Wedding Dress Conundrum

Options

Replies

• jamr753
    jamr753 Posts: 51
    Options
    Don't order a dress smaller than you already are! I agree that you should shop around and wait as long as you can to get the dress but don't order a smaller size. Dresses are made to be taken in but letting them out is a whole different thing. Any good tailor can alter it to look prefect on you. Save yourself the stress of having to worry about if it is going to fit or not. I'm sure you will have no problems losing any weight that you want but you don't need the added stress of them trying to take out a dress. Good luck and Congrats!!!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Depends on the store you're planning on getting the dress from.

If you are going a la David's Bridal, those dresses are sold off the rack - only ordered if they don't have your size in store. Usually takes 4-6 weeks for the dress to come in, and then a few rounds of alterations.

If you are going a la Kleinfeld's, then yes, you need to go now. They will help guide you on the size dress to order, and have seamstresses to help make that decision.

Generally speaking, a dress can only be sized down 1-2 sizes before it starts to look werid. Also, most don't have loads of seam allowance to make it bigger if you order it too small, and don't reach your goal. I would suggest going shopping, and talking directly to the store where you find the dress. They can give you better insight, based specifically on the supplier for that dress.

(and yes, I used to be a bridal consultant, so I know what I'm talking about)

Finally - when you do go shopping, DON'T GET HUNG UP ON THE SIZE TOO MUCH!!! Wedding dresses nortoriously run small, and you'll usually end up in a dress 1-2 sizes bigger than your normal dress size.

Congratulations, and enjoy! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Talk to the consultants at the bridal salon. I'm sure they see this all the time.

My niece got a gown from David's Bridal. Ordered it when she was a size 12, and was a size 4 by her wedding! They ordered a new gown at no extra charge, since it was too much of a difference to alter.

I wouldn't advice ordering something too small, because we don't often know exactly HOW our bodies are going to lose weight. It's not always uniform, especially if we're exercising, our proportions change. I know my silhouette is vastly different than they were last time I was this weight. I was always pear shaped, now I'm more balanced.
  • roxyjo1
    roxyjo1 Posts: 29
    Options
    Have you considered a lace up back instead of zipper or buttons? They are more forgiving (as in adjustable), and you can really tighten it up to reallly fit your body.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I honestly would not buy a dress that is smaller than what you are now. You are going to become stressed out as the wedding approaches and even though you're on track now, you don't need the added stress of worrying whether or not you'll make your goal weight by May.

I just got married in April this year. I bought my dress at a sale back in July of 2010. It was a size 14. It was tight on me when I bought it. I lost about 20 lbs between then and the wedding. I went in for my first fitting in January. Then, I had a fitting two weeks before the wedding. I reached my goal weight in time, and it helped that I knew the dress could be taken in.

Even then, as soon as I brought that dress home... even though it was only 1 week before the wedding... that last week, I thought I was gaining weight every day. Every morning I woke up thinking, "I'm not going to fit into this dress". You want to give yourself less to worry about. Not more. If you start with a dress that doesn't fit, you're going to be incredibly stressed and obsessed over your weight and it's going to make it harder, not easier to lose.

And a dress can be taken in much more easily than it can be let out. So shop around. Find something that fits you now, but ask about alterations. Find out how easily that style can be altered. If it's simple to do, don't worry. Buy it and get it taken in closer to the day. :)

Good luck!
  • whitrow
    whitrow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought mine one month before the wedding. I had one initial fitting, one set of alternations, one last check (where they would have adjusted things if need be) and that was it! Fit like a charm.

If you have a "dream dress" in mind, I'd shop earlier... maybe starting at 6 months. But, if your options are open as far as style, I wouldn't feel pressured to commit yourself to anything you're not sure about. Wedding dresses (in general) can't be returned, even if they're new and un-worn. You should see the number of brides who commit too early and end up having TWO dresses, when they find a better fit later on. Many of them sell their 1st-buy unused gowns on RecycledBride.com, if you're interested. It's a great way to find interesting and cheap alternatives (as well as wedding favors, gift bags, chair-covers, etc).

Good luck to you! :-)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I bought a dress 9 days before my wedding.

You can make it work somehow ;)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    you don't need to go 9mos ahead. spend some time figuring out what kind of dress you want, but don't shop yet.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a size 16, getting married in June 2012. I have began dress shopping so that I know what style and cuts look good on me, what I'm really looking for in a dress, etc. I think I've found *the* dress at this point, but there is no way I'm going to know what size I'll be when it comes time to get the dress altered. If you get a smaller size and you don't lose the weight, you will not be able to alter it to a larger size. If you get the dress too big it will cost as much as a new dress (in some cases!) to alter it smaller.

