Falling off track

Options
Hey! I always have this problem..i start out good but then i get busy and stop working out. once that happens i feel bad about myself so then i indulge in whatever food i want. This recently happened to me for about a week..now im ready to end this stupid cycle but i need help. How can i keep myself motivated? Its so hard when i live with my family and they eat junk without caring. I need tips! thanks!:happy:

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Take one choice at a time and choose the healthier option. If you fall off track on one choice, don't let it lead to one or several more choices. (i.e. the one cookie leading to the whole bag. :smile: ) The more you exercise this mental muscle, the better you will be. You can do it!!
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    That is hard, when you have people you live with that eat junk and unhealthy all the time. You have to remember that you're doing this FOR YOU. It is very easy to give into temptations and over indulge, but think about how you'll feel in a year, 2 years, etc., and you're still in the same position you were in, over eating, being depressed because of it, not a good feeling. I used to make excuses, like, "I can't work out anyway, might as well just eat what I want now until I can get to the gym", I had to end all that and think completely the opposite. I got tired of every Summer not being able to wear a bathing suit, saying to myself, that this Summer was going to be the Summer I get into shape. I had to make a lifestyle change. I educate myself on food, I pass that on to my family and we took baby steps together. Now I don't even want to touch junk or over eat because I am wayyyy more happy looking in the mirror at myself now than I was when I was putting junk in my body.

I wish you the best! Good luck!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Catrinaxoxo
    Options
    My hubby eats junk and when he cooks those bacon breakfast sandwiches it gets hard, I just tell myself that those foods are not what my body needs. The other day I almost cheated so I put a post on my mfp wall and my friends on here sent me motivating words within minutes, it was great. I didn't cheat and went out for an extended walk to get my mind off it.
  • nanny2mommie
    Options
    i live with family also and i am the only one who is tryin to lose weight at the time and its not easy bu whatido is i think about how har i ahve been workin to get where i am at and my goal from he start... feel free to add me also i would love more frineds and motivation when needed also...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You just have to make yourself keep going. Wanting to be fit needs to become a higher priority than wanting to be lazy.
  • laurenpence
    Options
    I used to do the same thing once in a great while. I never stop working out but I did binge on the food i gave up. The only thing that worked for me was to allow myself the food I love whenever I want it, just in moderation. Since part of yours is working otu, find something you love and dont want to give up. For me that is running, if i dont run i get cranky.
  • miarisa1
    Options
    Do you ever watch Extreme Makover: Weight Loss Edition? One of the biggest problems for these folks is their families and routines. You've made a routine for years and a couple weeks of good habbits can so easily be forgotten. I was working out 5 times a week and then it was 4 and then school started and it was 3 and now I'm lucky to get in a walk now and then. I think it takes honest conversation with the folks around you - "hey, this is my goal and I need you to help me." Good luck!
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Jacksonsmomma2211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. It can be very hard to stay motivated, it's a big part of why I have become so active lately on this site. I think you have to indulge every once in a while. But the key for me is to get back into things the next day. For example my brother just got married last weekend, so yeah I had a couple drinks and ate some stuff I shouldn't have but you can't deprive yourself of everything. I look at it as a little reward for getting as far as I have. Then the next day it's time to get back to work. And I understand it being harder around family. My husband is not on board with me at all, but he can lose weight in his sleep I swear. He buys all kinds of junk and some days it's really hard to resist it but the more that you can fight that craving you have won a little battle in the right direction.
    My motivation is vacation next summer, I want to finally look good in a swimsuit. Maybe try making some little goals for yourself and treat yourself a little when you reach those goals. We gotta be proud of what we accomplish cause this isn't easy at all....
    Hope I helped! Good Luck! :)
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It is hard! My husband snacks at night on brownies and ice cream... ugh! I want nothing more than to eat right along with him :) Really, the only way I can do it to stop and consider what I'm going to see on the scale the next day. When I've worked so hard to see results it's discouraging to see a moment of weakness (or in my case, a whole weekend of weakness) undo everything I've worked for.

Last weekend, I went off the deep end. Still didn't eat half of what I used to, but enough that I weighed 5 lbs more on Monday than I did on Friday :( That realization is what kicked me back into gear, but it's taken me all week to overcome the mess up, and now I just think in terms of the fact that it just isn't worth it.

You can do it!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    You just have to make yourself keep going. Wanting to be fit needs to become a higher priority than wanting to be lazy.

