This may be a stupid question...

Options
kkauz42
kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
I am going to make spaghetti tonight for dinner and on the box the serving size is 2oz. Is that 2oz dry or cooked?? The box doesn't specify! Thanks! :o]

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Dry!
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Pasta is the hardest thing to figure out, unless you are cooking it only one serving at a time I guess.
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    2 oz dry is equal to 1 cup cooked! HTH
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Yes... If I'm cooking a few servings at a time, I weigh the dry pasta first. Then cook it, add whatever sauce & stuff is going in it. Then weight out 4 (or however many) equal portions.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    2 oz dry is equal to 1 cup cooked! HTH

GOOD TO KNOW! THANKS!!!!! I always wondered about this one!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all!! The do sale pasta measure thingies!! LOL! I dont know what there called! LOL!
  • jamie1888
    Options
    I also want to add that I measure everything out in grams... even something that is prepackaged (pasta, cheese slices, protein bar, etc). Because they are allowed to have some variance in weight and use the same nutritional data. So, if you are trying to be as accurate as you can, just weigh it!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Dry.
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking more than one serving at a time, weigh it out, cook it and put it all in a measuring cup. Divide it back down to one serving..... then you won't have to measure it precook weight again.

For example. If I cook 8oz and the total volume is 2 cups, I know that 2 oz is a 1/4 cup. So when cooking for a family you
    can throw a hand full into a pot and measure whatever portion size you are going to eat by putting it in a measuring
    cup.

(I concur with the above. Portion size is precook weight).
  • kkauz42
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks so much!! Makes everything a lot easier! :o]