Starvation Mode

Options
Can somebody PLEASE explain to me what this is? All of the bells and whistles, because I really don't understand...

Replies

• MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're best off googling it and coming to your own conclusions cos the definition can vary depending on where you look/who you talk to. I err on the sceptical side to be honest.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You're best off googling it and coming to your own conclusions cos the definition can vary depending on where you look/who you talk to. I err on the sceptical side to be honest.

Problem is, if she googles it ..she'll end up getting so many different definitions and blogs saying it's a myth or not a myth, etc.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    try searching the older posts for "starvation mode" or "exercise calories"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Problem is, if she googles it ..she'll end up getting so many different definitions and blogs saying it's a myth or not a myth, etc.

True, but I got sooo tired of hearing 'eat less than 1200 cals and you'll go into starvation mode and gain weight' that I decided to do my own research and have my own opinion of it. Be it right or be it wrong.....at least it's mine and not someone else's :)
  • jlg05001
    jlg05001 Posts: 21
    Options
    OK, looked at older posts, I think I generally understand the concept. So now, I'm just wondering how the heck it is possible for someone flabby like me who is 30 lbs overweight (BMI= 27.8, BMR=1,470) to possibly ever be in starvation mode. I guess I am worried that I have messed up my body so badly by trying to eat less than 1200 calories for over 3 months that if I now start trying to eat closer to those 1200 calories that I am going to gain back the 15 lbs I have already lost....
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Let's stick to a simple definition: starvation mode is when your body doesn't get enough calories consistently enough and for long enough that it thinks "food must be really scarce, I'd better start conserving the fat stores I have on hand now". So simply put, it's when YOUR body thinks it's not getting enough food and has a metabolic reaction to conserve. As far as *when* this happens for you personally, that is where all the debate comes into play. The thing to keep in mind is that before you go into starvation mode, you will lose quickly. And once you go into starvation mode, the loss suddenly stops. Then when you increase your intake to try to fix it, you will GAIN temporarily, as your body is now getting more food but still is in "conservation mode". Once your body figures out "oh, I'm getting enough to eat now, I can let go of the extra", you will start to lose again. This is why it is something to be avoided....you may lose quite a bit at first, but then you'll stop and actually gain before you body hits equilibrium again.

Moral of the story: don't try to lose too fast but cutting back too much. It's why you always hear "it's bad to lose too much, too fast".

Edit, since you posted again:
    "I guess I am worried that I have messed up my body so badly by trying to eat less than 1200 calories for over 3 months that if I now start trying to eat closer to those 1200 calories that I am going to gain back the 15 lbs I have already lost...."

Yes, if you have been eating too little and found that you stopped losing, you may very well gain some (shouldn't be all 15 lbs though) back before you lose again. The problem is there is no other way to fix what you've done to your body except to give in and eat more. And yes, generally most people shouldn't net less than 1200, although people can find that the number is lower or higher for them personally. But if you're already eating less than 1200 and not losing, going lower and lower will never solve it for you. Your body will need several weeks to adjust to the increase and relax and start to lose again.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This post really explained it for me, but 700 isn't the magic number. It can be as high as 1200 or 1300.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • suse56
    suse56 Posts: 30
    Options
    Simply- It is a myth!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    OK, looked at older posts, I think I generally understand the concept. So now, I'm just wondering how the heck it is possible for someone flabby like me who is 30 lbs overweight (BMI= 27.8, BMR=1,470) to possibly ever be in starvation mode. I guess I am worried that I have messed up my body so badly by trying to eat less than 1200 calories for over 3 months that if I now start trying to eat closer to those 1200 calories that I am going to gain back the 15 lbs I have already lost....

You might see an initial gain over the first couple weeks, but you're body will adjust. Most people who have been on very calorie restricted diets who up their calories a little find that it gets the off a plateau.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I've read a lot about starvation mode and the different view points of it. Real starvation mode is when you starve until you have very little fat on your body - your body will then switch to burning muscle tissue as the fat is needed to keep the body warm.

The starvation mode that dieters talk about is not this. Its basically when you cut calories your metabolism slows up to 40%. In weight loss terms its not actually that much. According to one website I looked at, if you lose 2 lbs a week on 1000 cals if you drop to 500 cal you should lose 3lbs a week but instead you lose 2.5 due to starvation mode. OR something to that effect. There have been various studies claiming that the metabolism recovers after dieting and some that claim it doesn't.

I have wondered why some obese people who cut calories lose muscle tissue, including heart muscle instead of their fat stores, but I think this is to do with insulin resistance and other problems where fat is not released properly for energy due to high insulin levels.

I have seen a lot of contradicting studies and some believe starvation mode is bad and some don't. I'm not really sure which side of the fence I'm on, but I know that unfortunately I have to remain pretty low calorie to lose weight consistantly. I think that is probably genetic.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has had the dreaded Starvation Mode, and got through it, i can say it is very real.

Your body doesnt think "Ive got lots of fat here, so ill start burning some of it", it just knows that when calorie intake is very low, it simply doesnt burn fat, certainly nowhere near as much as it would if you getting the right number of calories. But, our natural reaction to seeing our weight lose slow or stop is "I must burn more calories, or eat even less", which, in turn, exacerbates the situation, rather than helping it. It's so weird being told to eat more to lose weight, but it works...well, at least that was what worked for me :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its a myth

do your own research..and not just from whatever google pops up..find REAL scientific articles and sites..from universities.i did and found out it doesnt exist as people on here swear by.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    its a myth

do your own research..and not just from whatever google pops up..find REAL scientific articles and sites..from universities.i did and found out it doesnt exist as people on here swear by.

If it's a myth, why did i lose 0 lbs in three weeks on 1200 calories, then when i upped it to 1700 i started losing again?