What is a good meal to make with hamburger meat?

Options
barbiedollgirl
barbiedollgirl Posts: 57 Member
Wonder what would be something heathly I can make tonight out of hamburger meat? Is there anything?

Replies

• Chunkabutt83
    Options
    not much lol, i suggest just a small burger. Also depends on the fat in the meat, if your working with a 93/7 ratio it wont be as bad for like a whole wheat spaghetti or etc but i wont touch hamburger that has more fat than that
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Baked Ziti (or any noodle)

Ingredients
    1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
    2 medium onions, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
    1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
    3/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
    1 package (16 ounces) ziti or 16 ounces small tube pasta
    1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Directions
    In a large saucepan, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1 teaspoon oregano. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
    Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg substitute, salt and pepper.
    In two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray, spread 1 cup of meat sauce. In each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, 1 cup meat sauce and a fourth of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers of pasta, sauce and cheese mixture.
    Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and oregano. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).

Nutrition Facts: One serving (about 1-1/3 cups) equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 796 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1 starch.

• mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used lean ground beef to make the italian spinach meatballs from skinnytaste.com. My whole family- including my picky kids- cleaned their plates!
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Whole grain spaghetti! Also, look on skinnytaste.com. Anything that says to use ground turkey for, you can substitute beef for. I would definitely stick with the 93/7. Better than the other stuff, and no yucky grease to drain out.
  • laurenpence
    Options
    My family eats on a budget so some nights we eat stuff that I am not a big fan of. Well my husband is a fan of hamburger helper, me not so much.....fattening hamburger meat, butter milk and white pasta....uh no ill pass and have a salad. Well last night he made hamburger helper with the 93/7 meat, no butter fat free milk and whole wheat pasta....one cup 310 calories...hmmmm this with a salad isnt that bad of a meal. Now I wasnt thrilled about the fat content but considering it is a budget meal and it is only once in a while then its ok in my book, and suprisingly didnt taste half bad!
  • diane423
    diane423 Posts: 48
    Options
    I just started making taco saladswith hamburger meat.

1 lb ground meat
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 bag mixed salald
    1 large tomato
    1 chopped onion
    1 bag fat free tortilla chips
    fat free ranch dressing

combine ground beef and taco seasonings.
    place salad, tomato, onion in large bowl.
    top salad with cooked ground beef and fat free dressing mix
    then crumble a few taco chips and place on top of salad .

ENJOY.. really delish....
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    My family eats on a budget so some nights we eat stuff that I am not a big fan of. Well my husband is a fan of hamburger helper, me not so much.....fattening hamburger meat, butter milk and white pasta....uh no ill pass and have a salad. Well last night he made hamburger helper with the 93/7 meat, no butter fat free milk and whole wheat pasta....one cup 310 calories...hmmmm this with a salad isnt that bad of a meal. Now I wasnt thrilled about the fat content but considering it is a budget meal and it is only once in a while then its ok in my book, and suprisingly didnt taste half bad!

we are always on a budget too, i do hamburger helper periodically, thats not too bad actually for calories!
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Taco Pasta Salad

3 cups uncooked spiral pasta (I use multigrain)
    1 lb extra lean ground beef
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    3 cups lettuce
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup Catalina salad dressing (I use the light version)
    Tortilla chips

Cook pasta. Meanwhile, cook beef over meduim heat; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. Cool. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; stir into meat mixture. Add lettuce, cheese, onion, green pepper, and dressing; toss to coat. Serve with tortilla chips. (I usually just crumble a few on top.) Makes 6 servings.
    Per serving 400 calories

Really good and quick meal! Hubby loves it!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Taco Pasta Salad

3 cups uncooked spiral pasta (I use multigrain)
    1 lb extra lean ground beef
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    3 cups lettuce
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup Catalina salad dressing (I use the light version)
    Tortilla chips

Cook pasta. Meanwhile, cook beef over meduim heat; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. Cool. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; stir into meat mixture. Add lettuce, cheese, onion, green pepper, and dressing; toss to coat. Serve with tortilla chips. (I usually just crumble a few on top.) Makes 6 servings.
    Per serving 400 calories

Really good and quick meal! Hubby loves it!

Oh that sounds good! I'm a sucker for taco salad! I do a version of this but with brown rice instead of pasta. You brown the beef, add 1 cup rice, taco seasoning and 1 cup water let simmer for 15 minutes or however long it takes for the kind of rice you use. Then top like a salad or it's great in a low carb tortilla as a taco. I also occasionally add a can of black beans. Sometimes I make a batch of this on Sunday and take to work for lunch all week long.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Tacos, meat loaf, hamburgers are all in regular rotation at my house.