Craving crunchy stuff and chocolate ☹️

Options
I’m struggling right after I’ve eaten a meal, I immediately want something crunchy like a cracker or toast and some chocolate or cake.
How do I overcome these cravings and why am I craving crunchy food like crackers? Cheers

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I need hard crunchy foods too. I think it is because there are people I subconsciously want to bite. But that’s antisocial so I chew on dry popcorn or a Wasa Cracker instead.

Totally anecdotal but my hubby is the chief cook and bottle washer around here and he looks forward to his daily chocolate reward. It could be if your job is not providing regular positive feedback, chocolate is filling the gap.

https://www.amanochocolate.com/faqs/why-does-chocolate-make-people-happy/

A low calorie chocolate fix can be a cup of hot cocoa using cocoa powder and an artificial sweetener. I also like chai tea sprinkled with a teaspoon of cocoa.

Analyse the trigger for the craving, and it will be highly personal, and find an alternative.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    Options
    So save a few calories...

I have a box of chocolate chips pecan cookie bites (Famous Amos) and a couple usually does it for me. Two for 70ish calories and it feels like dessert.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    find a small something that fits into your daily calorie goals - if you can't fit a piece of toast maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive - there is nothing inherently wrong with bread
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love low calorie subs. Crisp wise, pop chips are around 93cal per bag, graze/nakd chocolate bars about 140 per one (former is like a rice crispy cake, latter chocolate is seriously like a bar, but pressed fruit) & a whole packet of chewits comes in at 115. They stop me feeling deprived, keep me sane & are so low cal I fit in two a day without fail. Hope you find something to suit you, cravings can really gnaw & take over... especially if you aren't able to break off say, one piece of chocolate - I definitely fall into that camp! Best of luck :)
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate when I feel like it, I try and have something around 100 calories because if I tried to cut out chocolate I would crave it so having some when I want it stops me having a chocolate binge.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You are thinking of it. Stop that by doing some kind of exercise and drinking water. As others above have stated, provide yourself with the treats you like. Enjoy them in moderation. It's ok.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think fruit has been by best "fix" for craving, or maybe the water too. I was buying a bag of Werthers Originals or M&M caramels, and eating them every day. I believe I actually had withdrawals because I wanted some candy so bad. But first, I quit buying them, over a week ago now, and started drinking a lot of water in between meals. I haven't substituted anything except healthy foods. Well, I don't know if Simply Fruit jam is that good for me, but it makes a nice snack if I have to have something in the evening. Also, my peanut butter (Adams chunky salted) is good.

For crunchies, I will do saltines, and some Graham crackers too. I figure my "goals" using a TDEE calculator, this one: https://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/ and then I just figure in any snack, and don't worry about it. But my cravings are gone, and it's only been a bit over a week since I quit eating the sugars, potato chips, etc.;) My diary is open to public if you want to see what I'm eating. It is working for me:)

I just saw what Jerome said above me and I agree 100%. We don't have to deprive ourselves of having anything if we keep it in moderation. I am not eating what I was, but only as a "kick-start" for me to get back to eating normally. I don't believe in "crash diets" or saying "I can't have that" for fear of gaining unwanted weight. I can have it if I keep up on exercise, and not being sedentary. I understand some folks choose not to do it my way, and it is individual choice and more than respect every, person's right to choose. Also, I understand there are those with food-allergies.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    THere are two things I get from www.healthsmartfoods.com that help me. The chocolate fudge coated protein bars, and the “crispy caramels”. The protein bar has about 100 calories, 10 G protein, 10g fiber. The Crispy caramel has about 120 calories and about 10g fiber - it’s sort of like 2 mini “100 grand” bars. I’ll have a bottle of water with it too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    find a small something that fits into your daily calorie goals - if you can't fit a piece of toast maybe your calorie goal is too aggressive - there is nothing inherently wrong with bread

This^

Microwave popcorn or a Ghiradelli dark chocolate square are my go to snacks. Fruit does not = chocolate.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I always save a few cals for an after dinner sweet. I have a big sweet tooth so that's important to me. I'll have my hot tea and usually: a fudgesicle, popcorn (sometimes with chocolate chips tossed in), or some kind of cookie or dessert that I've made that week. Pepperidge Farm makes a cookie called Geneva which is a crunchy cookie base with a layer of chocolate topped with pecans- it's so good and has that chocolately crunch aspect you're going for! They are about 55 cals a piece I think.
  • ffsdfs
    ffsdfs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I ate some cereal, special k with red berries and added some fresh raspberries and loads of semi skimmed milk.
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you seen halo top ice cream? Check it out. Bunch of different flavors.
  • kimikinsx3
    kimikinsx3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Ugh. I ALWAYS crave chocolate. If I absolutely have to have it, I get the darkest chocolate I can find and have just one square after dinner each night :)
  • Diastole
    Diastole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also average about 1 square of dark chocolate a night. Dark chocolate has much less sugar and calories than the rest so it`s worth looking into.
  • mirgriff
    mirgriff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sweet balanced breaks by Sargento give me the cheese I love, dried fruit and chocolate for under 200 calories.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    try Kind's Chocolate Granola....very crunchy with a bit of sweetness.