Best way to lose body fat and gain muscle

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    22% on a weigh scale is only accurate within anywhere from 5 to 10%. They are not a very accurate way of testing. They can differ greatly based on water % in your body etc. But if you are somewhere close to 22% that isn't a lot of body fat. You can gain muscle lean mass and lose fat at the same time no problem. I'm doing it now but I have a lot more fat than that to lose. I use body comp imaging to know the exact body fat and lean muscle mass I am carrying. And please don't listen to people that say lose only 1 or 2 lbs a week cause "that's the healthy way". That is complete old science B.S. If you do things right you can lose as much fat as you want. I am losing from 3 to 4 lbs of fat every week by keto and intermittent fasting and doing cardio and weight lifting. Go on youtube and look up Dr. Eric Berg for more in depth info on that kind of thing. And Thomas Delauer for more of the muscle gain end of things combined with intermittent fasting and keto. If you do things right and transform your metabolism into keto adapted fat burning then you can lose as much fat as you want because your body doesn't suffer any energy loss or organ function because your body burns as much as it wants from fat storage. Weight loss of fat should only be slowed down when body fat % get very low where there is actual risk of the body catatonic-ally using muscle to burn as energy instead of fat. Being keto adapted means your body no longer runs on burning glucose from carbs (sugar) intake because you stop ingesting so much carbs and instead eat a diet of around 5 to 10% carbs, around 25% protein and around 70% good fats poly/moly fats. I've lost 47 lbs in 77 days and have tons of energy and feel great. Also to ensure you build muscle while you are working out and eating right make sure you consume around .4 to 1 gram of protein per lb of your body weight. Any less you won't gain muscle at a good rate and any more than that your body can convert to glucose which is not good.

Even a fat adapted person's body runs off of glucose. In fact, it's so important, if the body isn't consuming glucose, it will create it's own through glucenogenesis. Roughly 60% of it's glucose is derived by proteins and 40% from fats. The only difference between fat adapted and non fat adapted is the rate at which you burn fat vs glucose. So in terms of substrate utilization, you will be at like 60/40 instead of 50/50. Either way, it doesn't really matter. And fat is a less effective source of fuel for anaerobic activities. If you want to easily see this, carb load before your next heavy lifting session and see how it goes. There is a reason why people use TKD/CKD protocols while bulking in the keto world.

Also, .4g/lb is significantly under-dosed for protein needs (even more so if you are glycogen depleted). You are much better off being at 1.5-2.2g/kg or slightly higher if your goals are muscle gains within a deficit ( source).

OP, the key thing is, like others alluded to, is following a well structured lifting routine (found in my link above), having a moderate deficit, and adequate protein; at the very least, aim for 1g per lb of a goal weight.
  • Travislrone
    Travislrone Posts: 5 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    22% on a weigh scale is only accurate within anywhere from 5 to 10%. They are not a very accurate way of testing. They can differ greatly based on water % in your body etc. But if you are somewhere close to 22% that isn't a lot of body fat. You can gain muscle lean mass and lose fat at the same time no problem. I'm doing it now but I have a lot more fat than that to lose. I use body comp imaging to know the exact body fat and lean muscle mass I am carrying. And please don't listen to people that say lose only 1 or 2 lbs a week cause "that's the healthy way". That is complete old science B.S. If you do things right you can lose as much fat as you want. I am losing from 3 to 4 lbs of fat every week by keto and intermittent fasting and doing cardio and weight lifting. Go on youtube and look up Dr. Eric Berg for more in depth info on that kind of thing. And Thomas Delauer for more of the muscle gain end of things combined with intermittent fasting and keto. If you do things right and transform your metabolism into keto adapted fat burning then you can lose as much fat as you want because your body doesn't suffer any energy loss or organ function because your body burns as much as it wants from fat storage. Weight loss of fat should only be slowed down when body fat % get very low where there is actual risk of the body catatonic-ally using muscle to burn as energy instead of fat. Being keto adapted means your body no longer runs on burning glucose from carbs (sugar) intake because you stop ingesting so much carbs and instead eat a diet of around 5 to 10% carbs, around 25% protein and around 70% good fats poly/moly fats. I've lost 47 lbs in 77 days and have tons of energy and feel great. Also to ensure you build muscle while you are working out and eating right make sure you consume around .4 to 1 gram of protein per lb of your body weight. Any less you won't gain muscle at a good rate and any more than that your body can convert to glucose which is not good.

Even a fat adapted person's body runs off of glucose. In fact, it's so important, if the body isn't consuming glucose, it will create it's own through glucenogenesis. Roughly 60% of it's glucose is derived by proteins and 40% from fats. The only difference between fat adapted and non fat adapted is the rate at which you burn fat vs glucose. So in terms of substrate utilization, you will be at like 60/40 instead of 50/50. Either way, it doesn't really matter. And fat is a less effective source of fuel for anaerobic activities. If you want to easily see this, carb load before your next heavy lifting session and see how it goes. There is a reason why people use TKD/CKD protocols while bulking in the keto world.

Also, .4g/lb is significantly under-dosed for protein needs (even more so if you are glycogen depleted). You are much better off being at 1.5-2.2g/kg or slightly higher if your goals are muscle gains within a deficit ( source).

OP, the key thing is, like others alluded to, is following a well structured lifting routine (found in my link above), having a moderate deficit, and adequate protein; at the very least, aim for 1g per lb of a goal weight.

After seeing so much compiled research amongst you all I feel well inspired and knowledgeable! All that's left now is to do a bit of trial and error, with a lot less involved on the error portion, lol! Thank you for so much of your time and patience with me! It won't go in vain. I hope to return some results one day to so my appreciation. I've already started putting all of these things into play, so I'll just have to remain vigilant! Thanks again.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2018
    sijomial wrote: »
    The big difference between myfitnesspal and the more usual TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) methods is simply the way you account for your exercise. The maths behind that is a bit more complex which means it's sensible to use the right tool for the job. Select the method, select the tool, use the tool rather than work it out yourself.

Myfitnesspal gets you to estimate your exercise calories on the day so you get a variable daily amount to eat which keeps you on track for your selected rate of loss.
    TDEE sites get you to estimate your weekly exercise in advance and an average amount of exercise calories is added to your daily goal so you have a same day every day calorie goal. (Either don't log your exercise or log as zero calories).

You can see that over the course of a week or longer you should end up in the same place.
    A lot of personal preference over which method suits a person.
    For me I would hate have the same goal every day (would feel more restrictive), my exercise varies massively (none to 9hrs as two extremes), a lot of my exercise needs fuelling on the day (I cycle a lot).
    Other people like the discipline and planning aspect of a same day goal and have a regular exercise routine.

I actually used MFP’s method while I was losing my initial weight. Once i had reached my goals I switched to what @sijomial describes using weekly TDEE calculations using iifym.com. What it did was give me the ability to eat the same calories on a rest day as I do on a workout day. Since I’m pretty tall my average TDEE this way ends up in the 2400-2700 calories a day range, and for me it works. If that number was much lower I might have issues with energy on workout days. So I’d have to agree with @sijomial, what works best for one person might not be the same as another. But while losing weight I was more than willing to be more restrictive on rest days so that on days I worked out I could eat like a king and still lose weight. ;)