Question

since i have lost 46 lbs i have this flabby skin hanging i am 63 almost 64 is there anything that works to tighten skin up or do i have to have surgery which i can not afford it

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Unfortunately skin retraction is mainly down to genetics, age plays a part too- the younger one is the better chance one has.
    It can take a couple of years until your skin stops retracting so if you have just reached your goal, give it time.

Exercise, cardio and weights can help the lose skin have a better frame to hang off and good posture can make a visual difference also.

Moisturizer will make it look better, but doesn't help it shrink.

Cheers, h.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I'm 58 years old and last year lost 30 pounds. My skin is loose, too. Exercise and the passage of time is helping somewhat. I have adopted the mindset that I'd rather have some parts of me hanging loose instead of bulging out. I agree that some exercise seems to help, especially because my posture has improved. Very few people see me naked, and I look better in my smaller size clothes. So I guess I'm just rolling with the punches, instead of having a roll for a paunch.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Spanx are the best and pants that fit proper.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    If you're not all the way to goal weight yet, it's too soon to worry. You may still have some less-dense "squishy fat" conspiring with gravity to keep skin stretched. For some of us, there's a stage part way to goal that looks worse than we'll look at goal weight. Scary, but temporary!

Even when I reached goal, my loose skin kept shrinking well into my second year of maintenance. (I was 59-60 when I lost 50+ pounds).

Middlehaitch gave some good advice above about exercise & posture, too.

Take heart: There's still time for improvement to happen! :)