Help me pick my dinner out! Please!

Options
Liamsm0m
Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
We are headed to a family dinner tonight for a birthday celebration. It’s a family grill. I have 800+ calories left for today. I will be drinking water or unsweet tea with Splenda. The only two veggie sides they have are green beans and corn. **** I am just doing this to stay on track. If by chance I use more of my calories, ok... not the end of my world. But I won’t order my usual like a queso burger or chicken fried chicken which I normally would get!

Here is what I have narrowed down as my choices. I should add I hate vinaigrette dressing of any kind and oil/vingegar. The vinegar burns my throat too badly in both. I’m also pretty sure they make their green bean with pork/bacon. It’s the South. What can I say? Lol

- Fish tacos - with grilled fish with their dresssing on side, green beans as my side
- Grilled chicken salad, no croutons, cheese and dressing on side (I can eye a tablespoon of cheese and use it accordingly)
- Grilled chicken on rice
- grilled Cajun catfish with 2 sides - either green beans or red beans with rice
- Steak with green beans
- Smoked turkey salad - comes with cheese (see above) and a hard boiled egg - I’ll get dressing on side

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Whatever sounds most appealing. Enjoy yourself. Get back to logging tomorrow.
  • kewlioz27
    kewlioz27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd go for steak with green beans - high in protein, and assuming it's lean meat you will need to eat a lot of meat to get over 800 calories!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    We are headed to a family dinner tonight for a birthday celebration. It’s a family grill. I have 800+ calories left for today. I will be drinking water or unsweet tea with Splenda. The only two veggie sides they have are green beans and corn. **** I’m also pretty sure they make their green bean with pork/bacon. It’s the South. What can I say? Lol

- Fish tacos - with grilled fish with their dressing on side, green beans as my side
    - Grilled chicken salad, no croutons, cheese and dressing on side (I can eye a tablespoon of cheese and use it accordingly)
    - Grilled chicken on rice
    - grilled Cajun catfish with 2 sides - either green beans or red beans with rice
    - Steak with green beans
    - Smoked turkey salad - comes with cheese (see above) and a hard boiled egg - I’ll get dressing on side

Oh how I envy your yumptious Southern spread Liamsm0m. For me personally, I'd go with option 4 - Grilled Cajun catfish with red beans (or sweetcorn) with rice.

• Liamsm0m
    Options
    Thank you! It’s both a blessing and a curse!
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    Whatever sounds most appealing. Enjoy yourself. Get back to logging tomorrow.

I really appreciate that.
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    kewlioz27 wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd go for steak with green beans - high in protein, and assuming it's lean meat you will need to eat a lot of meat to get over 800 calories!

Thanks! We are having dessert there too. Someone is bringing cupcakes and I’ll have one.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    kewlioz27 wrote: »

Thanks! We are having dessert there too. Someone is bringing cupcakes and I’ll have one.

Yay! I was hoping you'll consider having dessert. Wishing you and your family a fabulous get-together.

• caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Steak and green beans or the grilled chicken salad would both be great options. I don't "do dessert" when I go out but if you feel like splurging cause it will make you feel better I'd think about sharing something or just having a couple spoonfuls. You know yourself best. For some people a few bites and they are like, this is overated, back to my diet. For others a splurge will be the beginning of a binge and make it very difficult to get back onboard. My feeling is there is always an excuse to go off a diet, look for an excuse to stay on yours, especially if you are just starting and trying to build discipline. I know thats not "fun" but it will pay off when in three months you've lost 15 pounds with some discipline instead of in three months you are still watching the same 5 pounds go up and down. Progress feels better than any dessert ever tasted.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Order whatever you want and enjoy yourself! It's one day in the life of many. Enjoy :)
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    caliallie2 wrote: »
    Steak and green beans or the grilled chicken salad would both be great options. I don't "do dessert" when I go out but if you feel like splurging cause it will make you feel better I'd think about sharing something or just having a couple spoonfuls. You know yourself best. For some people a few bites and they are like, this is overated, back to my diet. For others a splurge will be the beginning of a binge and make it very difficult to get back onboard. My feeling is there is always an excuse to go off a diet, look for an excuse to stay on yours, especially if you are just starting and trying to build discipline. I know thats not "fun" but it will pay off when in three months you've lost 15 pounds with some discipline instead of in three months you are still watching the same 5 pounds go up and down. Progress feels better than any dessert ever tasted.

Yes! This!!! I will likely split a cupcake with my husband and that is huge for me! Cupcakes are my favorite thing. But beyond that, I turned down buying my favorite ice cream last night because the calories were not worth the serving to me. I’m learning how to use food to nourish me and learning about my cravings, etc. So yes I could go buck wild but I don’t think it’s worth it this time. I will but that ice cream and eat a full cupcake again, but not today. Thank you.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Mmmm grilled Cajun catfish
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I’d pick the catfish too. Steak is good, but boring.
  • Liamsm0m
    Options
    I did the smoked turkey chef salad, no cheese or croutons. They smoke the turkey there... I thought that was cool. It was good. But the person brought a cake, not cupcakes like they said. I had two bites. It was too sweet for me personally. It’s called a crumble cake and it’s made differently than a traditional cake. It was a good night. But I did wake up feeling a bit bloated. I think it’s the salt. I’ve been watching my sodium. Kind of neat to see the effects, since I’m learning how food affects me.

Thanks everyone!