A good pair of grip gloves?

Options
Anyone got any recommendations on gloves that have good grip on for weight lifting? Thanks all!

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Your hands?

Use some chalk, or straps where appropriate

This, all day long.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I’ve got some straps already I just hate getting calluses and I like a little extra grip if I could. I don’t like using chalk or liquid chalk either :(.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    I’ve got some straps already I just hate getting calluses and I like a little extra grip if I could. I don’t like using chalk or liquid chalk either :(.

I haven't used gloves in years, and wouldn't say my calluses give me rough, horrid hands. They're barely noticeable - with the exception of a couple.of times I've ripped skin off. Admittedly, I don't deadlift a lot, and wear straps more often than not.
  • Reed039
    Reed039 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The main issue with gloves is that they'll limit your grip strength due to restricting hand movement and increasing the effective diameter of the thing you're gripping. Using straps will significantly decrease the amount of damage your hands will receive if that's a limiting factor.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any will do so long as you make sure they match your purse.

I keed, I keed

And this is why I don't carry a purse either LOL
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any will do so long as you make sure they match your purse.

I keed, I keed

Aha. OP If you're worried about callused strong hands. Buy some lotion. I built railroads for a living and deadlift 3x a week using just chalk. And I still have soft hands despite some mild calluses
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I like my "GoFit Diamond Tac Weightlifting Gloves".
    I get better grip compared to not using gloves which is my main reason, but not only reason, for using them.

If you are in the UK....
    I got them from Fitness Superstore for about £10 and they have lasted a couple of years so far.
  • kazane1
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I like my "GoFit Diamond Tac Weightlifting Gloves".
    I get better grip compared to not using gloves which is my main reason, but not only reason, for using them.

If you are in the UK....
    I got them from Fitness Superstore for about £10 and they have lasted a couple of years so far.

Thanks mate I’ll check them out.
  • kazane1
    Options
    Thanks for all the input people!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I use a pair of cheap (in cost but not quality) fingerless leather palmed and synthetic backed climbing gloves that I bought at REI. They only cost around $15.

They provide comfort w/o negatively affecting my grip and, since they are so inexpensive, I actually have 3 pairs of them; one that I use for rowing, one for use lifting in my garage and one that I carry in my gym bag.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Another "*kitten* gloves" person here. I do use straps for backoffs on pulls but that is more grip failing and trying to work in more volume.

I honestly feel glove take away from the grip and reduce your connection to the barbell. I have callouses but they are not too bad. I just file them down once a week and they stay fairly smooth. You can use lotion after lifting to help minimize them if you really don't like to have them.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Calluses for life here; I do use straps though
    For grip, if needed I will use Al(Cl)3/Certain Dry 12% (non-Rx/OTC) every other day (it's strong but can be irritating if using too much or applying too frequently). This stuff will make your hands bone-dry
  • kazane1
    Options
    Thanks for the input all
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Get calluses. Your grip will strengthen. I lift 5x a week and have callused hands but nothing major.

I try not to even use straps anymore but they're only used on back after deads as my grip then fails on rows and lat pull. My grip is too weak for my back strength.
  • kazane1
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    Get calluses. Your grip will strengthen. I lift 5x a week and have callused hands but nothing major.

I try not to even use straps anymore but they're only used on back after deads as my grip then fails on rows and lat pull. My grip is too weak for my back strength.

I find I can do with the extra grip where ever I can get it lol.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have the "tacky" gloves from Walmart... I think they are gold's gym brand.