Heart Rate Chest Strap Recommendation?

Options
Can anyone recommend a HRM chest strap?

I have a Wahoo TICKR X and am nothing but disappointed in it. It eats through batteries monthly, the internal memory never worked reliably, and now it only works once or twice before I have to reseat the battery. Support has been helpful in suggesting I wash it. I've given up on it and am ready to move on.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    If you just need a strap and have a wrist unit I would recommend Garmin. It works whenever I have gone to facilities where they encourage you to connect like Orange Theory.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    GARMIN! I don't ever rely on the wrist, I always wear the chest belt! Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My base-model Wahoo Tickr has been great for around a year without a battery replacement. I've been recommending it to people.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a polar H7. The newer version is an H10. Several websites say it's the best and most reliable on the market. It's not too expensive either and I find it super comfortable. I use it with the wristwatch but it also connects to an app by itself so you don't really need the watch if you don't want it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a HRM chest strap?

I have a Wahoo TICKR X and am nothing but disappointed in it. It eats through batteries monthly, the internal memory never worked reliably, and now it only works once or twice before I have to reseat the battery. Support has been helpful in suggesting I wash it. I've given up on it and am ready to move on.

The answer really depends on the head end that you want to use with it. So you need BLE or ANT+? I'm conscious that the Tickr X does both.

Personally, when cycling, I use an Edge head end. If I'm on the turbo I use Zwift on Windows using ANT+. If I'm running I use a Forerunner. My Forerunner also supports swimming. So I use a Garmin classic on the bike, an HRM Tri when running out an HRM Swim in the pool. Those are all ANT+.

I'd recommend an HRM Tri or HRM Run, but if you're using something that doesn't do ANT+ in the head end that would be the wrong answer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've found my Garmin chest strap to be great. Bought it in 2014, it's done hundreds of hours, batteries last ages, reliable, all day comfortable.

In contrast I've had a selection of Polar chest straps and found them unreliable and with poor battery life.
    Only advantage for the Polar was compatibility with a wider range of gym equipment.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Like MeanderingMammal said really, it depends on whether you need BLE or ANT+.

If you’re ANT+ then I’d also echo the Garmin recommendation, the battery life is huge and they’re really reliable.
    I did use a BLE HR strap once and it seemed ok, think it was probably a wahoo one but it’s a few years ago now.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my Polar H7, however I do use an 'older' wear-link strap which may make a slight difference. For me the battery life is very good, but then chances are I'm not using as much as others.

The H10 appears to be similar to what you have if you only require in unit recording and not use a wrist unit or a mobile.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've found my Garmin chest strap to be great. Bought it in 2014, it's done hundreds of hours, batteries last ages, reliable, all day comfortable.

In contrast I've had a selection of Polar chest straps and found them unreliable and with poor battery life.
    Only advantage for the Polar was compatibility with a wider range of gym equipment.

This has been my experience. My original chest strap that came with my Forerunner 35 still works with my Vivoactive HR. I haven't had such a positive experience with Polar.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. My first ever chest strap was Polar, back in the day. I sort of remember the Polar getting in the way of my bra, but that was nearly 2 decades ago now (has it been that long?!) and they've likely gotten smaller. I've also used Suunto and Sigma. Until the Wahoo, my hrm straps were always purchased with my watch/device. I have a Garmin watch, so...looked up the Garmin straps...noted that you save $30 buying the strap as a bundle with a watch. But the bundles aren't offered for any of the "women size" watches. Even though $30 is nothing compared to the price of these devices, that oversight might be enough for me to avoid buying a Garmin strap anyway.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Just a thought, but if you don't like the idea of chest straps, it's worth looking into the Scosche Rhythm+ (or their newer one, the Rhythm 24, which is supposed to be released in the next couple/few weeks).

DCRainmaker, who does thorough, comprehensive tests of a lot of fitness devices, thinks pretty highly of them:

Rhythm+ in-depth review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scosche-antbluetooth-optical.html

Rhythm 24 hands-on first look: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/scosches-rhythm-24-optical-hr-sensor.html

(Disclaimer: no affiliation, just have gotten a lot of useful info from his site which has helped me in purchase decisions)
  • amandaeve
    Options
    @AnvilHead that's the one! Thank you for the recommendation, I already ordered one. I usually waffle for weeks before making a purchase, but that was exactly what I didn't know I was looking for. :):)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    @AnvilHead that's the one! Thank you for the recommendation, I already ordered one. I usually waffle for weeks before making a purchase, but that was exactly what I didn't know I was looking for. :):)

Glad it helped! :) I've been using the Rhythm+ for almost two years and it's still going strong. I played around with positioning and found it works best when I wear it with the sensor on the outside of my upper arm, kind of right where the bicep meets the deltoid. It pairs effortlessly with both my Garmin 935 watch and Garmin Edge 520 cycle computer.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    Cool! I'm hoping I can place it somewhere discreet, my reputation as a data/gadget geek is already strong enough!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Cool! I'm hoping I can place it somewhere discreet, my reputation as a data/gadget geek is already strong enough!

I know that feeling, lol! Try it up under your jersey sleeve, it should be discreet enough there. :) It looks like that was Ray's (DCRainmaker's) favored location in his review.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've been running with a Rhythm+ for 18 months or so. I place it around the largest part of my forearm. I only have issues if I run with an almost dead battery, then it dies during
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The polar A360 is also a great idea if you want the most accuracy without a chest strap. If you look up revivestronger or Dr.eddiejo on Instagram they both posted an infographic of findings from a new study on popular fitness trackers.