Best food to break an intermittent fast

Options
I am stepping up my game and trying out intermittent fasting, I am on day 4 and feeling great. This is my first time doing the fast and have been eating a Keto life style for about 3 months. my question for the people with more experience is what to eat first to break my fast ? after doing some research I have come up with being mindful of fats for my first meal because of insulin spike, But is health fats form say avocado not recommended for the first meal ?

Replies

• MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done IF in various form for years now and I always just eat whatever I feel like/have planned for my first meal of the day. Breakfast literally means 'break fast'.

What form of IF are you doing op?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Whatever tastes good and meets your goals
  • atmasters
    atmasters Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 16/8 fasting
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What ever your first meal normally is.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Insulin doesn't spike unless your blood sugar levels do. This is done by eating foods with simple sugars and not much else.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Insulin doesn't spike unless your blood sugar levels do. This is done by eating foods with simple sugars and not much else.

Actually protein is also insulinotropic as well.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Under normal conditions protein is not going to cause a large insulin response the same way simple sugar can.
  • SMorris1970
    SMorris1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also do the 16/8 and i found that high protein keeps me satisfied for a lot longer than carbs. I tried both to see for myself. One day i ate oatmeal and fruit and almond milk and the next day i ate two scrambled eggs with peppers, onions and cheese, two pieces of bacon and almond milk. The eggs breakfast kept me satisfied hours longer than the oatmeal one even though they were about the same amount of calories. Experiment and see what works best for you. When i first started i stressed so much about what to break my fast with because according to some on YouTube you can ruin your fast depending on what you eat. Poppycock. Theres really nothing magical about fasting, the reason it helps you lose so much is because it limits the amount of total calories you get in a day-thats it. So don’t stress out too much about it and just eat what works for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Under normal conditions protein is not going to cause a large insulin response the same way simple sugar can.

It would depend on the type of protein. But most people aren't eating goods in isolation. So when you mix carbs with proteins or fats, the "spike" is mitigated.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Which is why I said if you eat foods high in simple sugars and not much else. I know plenty of people that can eat sweets in isolation.
  • atmasters
    atmasters Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you all for the great advice :) I will be eating my favorite Egg muffins in the morning.