Is milk good or bad?

Options
Is milk good or bad for you? I was talking with my husband about that very topic, he heard somewhere that the benifits of Soy Milk, isn't as good as many people say it is??? I'm lactose intolerant, at least i think i am, because regular milk, really milk products does a number on me, so i need to ask, is milk good or bad for you, and what other options do i have? Someone once told me to drink raw milk, i wouldnt react to it???

Replies

• ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I dont drink regular milk because I just never really liked it.. but almond milk is really good :)
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    I'll give it a try thanks
  • TrevaNadreau
    TrevaNadreau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second the almond milk suggestion. Super healthy and super tasty!
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We use almond milk and love it! I only use milk for mashed potatoes or desserts.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    milk is for baby cows:bigsmile:
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Most mammals normally become lactose intolerant when they are young; however, some human populations have developed lactase persistence, where lactase production continues into adulthood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

I wouldn't feel too bad about not drinking it if it makes you sick. Seems to be a natural issue with most mammals according to wikipedia.
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk is AMAZING. It's my dessert most nights and it's super healthy.

Soy milk is alright but you can't drink too much or it can have some weird effects, especially for men.

Also give lactose-free fat free milk a try. If you have a Safeway nearby, they have the Lucerne brand of it. I can't drink it straight (I lost my taste for milk when I started becoming intolerant), but it's good for cereals and recipes and stuff.
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As with any food out there you can find studies that support both sides of the argument, good and bad. In your case if it does a number on you then for you it is bad. When I am not being a good boy I drink 8 gallons of milk a week. So for me it is good at least in moderation. There are are many good nutrients in milk but they can be found in other sources. So if you want the nutrients milk offers without the discomfort do a little research online for which food will offer them to you.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I like milk but I have been drinking coconut milk lately...uber good!!
  • orting514
    Options
    Hummm well ive had this issue since my teens and i'm now 51, milk products mainly milk, ice cream, yogurt, is what gets to me, cheese not so much, i often question is it the lactaid in it, (Because i cant even drink Lactaid Milk), or is it something in the processing of the milk somewhere???
  • orting514
    Options
    As with any food out there you can find studies that support both sides of the argument, good and bad. In your case if it does a number on you then for you it is bad. When I am not being a good boy I drink 8 gallons of milk a week. So for me it is good at least in moderation. There are are many good nutrients in milk but they can be found in other sources. So if you want the nutrients milk offers without the discomfort do a little research online for which food will offer them to you.

The only real time i like useing soy milk,(Which is what i'm useing now), is on my cereal in the morning.
  • orting514
    Options

where do you get coconut milk??
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If milk gives your discomfort, you definitely shouldn't drink it.

I haven't been consuming much milk in the past couple years on account of not eating cereal. I found when I had a glass with a dessert treat a few days ago, that I experienced discomfort. This never happened to me before.

I have heard good things about almond milk and would recommend that over soy as I heard soy effects estrogen levels somehow. :/

However, I will continue to consume other dairy products in my normal amounts as these have never affected me.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I dont drink regular milk because I just never really liked it.. but almond milk is really good :)

ditto almond milk is the bomb!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk and I'm only mildly lactose intolerant! Add some light hershey's syrup and it makes a great dessert!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,660 Member
    Options
    I like milk but can only drink small amounts because of mild lactose intolerance.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options

where do you get coconut milk??

I get my coconut milk at my local grocery store (Schnucks). I've checked Trader Joes and all they have is almond milk, but Schnucks is just an ordinary grocery store and they carry it! Jillian Michael endorses it and my kids love it. I have to hide the fact that I drink it or they bug me to have some, lol!
  • chynn
    chynn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i love this stuff!! i put it in all my protein shakes!!! they have other dairy products as well...

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_hg_original
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    Odd fact: Countries with the highest consumption of diary products also have the highest incidence of osteoporosis. The countries with the lowest consumption of diary products have the lowest incidence of osteoporosis.

http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/Milk_Revealed_As_Main_Cause_Of_Osteoporosis_in_New_Book.cfm

http://www.health-and-natural-healing.com/osteoporosis-diet.html

Cattle that are treated with antibiotics and hormones expel these chemicals in higher proportion in their milk. So when you drink milk you get higher concentrations of chemicals used to treat the cattle.