Best Running Apps

steelaxitute2127
steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
edited April 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I’m trying to figure out the best running app to use along with my Fitbit blaze. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    What do you want the app to do?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I like Endomondo and it's free
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    I use Runkeeper - What I did initially was I tried a few out to figure out which one I liked the best and wanted to keep.

Endomondo was a close second!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I use Runtastic and like it. I think I move to the paid app but can't remember. I know it was cheap. Pros, it syncs to my MFP account and post my runs, tracks my miles on my shoes so I know when to replace. I never tried any others so I can't say its the best but it works for me.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Strava. Handles all sorts of sports so it’s ideal for me.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    again strava .. it handles the running, cycling, rowing, swimming it even logs yoga now :| .... one app to do it all .... it even has a nice, non chronological feed, so guesses what posts you should look at first just like facebook ... ARRRRGH! I hate the feed

but its good at the sports side of things, just the social media bit it annoying
  • steelaxitute2127
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I want the app to be able to track my runs better. I use my Fitbit app right now to log my workouts, but my Army recruiter wants me to get my two mile run time down to 16 minutes, so I want to be able to track my progression for it.
  • steelaxitute2127
    I like Endomondo and it's free

What did you like best about Endomondo?
  • steelaxitute2127
    I use Runkeeper - What I did initially was I tried a few out to figure out which one I liked the best and wanted to keep.

Endomondo was a close second!

What made you pick Runkeeper instead of Endomondo and the other apps you tried?
  • steelaxitute2127
    rsclause wrote: »
    I use Runtastic and like it. I think I move to the paid app but can't remember. I know it was cheap. Pros, it syncs to my MFP account and post my runs, tracks my miles on my shoes so I know when to replace. I never tried any others so I can't say its the best but it works for me.

Did you have to pay for the part where it tracked your miles ran on your shoes so you knew when to switch out shoes? I feel like I really need that because I've only had my shoes for a year and they're definitely being worn down.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I want the app to be able to track my runs better. I use my Fitbit app right now to log my workouts, but my Army recruiter wants me to get my two mile run time down to 16 minutes, so I want to be able to track my progression for it.

So, does that mean you want to track both time and distance? Most phone/GPS apps will do that. Pick which ever one you like the interface on better.

I personally use strava when I'm not using my garmin.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    I just answered this somewhere else so ill post my take here as well.

I have pretty much used all of the major running apps out the on ios over the last 6 years. The one that I have stuck with since 2015 is Nike Run Club. I mostly used it because you were able to set up running/walking challenges with friends over a certain period of time and it was fun to have some friendly competition to push you.

You also get rewards and achievements from meeting certain milestones and plus the app is a great way to keep up with your own run data and your friends. The ui is cool (it used to be a lot better before the major update near the end of 2016) and it has a lot of features that you would have to pay for monthly in the other apps for free( like guided runs and training programs).

That being said the alternatives are pretty great so there is no bad choice. I used to use Runtastic as my main app before i switched and there is nothing for me to complain about really except you have to pay for some features and my friends were not on there. Same for Strava and Runkeeper.

All those apps sync with and/or have apps for the Apple Watch which i use to monitor heartrate among other things.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    edited April 2018
    I use RunKeeper Pro (paid) and Nike+ Running Club. Yes, I use two. I can’t help myself.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    h1udd wrote: »
    it even has a nice, non chronological feed, so guesses what posts you should look at first just like facebook ...

Worst update this year. 4 months ago it was good, but not anymore :(