing and use the cardio dvd's when I'm not running or doing something else. When I did follow the TF schedule I added weight lifting on top of it.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I'm only familiar with p90x, but most of those types of programs have strength training (to a degree) built into them. I personally think body weight exercises (like pushups) are a great way to do strength training.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire does have some strength workouts. The Tone and the Sculpt. I think they are enough for beginners. But they kind of break some of the "rules" of weight lifting because there are no rests between sets making them almost cardio instead of weights. I'm finishing out the 12 weeks currently just doing those. Next I think I'm going to keep using Turbo Fire as my cardio (no schedule) and add in 3 days of real weights at the gym (and never do the Tone or Sculpt videos).
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Please remember that you dont have to have weights to do strength training. there are tons of body weight moves that great for building muscle, such as push ups, pull ups, or squats. P90X is nice becuase it has a little bit of everything, as long as you have enought weights, you can build a lto of muscle.

either way, you will burn calories, but you might want to add some strenght training if you are looking to gain a little muscle.
  • Disinte_GratioN
    Options
    Muscle burns more calories! Strength trianing in general speeds up your metabolic rate....i like too eat!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    P90X and Chalene Extreme does count as weight lifting/resistance training especially if you use Dumbbells but Insanity does not. I am not too sure about Turbo Fire since I have never used the program.