Meals were beans are the main star

Options
midlomel1971
midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
I'd like to start incorporating more meals into my diet where beans are the main source of protein. I currently make black beans and rice and occasionally throw beans onto a salad, but I need to branch out.

Anyone have some good bean recipes?

Replies

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion you can pair black beans with every thing. Black bean quesadilla's, tacos, BB burgers, chili, etc.
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this Greek Chickpea Salad all week! The below measurements made about 4-5 servings for me, with about 241 calories per serving:

Salad:
    1-2 cans chickpeas, drained
    1 cucumber, chopped
    1 container cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing:
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbs balsamic vinegar
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper

I made a big batch on sunday and I'm enjoying the last portion for lunch today :) You can add other things if you like as well, green bell pepper or onion would be a nice addition!

• XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I often eat ground turkey with black beans, cooked with tomato sauce, onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and other veggies and corn, with a side of brown rice., or you could cook black beans with veggies and stuff bell peppers with it. For breakfast sometimes I have scrambled eggs with spinach/bell peppers and side of black beans.
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/12/curried-chickpeas-spinach/ -I skip the ginger if I don’t have it in the house and sub canned diced or diced tomato and frozen spinach and it is super fast, easy and delicious

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/chunky-lentil-vegetable-soup/ -this is another simple delicious go to recipe for me and it combines lentils and black beans. I almost always add a fair bit of fresh or frozen spinach because lentils and spinach just go together imo

Also, if it helps, it’s also ok sometimes to give yourself permission to give up the gourmet aspirations and just dump some drained canned beans into a bowl, with or without other stuff like roasted veggies, canned tuna, rice, sweet or white potatoes and sprinkle or drizzle whatever flavoring you like and call it good. Chickpeas, sweet potato, mustard and honey with salt and pepper is pretty bomb. And warm beans (any kind, butter beans, pintos) topped with a small pat of butter is really tasty and satisfying (i know it sounds weird but try it)

Oh, and sometimes I make a ‘quesadilla’ but I substitute nonfat refried beans for the cheese and it’s really good bc the beans get all soft and melty. It’s not the same as cheese but very tasty in its own right. Can also dip tortilla chips in warm refried beans
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use refried beans mixed with taco seasoning to replace ground beef, I use it on tacos, quesadillas, etc.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    I've been eating this Greek Chickpea Salad all week! The below measurements made about 4-5 servings for me, with about 241 calories per serving:

Salad:
    1-2 cans chickpeas, drained
    1 cucumber, chopped
    1 container cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing:
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbs balsamic vinegar
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp each, salt & pepper

I made a big batch on sunday and I'm enjoying the last portion for lunch today :) You can add other things if you like as well, green bell pepper or onion would be a nice addition!

Stealing that for my daughter. She's had some stomach issues and can't seem to eat meat lately. It sounds good, even to me and I am definitely not vegetarian. Thanks!
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a big black bean fan. One of the great things about black beans and rice is the fact that it can be made so many different ways. Here's one of my favorite variations:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/cilantro-lime-and-black-bean-rice/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I like using pasta made with beans. You get all the beans and a bunch of the branching out.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Drain 3 cans of any beans you like. Can replace some with cooked,drained lentils if you want. I usually use kidney beans,great northern & black beans.

Dice veggies,whatever you have.Onion,green or red peppers ,celery,a couple zucchini. Use veggies that don’t get mushy.Add 3 Tbl olive oil,1/4 C rice vinegar,garlic to taste.a tsp of sugar,Tbl of italian seasoning,S&P.Add diced cheese,mozzarella,cheddar or your choice. This keeps covered in fridge.

Serve on spinach & lettuce leaves,adding tomato when in season. This is often lunch for me.So tasty.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    White chicken chili.

https://pin.it/fcxxq2gl25p6sy
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Chickpea casserole with lemon.

https://pin.it/loeq2loc6uoahh
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Curried red lentil and pumpkin soup.

https://pin.it/yz6sx6ng36s6xi

I put a handful of lentils in my spaghetti sauce a couple weeks ago.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for a sweet and tangy sauce of beans and veggies served over spaghetti squash. But would be great on it's own or over rice or even pasta. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/10/spaghetti-squash-with-sofrito-and-beans.html

Spaghetti%2BSquash%2Bwith%2BSofrito%2Band%2BBeans5.jpg
  • tillycrooke
    tillycrooke Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Replace your ground beef with mixed beans and kidney beans, in your burritos
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Google tarka dahl. Essentially boiled lentils with fried onions and aromatics stirred into them. More delicious than I make it sound. Also google chana massala for a classic chickpea curry.

Also google Ottolenghi recipes if you are looking for more elaborate bean based recipes. His mejadra recipe is great. It is essentially rice, fried spices, lentils, fried onions, all topped with yoghurt.

In general, I would say look to India and the Middle Eastern kitchen for a large variety of bean based main dishes.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    paging @slimgirljo15
    :laugh:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    And if you get tired of the soupy texture of boiled bean recipes, in the middle eastern kitchen there are several bean fritters such as broad bean fritters and falafels which are a good main course. If you are counting calories it is probably wise to do these in an air fryer or convection oven.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Aubergine and red kidney bean casserole ..,

Chickpea added to many chicken dishes - eg chicken, fennel and chickpea casserole (or rather chickpea and fennel casserole with a bit of chicken!)

Lentils alongside or instead of mince in - shepherd's or cottage pie, lasagne etc

Refried bean in tortilla wraps

Lentil and egg curry. Er and the other Student clasic veggis chilli.

Chickpea (and chorizo) casserole

Bean burgers. (I prefer quite a few to a poor quality beef burger!)

Butter beans are really good in tomato-ey casseroles