Do I have to use almond milk?

Options
A lot recipes call for Almond milk...I don’t like :) can I substitute with regular milk?
Why use almond milk instead of regular milk...besides the dairy? Is it better for macro living?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you don't like almond milk then you don't have to drink it. Either sub for milk of your choice or find a different recipe. As to why those recipes use it, you'd have to ask them. Some people use it because they like it better or they're lactose intolerant or they're vegan or they don't like dairy for a dozen different reasons. Pick what you like.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Use whatever milk you want - or another product. You're the one ingesting it, so you might as well enjoy the taste.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Know that regular milk has more calories than almond milk. If you are tracking calories in recipes, make sure to adjust them for the swap.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    A lot of what sort of recipes OP?

I don't think I've ever made a recipe that called for almond milk - but if you are getting recipes from a vegan website or suchlike, then I guess they would for obvious reason.
    But just experiment with using dairy or whatever milk you do have instead.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I always use regular milk when a recipe calls for almond milk. I don’t like almond milk so I don’t buy it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has more calcium. Regular milk has more protein. I’d swap for regular milk just like you.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk has a lot less calories (40 for 8 oz vs around 120 for reduced fat milk) than regular milk, there's also people who just can't have cow milk for various reasons. I personally only use almond milk and substitute almond milk for regular milk in recipes, so I see no reason you can't do the opposite.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is difficult to find recipes using cow milk.
    What kind of recipes are you looking at? Smoothies? Baked goods? Are you following a specific diet plan?

If it is a smoothie I think you can just use the liquid of your choice just log it with what you actually used. If it is sometying else what you use might need to alter amounts used or adjust cooking times a little if you change the liquid.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Try it and see. Obviously subbing almond milk for dairy (or even for soy) will increase the calories, but I would imagine it would be fine in most recipes. The taste will change somewhat (just like it changes when you sub dairy for almond), but you won't know until you try.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of "recipes" per say, but I recently got hooked on Almond Milk (Vanilla). I love using it as my coffee creamer, and a dab of it in my steel-cut oats. I keep some skim milk on hand to have with things that dairy milk just tastes better with, to me. I had to back way off regular milk because it seemed to be making some allergy symptoms worse. I don't really know, but I sure miss cheese.

Well there's a bit of un-necessary information, LOL!! And doubt I helped the OP at all!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a recipe call for almond milk. But I've only looked at about 3 recipes in my life time.
  • JenAnn905
    JenAnn905 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I was looking on macros-based sites for recipes..smoothies and such and just saw almond milk quite a bit (and chia seeds!!). I’ll stick to skim and 2% for now and try the non-dairy options again soon :)