Insanity Workout & Protein/Carb Recovery Powder

Options
I am about to start the Insanity workout within the next week or so and I know Shaun T recommends having a recovery drink after the workout. I was curious what people are using as I would rather go to Vitamin Shoppe or something local to get a recovery powder. I actually started doing Insanity with my husband about a month ago and only got through one week before things got crazy and we were using the Nutrabolics Fighters Food (Acai Berry), but I wasn't sure if this is what we really needed or if there was something better that we should be using. I want to lose weight and my husband wants to gain weight, or I should say he wants to bulk up. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Bump....I'm also curious what to use.
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Any protein powder/shake should be fine, just be mindful of the ingredient quality. Personally I drink Syntrax Matrix protein after my Insanity workouts (2 more weeks of Max workouts!). If you will consume carbs with your protein make sure they are low-glycemic. Lots of choices in the Vitamin Shoppe, GNC etc, to try out. Good luck!
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    I think that a good protein powder is your best option. Recovery drinks are just another marketing tool.

Here is a link that has some information. Good luck.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/465827-recovery-drink-vs-protein-shake/
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I just have a protein shake (Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard - 22 grams of protein, only 2-3 grams of carbohydrates, 1.5 grams of fat) mixed with skim milk for carbs. $17 via Amazon.com's Subscribe & Save program for 2lbs.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need a specific recovery formula after your workouts, but It is better to eat and drink immediately after exercise, especially after prolonged or high-intensity workouts, like Insanity. I try and take in at least 20 grams of protein within 30 minutes after my workout. . You can easily get this with a scoop of whey protein powder and almond or skim milk. Good luck!
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    check out Scivation Xtend its amazing I love the watermelon flavor its everything the BB results and recovery is plus more only NO SUGAR OR CARBS!!! its pretty amazing stuff

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/sv.htm?mcid=CG-MsclBldProd&esvcid=S1313092893_ADOGOE_AGI166_CRE7396902322_TID2244_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20=

Did I mention its cheaper too? With the BB results and recovery you are paying for the name... Im a coach so yes I do promote BB but not when its not beneficial to your health for the cost and ingredients check it out and ask me if you have any questions
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    A protein drink is not a recovery drink because protein mainly builds your muscles and not fuels them. You need to have a recovery drink immediately after the Insanity workout because the relentless intensity of Insanity will drain almost all your glycogen from your muscles. Beachbody sells a great results/recovery drink but I use Endurox R4. Just make sure whatever you choose as a recovery drink the carb to protein ratio is 4:1. Endurox has 52 g of carbs and 13 g of protein. On my P90X lifting days I have a protein shake but on my Insanity days I have a recovery drink.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started the Insanity workout this week. A recovery drink is a MUST!! Lol. I use a brand called EAS. The one I have now is vanilla soy protien powder mix. Mixing it with milk it isn't that great but it is wonderful to add to smoothies with Silk Almond milk and fruit. it is high it carbs so you can get your energy back and high in protien so your muscles can heal faster. It also helps cleanse your body of lactic acid (which makes your muscles sore the next day). No, I don't work for this company, lol. I just really love this product! (=