Exercising with chronic illness

Options
I have been sick on and off for about 3 months now. Doctors are still working on figuring out what is wrong with me, but suspect some sort of autoimmune disorder. It causes extreme exhaustion and various pain, which means I can't exercise when I'm having a bad day (or bad month...). They do recommend exercise whenever possible. So I guess my question is, what is the best type of exercise for someone who may have to stop exercising for days, weeks or possibly even months at a time? I have been lifting weights for the past 2 years, but I don't know if that is something I could continue if I have to take long/frequent breaks. This is something that for me has recurred several times over the past few years, so it does look like something I'll be dealing with long term. I'm thinking of maybe focusing more on light cardio like walking, but I don't want to stop lifting. Every time I take a break from lifting, though, I have to take several steps back when I start again. Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you a having to deal with whatever is going on in your body. Sounds frustrating. I don't know about strength training exercises, but I wonder if swimming or water aerobics would be easier on you?
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you a having to deal with whatever is going on in your body. Sounds frustrating. I don't know about strength training exercises, but I wonder if swimming or water aerobics would be easier on you?

It might be.....I'll have to look into it. I don't have a gym membership right now, but I may have to get one!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So sorry this is happening to you! I have lupus which sometimes gets bad enough to make me bedridden, and my experience is that the more you do, the more you can do, and the less you do, the worse it gets. Keep lifting as much as you can! If you have to drop down, do it, do bodyweight if you have to. Just do the best you can.

I second the recommendation for swimming. Having that sensation of weightlessness is so nice when you're in pain.

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pilates