Training for 50 mile bike ride

Options
13»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    ... Honestly I don't quite understand the practical difference between the Shiny Object and the Fatty Object. Any size CO2 should fit in it and any other CO2 pump and they both have dials to control the speed at which the CO2 is released (the Fatty's is apparently larger to accommodate gloves). The size of the CO2 cartridge shouldn't be an issue with the inflator itself.

About the threading and the sizes (and pressure) of the cartridges, all of the threading is the same. What you see with CO2 cartridges is that there are threaded ones and unthreaded ones. ...

So both REI and bike shop (I made that trip also as well) were out of shelf stock on the Lezyne and Portland. I wound up with a Genuine Innovations that handles both threaded and non-threaded, presta and schrader, to head down to Maryland this weekend. I could have gotten a Bontrager presta-only, but after 35 years, I've learned that "a happy wife is a happy life," so I'll be able to support her and her hybrid with schrader. Moral of the story: pre-plan ahead, and you won't have to settle for what's on hand. Oh, and my floor pump leak failure that initiated this whole search? It turned out to be a loose seal in the head; all fixed. But I'm all the wiser for the experience.

Thanks for your time and advice, and happy riding!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    newway2b wrote: »
    Hi all I decided at the beginning of year to do the London to Brighton bike ride . I currently only ride my bike to work and back about 5 miles round trip.. not 55miles. I was wondering for anyone who is currently training or has trained in the past for long bike ride could give me some pointers please? And if you were training now if you fancy a virtual buddy?

I think this is an awesome goal. I will have been riding a year in August and I have done quite a few rides over 50 miles at this point. I have to say I didn't really train too much for them minus my normal weekly 30 mile weekend group rides. I just did a 90 mile ride a month ago and the friend that I rode with had never done a ride over 40 before that day so I think it's completely doable and sounds like you have given yourself plenty of time to train.

To echo what others have said, bike fit is important, padded shorts and jersey with pockets. I have been lucky in that I have not had to change a tire but I have taken at this point at least eight tire changing clinics which are free at local bike stores, so I do carry everything I need to change it. I always start off with one bottle of BCAAs and glutamine and when I finish that I drink water. Snacks vary from uncrustables, gummies, gu or tablets for my water.

As far as gear I get a lot of my stuff on Amazon or REI sale section. After being on a century where someone was killed I now wear a 1bandid and never take it off.

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Me and hubby did a 60 miler in Ireland last year. I bike to work (3 miles each way) and did some spin classes, hubby did short bursts on a gym bike. The year before we had done a 25 miler with not a lot of practice and that had been fine. For the 60 miler we both did gym bike training (60mins usually) and we got out for about 4 long rides - longest was 35 miles. We have small children so it's hard to get out for long rides. The ride was tough - it wasn't just twice as long - there were Soooo many long climbs and the weather was terrible. We had practiced some climbs, but not enough. Practice lots of hillls! It took us 6 hours, but we completed it. We used mountain bikes with their original tyres - bad move. If we were doing it again we'd put road tyres on, although a road bike would be better. Our mountain bikes are 17 years old, still really good bikes but heavy compared to new ones.

Make sure you have done a couple of practice rides in the clothing and kit you will do the event in. You don't want to find it something rubs 15 miles in! Take a couple of plasters and paracetamol just in case.
    I am used to riding with a rucksack, and we weren't going for time so I carried a rucksack with water, bananas,tissues, waterproofs (it's Ireland!) and a spare jumper as I get very cold when I'm tired.
    On the day just try and enjoy it and be proud when you cross the line.