Activity level descriptions

Options
2»

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I get between 7500 and 10000 steps a day and I’d consider myself sedentary (for steps at least)

Where does that leave me? Lots of days I log 2000 steps.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Google fit logs 7500steps for me on average (daily living, grocery shopping, etc. No intentional exercise).
    I lose weight commensurate with MFP setting 'active'.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 2000 is totally sedentary.
    Agree with the people above who say that a desk job is sedentary, retail job may well be lightly active. You can change your overall setting by walking to work, but wearing a pedometer really revealed to me HOW sedentary your average office job is.
  • connorflewitt
    connorflewitt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exercise twice a day, but spend the rest of the day sitting down. I exercise for 20 minutes in the morning and do weights for an hour later on in the day ? anyone got any idea which one i would be ?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise twice a day, but spend the rest of the day sitting down. I exercise for 20 minutes in the morning and do weights for an hour later on in the day ? anyone got any idea which one i would be ?

@connorflewitt

If you read the entire thread you will see that your exercise is absolutely nothing to do with your activity setting.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM (I know this is often tricky for stay at home parents because we don't have a job description to base this off of). I get 10,000+ steps a day easily. My account is set to active and that works for me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have always told people 3500 steps is sedentary.
    That is the point that MFP starts adding extra cals for steps for me.

(I don't use a step tracker, or rely on steps, but my phone sends a count to MFP of how many steps I have taken while I have had it with me. It is usually a low count so I get the odd 20 if I carry it when shopping and around 4000 steps.)

Cheers, h.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Job examples aren’t always accurate. I’m a teacher and I’m nowhere near lightly active
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Based on step counts, I'm probably "lightly active." However, I have it set to sedentary and I eat back my "step calories" provided by MFP (I don't use fitbits step calories because I think they are inflated). I've only been at this for just over a month, so I'm not ready to reassess my process yet, but I think it's working well for me. I'm waiting to be 2 months in before I look at my data.
  • sammy_byrnes
    sammy_byrnes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work at an office and am sedentary for most of the day. That being said I live in the city and walk most places every day. I also workout for ~45 minutes+ a day and always hit about 10,000 steps a day. Can someone give some advice as to what I should make my activity level. Thanks!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I work at an office and am sedentary for most of the day. That being said I live in the city and walk most places every day. I also workout for ~45 minutes+ a day and always hit about 10,000 steps a day. Can someone give some advice as to what I should make my activity level. Thanks!!

Lightly active and log the intentional exercise separately. See what the results are after 6-8 weeks and adjust if needed.

This is assuming a good chunk of the 10K steps come from your exercise time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    bac0s wrote: »
    Sedentary is 2500 steps-ish, then goes up by 2500 steps each activity level (if using steps as an easy gauge).

Source?

My personal anecdotal experience suggests that this is correct. I average 7500 steps a day and my weight loss has corresponded to activity level 'active'

and yet I average also 7500 steps a day and my activity level is lightly active. Active would be more like 10k imo.
  • francesclairebd
    francesclairebd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a high school student who walks to school, usually i get 7000- 10k steps. What should my activity level be?