How to stop being hungry all the time?

Options
I’ve always liked food but I’ve never had such a hard time not eating all the time because I’m always hungry. How do I naturally curb my appetite?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? What are your weight and height? What kind of foods are you eating?

There are many reasons for hunger and without more details we can only give very general answers. Being hungry all the time could be due to eating too little food, food that is not filling, or having a low tolerance for not feeling full. You could eat more, eat more filling foods, or ride it out so that you get used to not always feeling full.
  • Jashwood92
    Jashwood92 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat small meals every couple hours and I try to eat a good amount of protein in my meals.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry all th time, or just not eating all the time? How many calories are you eating per day?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are you always hungry, or always hungry once you start eating for the day?

Once I start eating, then I am always hungry throughout the day. But I am fine from 3:45 (when I get up) until about 9:30 when I eat breakfast. Once I do eat, though, game on!

If this rings true to you, check out Intermittant Fasting (IF).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    First, since your avatar shows you with a baby, are you breastfeeding? Are you eating the extra calories you need to for that?

Otherwise...
    1. If you just started, sometimes it takes a few days for your body to adjust to the new plan.
    2. Choose an appropriate weekly weight loss goal. If you automatically chose 2 lbs per week, that is very aggressive unless you have at least over 75 lbs to lose. Slow weight loss you can stick to is better than fast weight loss you can't.
    3. Look at your protein, fat, and fiber goals. Are you hitting them? If not, adjusting your diet so you do can help.
    4. Are you hitting your calorie goal? Are you logging exercise and eating back some of those calories?
    5. Consider changing your meal schedule. Is there a specific time of day you struggle most? Can you save extra calories from other times so you have more to eat when you're hungry?
    6. Do a gut check and make sure you really are hungry. Drink a glass of water and keep busy for 15 minutes. If the feeling passes, it was probably more habit and boredom, not hunger.
    7. While I've never experienced this, some people say thirst can feel like hunger, so make sure you're properly hydrated.
    8. In a pinch, many find coffee or caffeinated diet soda can serve as a mild appetite suppressant.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    snacking instead of meals but still track everything
    making sure you are hydrated
    fiber keeps you feeling full
    protien and fat can help you feel full.
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was hungry all the time too but its getting better because I added more calories to have a slower loss pattern, I stopped eating after supper (I brush my teeth after my last meal) and I paid attention to what kind of foods actually make me feel full and satisfied and adjusted accordingly. Everyone says to load up on protein, cut carbs, and that fat is your friend but I have found that embracing carbohydrates AND protein while limiting (but not eliminating) fat has made it muuuuuuch easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit. But that’s just what works for me. Get creative, open your mind and don’t take all the advice out there too seriously. Just try to figure out what works for you.
  • may3161
    may3161 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry all the time but I love food so I work out everyday so I can eat more and I also set MFP at .5 pounds a week.