Protein Powders

Options
agleckle
agleckle Posts: 235 Member
Currently, I have Apex Fit Supreme Cookies 'n Cream... but I bought that when I was only watching calories. Now I am keeping my carbs at about 100g or less a day... the 20g per serving from the powder plus the 12g I get from adding it to 1 cup of skim milk equals 32g, which is quite a hit when I am trying to stay at 100g total for the day.

So, I am now shopping around for something else. Ideally I would like something that is lower carb/sugar and still tastes decent. Any suggestions?

Replies

• calialexandra
    Options
    I buy this kind in vanilla (and have tried chocolate) - it's lean and both are tastalicious. http://www.whey-factory.com/Whey-Protein-Isolate--2lb_p_100.html
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Due to me being on a budget, I have been getting the 100% pure protein, whey protein from Target which is only $17.00. I either get the frosty chocolate or vanilla!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I do a pre-made shake - Premier Protein, only 5 cabs, 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.

Other powders that many like are Jay Robb and Pure Protein, I am sure you can find all the info for them online.

Another choice is to add powder to Cereal, Oatmeal or Greek Yogurt.

You can do it!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    expensive but good = jay robb.
    cheap, and good, and 2 more carbs, = Optimum nutrition.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I agree I like Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream and I mix with PB2 and Almond milk (less carbs).
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The powder I use only has 5g of carbs per scoop - Twinlab 100% Whey Protien.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I use Scivation Whey; you have to order it online from AllStarHealth.com or Bodybuilding.com... 10lb box is the best value.
    I also switched from non fat milk to unsweetened almond milk; less sugar and more calcium!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Plus, you can only get it at Sams Club, 3 carbs maybe not sure. I woudl also suggest Almond milk instead of reg milk or coconut milk. The vanilla kind I get has 9 carbs and 90 cals but is soooooo good.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i order the Swanson brand (vanilla) from Swansonvitimans.com. 90 cals/1 gram carb. I doesn't have much flavor, but the cals and carbs are low and the price is more reasonable than a lot out there on the market.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you! There are alot of wonderful suggestions here!
  • pjweishaar
    Options
    Well, I just joined myfitnesspal and I need all the motivation I can get. I retired in 2007 and since that time have gained 50#. I have had 3 surgeries on my left knee - some days I have a hard time walking. I need to swim but I don't like being in public with my weight gain. I have lossed 5 pounds but there are days I Iike to cheat....go figure. I have tried protein drinks in the past but most of them have that powdery / pasty taste. Based on the suggestions in this thread...I will check into a few drinks and see what happens.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Protein - 100% Whey Protein - Double Chocolate
    Mix with 1 cup of Light Chocolate Soy Milk and 1/2 or a whole banana (so good!!)

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size 1 SCOOP
    Servings Per Container 40

Amount Per Serving, % DailyValue

Calories 100
    Calories From Fat 20
    Total Fat 2 Gm
    Saturated Fat 1 Gm
    Cholesterol 60 Mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3 Gm
    Dietary Fiber 0.5 Gm
    Sugars 2 Gm
    Protein 18 Gm

Thiamin (As Thaimin Monoitrate) 1.45 Mg *
    Riboflavin 1.72 Mg *
    Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine) 1.75 Mg 88%
    Vitamin B12 (As Cyanocobalamin) 2.38 Mcg
    Pantothenic Acid (As Ca Pantothenate) 7.5 Mg 75%
    CALCIUM (FROM WHEY) 230 Mg
    PHOSPHORUS (FROM WHEY CALCIUM) 154 Mg
    Magnesium (As Mg Aspartate, Oxide) 100 Mg 25%
    Zinc (AS ZN ASPARTATE) e, Aspartate) 5 Mg 33%
    Sodium 70 Mg 4%
    Potassium 150 Mg 4%
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Chocolate + Unsweetened Almond Milk = delicious.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I drink Monster Milk, but if you're looking for low carb, then I'd go with Optimum's 100% Whey.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I drink Monster Milk, but if you're looking for low carb, then I'd go with Optimum's 100% Whey.

Agree. For the low carb count plus the price and taste, ON 100% Whey is very good.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Agree. For the low carb count plus the price and taste, ON 100% Whey is very good.

It must be good because when I went to the GNC store they were sold out. I will probably try this next time but the Designer Whey is good!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

It must be good because when I went to the GNC store they were sold out. I will probably try this next time but the Designer Whey is good!

If you aren't opposed to online ordering, you'll save alot of money. GNC is overpriced horribly. Also even though the shipping says 3-5 days for standard, you'll most likely have your product the next day.
  • imcountingcalories
    imcountingcalories Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I buy the 100% whey /Muscle Milk/ brand from Costco. 140 cal per scoop. Total fat 2g / carb 3g / Sugar 1 g / Protein 27 g.
    Chocolate and Vanilla, both are good!
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Options
    I use the Gladiator Protein Powder from Smoothie King. : I like the Chocolate..and add choc soy milk with frozen fruit.

Nutrition Facts
    Smoothie King - Gladiator-Protein Powder-Vanilla/chocolate/strawberry
    Servings: 2 scoops 1 scoops 1 container (60 scoops ea.)
    Calories 180 Sodium 150 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 360 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 45 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 25% Calcium 25%
    Vitamin C 440% Iron 0%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    NOW sports whey isolate