Running Shoes

Options
I would like to purchase a pair of running shoes but have no idea what brand to get or what's best. Can any of you recommend a good pair of running shoe especially made for overpronation (flat feet) . Thx.

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    go to a running shoe store and get fitted properly...itll save you from injury in the future
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you and your feet. Go to a running store and get fitted. I'm sure that's the advice you are going to get from the majority of people here as well.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You should go get fitted at a running store. The brand that works for one person may not work for you.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about for the flat feet, and running. I do alot of walking, and have cheap Kmart ones, like the reebok balance ball ones, and love them. They help me work on my posture to stand straight up, without slouching.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Go to a Running store. Have them check your gait. They will make the right recommendation.
  • Aczjohnson
    Aczjohnson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Your safest (and smartest) bet is to go to a RUNNING sports store and have them assess your feet, pronation, etc. Otherwise, you could end up with a pair not made for your running style and feet = probable injury (this advice is coming from experience and 2 injuries due to shoes!). Fleet Feet is a chain and is a good choice. Google 'running shoe store' and your city and you should get an idea of what's around you.

Good luck!!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    go to a running shoe store and get fitted properly...itll save you from injury in the future

What she said... and what anyone who runs will say.

Expect to pay between $100-$150 for a good pair of shoes that fit your feet... And no, a sporting goods store does not count. Go to a store that exudes running the second you walk in. The dude who is helping you ran 12 miles that morning and plans on running another 6 when he gets off work. He knows running... and he knows how to answer your questions and fit what is right for you! :) Good luck.
  • Devol
    Devol Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make sure its a dedicated running store and not just a general sports store. I have used ASICS for years now, a little bit expensive but worth every penny :-)
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options

Expect to pay between $100-$150 for a good pair of shoes that fit your feet... And no, a sporting goods store does not count. Go to a store that exudes running the second you walk in. The dude who is helping you ran 12 miles that morning and plans on running another 6 when he gets off work. He knows running... and he knows how to answer your questions and fit what is right for you! :) Good luck.

Oh... and buy good socks. No cotton stuff... The running dude should be able to help you with that as well.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options

Oh... and buy good socks. No cotton stuff... The running dude should be able to help you with that as well.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I'm not sure about for the flat feet, and running. I do alot of walking, and have cheap Kmart ones, like the reebok balance ball ones, and love them. They help me work on my posture to stand straight up, without slouching.

This is not the best advice... running is different from walking.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I got fitted at a running store, and I have always found ASICS to be the best for my flat feet and moderate overpronation.

I just bought asics GT2160's (stability shoe) to replace Kahana 3's (trail shoe)

Saucony and Asics seem to be the go to brands when you have foot problems.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My foot doctor said that Asics are probably the best shoes you can have. I broke my foot and needed more support. I finally (a year later) broke down and dropped $150 on a pair. I am training for a half marathon and they are great....
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    As most everyone said go to running store. They will guide you to an area/type of shoe you should focus on.

Try them on. Some are more narrow, some are wider, some have different soles/cushioning inside. After trying them on, I found I preferred some on my foot while standing there, but when I ran it was a different story. Yes, I was running a few yards in a few different pairs until I found "the one" which the sales lady didn't expect me to go with upon seeing me at first glance

There's no way to recommend what shoe is best for you until you go to a running store to get some advice - and see which shoe fits.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Wow no one here mentioned it, but go to an actual running store and get fitted. Skip the Foot Locker type of places.
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    Ok mfp pals thx for all the advice. I will look and see if there is a such store in my area.