IM SO STEALING THIS!!! love you!
  • miarisa1
    Options
    @ Laurenpence - my coworker listens to books on tape. Something he wants to read. And he ONLY gets to listen to it if he's working out. Pretty cool, I think.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too! I've been using MFP for about 6 months now and that has helped me, but the last 2 months or so I've been busy enjoying the weather and not getting my workouts in...I've maintained the weight I lost this spring but haven't lost any either :( ! I'm hoping I see some good advice on this one! One thing that helps me is the success stories with pictures on here! That is great motivation. I also have some before and during pictures I look at once a month that help show me the overall progress I've made... Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other!
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear and often times follow the same cycle. Earlier this year I took control and decided to quit smoking and start losing weight. It was very difficult with my family still eating crap and not wanting to change their habits so I started telling myself, "This is for me. This is about me, and this is my time. I deserve this. I deserve health and happiness and it starts today, with me. I am in control of these choices and this time, it is about me." I know that sounds silly and cheesy, but I would tell myself that whenever I wanted to smoke, or now, whenever I want to eat everything in the pantry. Take a deep breath and remind yourself that you deserve this and you are doing it for you. Then drink a big glass of water and get out of the kitchen. =)
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same boat as you! The three biggest things I found helpful were as follows:

1. Make small goals for yourself. Myself I make daily goals. That makes the whole thing a little less intimidating

2. Use the site "friends". I have found the friends I have on this site so helpful. It is nice to have people out there that are going through the same kind of things you are. On that note.. I am going to send you a friend request.

3. Don't beat yourself up about what has happened. Forgive your bad days and move on...

Cheers,
    Alison
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We have snacks in our house that tempt me all the time (I have a teenager and it's just impossible to NOT have snacks or unhealthy food in the house).
    1)Logging those snack calories is so hard for me that I usually just end up walking away.
    2)I check and see how many I can have of something and still be at/under my calorie goal for the day!
    3) If I can't meet it, then I say "What exercise can I do for 15 minutes that will burn enough calories to justify me eating this snack?" Then, I exercise first and have the snack after.

Most of my snacks run between 150-300 calories, so that equals between 15 minutes to 30 minutes of brisk walking. That's a quick trip around the neighborhood!

This way, I can indulge and not have to worry that I've sabotaged myself!

We'll still have days where we totally go off-track, but the more and more you keep track (and look at those reports), you'll see where those "cheat" days become less and less, because you see what you can accomplish! When I thought back over the last few weeks, I thought I had at least 5 or 6 cheat days. Turns out, after running the report, I only had TWO! Just goes to show how my mind was playing tricks!

I like that MFP says "If you eat like this every day, you'll be XXX pounds in 5 weeks!" You can look at that and say "Wow, I'm so much closer to my goal. Do I really want to sabotage that by indulging?"

If I can do this, as a busy single working mother who can have anywhere from 1-3 jobs at one time, while living with chronic back pain from herniated disks causing nerve damage, you can too!
  • pamben92
    pamben92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is a very hard thing to do while dieting, staying on course all the time. You're note alone, we have all had times where we fell off track but what we have in common is that we all got back on track and kept it going. Just remember it's a process, a long one and anything worth while will not happen instantly; you've got to work hard for it. Keep at it and when you have bad days, let it go and start again the next day.

8939059.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

OW: 265 (Before I joined MFP)
    GW: 185
    MFPW: 250
    CW: 242
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I hear you, that is my problem. I think of this, my family has so many health problems because of being over weight. I don't want those same problems. I have been begging my dad for at least 5 years to watch what he eats, well, now his belly is so large he could be kate when she was pregnant. He said he would walk for about 30 minutes, adn his hip hurt. My mom talks about losing weight, but will not give up her wine, at least a glass a day! I see the blood pressure medication, the lack of energy, the tiredness, and decided, I want better! I smoke, but that has been cutting back with everything I have been doing lately, I plan on being 120, and smoke free, for me. It's hard, but when they go for Ice cream, frozen yogurt is a great alternative, adn they have them in individual servings now. They want potatoe chips, baked tortilla chips.
    Motivate yourself bythinking about why you are losing the weight, the reason you decided to do it. Life is short, and to me, adding ll that crap on top of it will just shorten it up.
  • laurenpence
    Options
    @ Laurenpence - my coworker listens to books on tape. Something he wants to read. And he ONLY gets to listen to it if he's working out. Pretty cool, I think.

I thnk that is really cool......its a way of getting you to workout and enjoy something you love all at the same time!
  • michelle9999
    michelle9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... great for the first little bit, then...

hopefully we will both stick around! :)
  • tonie13
    tonie13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Its not thinking oh no ive failted by having a chocolate biscuit! everything is ok to eat as long as its in moderation. If i am having a bad day and feel like some chocolate i have it, i just have to work a little harder or talk the dogs on a slightly longer walk!

i know how you feel as i regularly have a few months off here and there (usually when i start to notice that im losing weight and i get excited and nip out for a macdonalds breakfast!)

Just keep at it and dont beat yourself up over it!