I've been working with one salon in particular (you will find one that fits your speed, vibe, and budget), who has advised with me about the absolute latest date I can order the dress, and the drop-dead date for starting alterations. Basically I will have to order my dress in March, it will arrive in April, and I will have alterations done then. No matter what size I am, I will have to go in to maintenance mode from April to June for the dress to fit properly. (which means I have from now until March, April 1 at the VERY latest to get as close to goal as possible!!).

I really do think it's important to get a feel for the dresses that suit your personality best now, and make necessary adjustments as you go along. I will also be doing fittings every six weeks or so of the sample dress that is "THE" dress so that if I get to a much smaller size, and I really start to feel this dress isn't the right one, I'll have time to refocus.
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    My thoughts were-- what if something crazy happens - like getting in a car accident and breaking your leg and now you can't workout.
    Ooooh, good point. This happened to me maybe a week and a half into my big 'lifestyle change'. I fell while hiking and severely injured my knee and had to lay around and watch my fiance lose weight while I couldn't work out.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    oh, and start posing pictures for everyone to critique and what-not. perhaps not a good idea for you, but absolutely fun for us :)
  • infamousmk
    Options
    you don't need to go 9mos ahead. spend some time figuring out what kind of dress you want, but don't shop yet.

I found that the styles of dresses I was looking at online looked AWFUL on me, so going in and trying on different cuts of dresses really helped me find a dress that fits my personality and the general shape of my body. (I will always have a super tiny waist compared to my hips, and I was trying on dresses that did not flatter that at all.) So, it wouldn't benefit anyone to buy a dress nine months ahead during major weight loss, but dress shopping is actually really important this early on, IMO.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Well, many places it takes a long while for the dress to get to the shop. If you get a size smaller then you can have it altered a bit when it gets too big. If it has alot of decoration (beading, embroidery) near the areas that will have to be changed then it might be more expensive/may look totally different, so keep that in mind.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Isn't this why they invented velcro?
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that wedding dresses are sized much larger than your regular clothing.

I was wearing a 10 in everyday clothes when I got married 2 years ago, but my wedding dress was a size 16!!! Don't let the wedding dress sizing shock you!

I ordered mine about 4 months before my wedding.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    We had an outdoor wedding: I bought an off the rack dress I still love (and could wear) about two weeks before the wedding. I can't imagine starting to think about clothing for one day nine months in advance. (But, to be fair, I didn't buy baby clothes until about a week before the twins were born, either.)
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had several fittings and each time I had lost weight! They just kept adjusting!
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Keep in mind that wedding dresses are sized much larger than your regular clothing.

I was wearing a 10 in everyday clothes when I got married 2 years ago, but my wedding dress was a size 16!!! Don't let the wedding dress sizing shock you!

I ordered mine about 4 months before my wedding.

Oh yes! This too! I've been fitting best in to size 20 dresses. I'm thisclose to getting back in to all of my 14s, so this is just annoying while dress shopping.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I already have my wedding dress and I have to admit, it's probably better to WAIT! go ahead and have fun trying them on, and when you find something you love, ask the store to let you know if it's being discontinued, how long it would take to order it, and then go back in about 2-3 months.

OR

Do what I did - I tried mine on IN THE SIZE I ORDERED IT. It didn't quite zip or lace up quite the way I wanted it too, but I knew I planned on losing weight, so I ordered my dress in that size. I'm very close to the exact measurements for it now. However, my wedding isn't until 10/12! (originally it was 11/11, but my guy is in the military, so we ended up having to postpone it - but it gave us a MUCH bigger budget, so I'm REALLY looking foward to our DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM WEDDING next year!)
    So I'll PROBABLY lose more between now and then. I picked a style that is very versatile. With the lace up back, I can tighten or loosen it a few inches without needing to pay for expensive alterations. I'm aiming for that beautiful V shape, so I know I have plenty of freedom to lose weight - but NOT gain. So far, it's worked! I've had my dress since April.

Had I known we were going to have to post pone things, I might have waited, but it was a fun experience!

PS - I've found Alfred Angelo was a PERFECT fit for me! The sizes are VERY similiar to street sizings (I wear a 14 top, 16 bottoms, and the 16 was VERY close to fitting very well.) If you end up checking it out - tell them Jaime Darling from vista, CA sent ya!
  • pinkgato02
    pinkgato02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I was getting married I was a size 14 dress! I was disapointed in being in that size. I weighed 173 lbs. I ended up buying a size 8 dress and worked my butt off to fit into it! I ended up going down to 147 lbs the time we got married and my dress fit a little lose that i had to get it fixed and it was 9 months before our wedding. I had a corset top and i ended up having the zipper taken off and put lace through it. 2 months before the wedding I triend on the dress and the lace was not needed anymore I ended up having the sipper put back on :) getting a smaller dress made me more determained to lose weight and i did it the right way too no cheating just good healthy eating and cardio. Good luck

cAT:)