Using sun dried tomatoes

acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
The last time we were on holiday in Sicily, I bought several bags of sun dried tomatoes as a souvenir. How would you use these up? We have one wet jar with chopped tomatoes in olive oil and several dry bags.

Initial thoughts are tossing some into the bread machine or guzzying up spaghetti aglio olio or similar very basic pasta recipes.

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited April 2018
    * Sun dried tomato pesto.
    * Reconstitute. Use it as a stuffing in a steak roll with spinach, cheese of choice et al.
    * Sun dried tomatoes jam.
    * Sun dried tomatoes bacon jam.
    * Reconstitute. Add your herbacious choices for lasagna
    * Reconstitute. Make up a rustic pasta sauce
    * Feta and sun dried tomatoes pastries
    * Sun dried tomatoes and Red Pepper Jelly

**My sister has just reminded me breads and rolled into piadinas .... Sun dried tomato breads. On its own. Mixed with olives. Onions. You could also dice it up and add it to your fresh pasta dry ingredients.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Throw them into anything you sauté, into scrambled eggs; reconstitute with a little balsamic vinegar and use in salads or on sandwiches/casseroles/pizza; put in soups, stews, sauces; puree with broth and use as a pasta or veggie or salad sauce/dressing.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    www.canadianliving.com/food/recipe/sun-dried-tomato-pesto-1
    A small amount goes a long way on pasta; you can sub blanched almonds or cashews for the pine nuts.
    Also...divide it and freeze (that's what I do).
    Your spaghetti idea...slivered sounds mighty tasty :)