Anyone with Lyme Disease?

Options
I'm looking for advice on how to build muscle when struggling with chronic Lyme. I was jw of anyone can relate?

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are dealing with this. Hubby has it. He just is as active as he can be on good days and rests as needed. He hasn't really modified workouts because of it.

Have you checked in with your doc about this?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My wife doesn't have lyme but she does have form of dysautonomia called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). She struggles with lethargy quite often. When she was able to workout, the path we took was try on the days she felt good or even start a workout to see if she could get through it. On days she couldn't, we just didn't workout.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I did a few months of antibiotics treatment for chronic Lyme about 2 years ago. Didn't seem to respond to the treatment (other than getting nauseous from the meds) so my doctor decided not to pursue it any further.
    I've not had much difficulty building muscle/strength, however I pretty much only struggle with chronic fatigue and more recently joint pain, and can usually work through it. I just take it easy when I'm sick or feeling really run down.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, I don't have Lyme but I do have Post Viral Fatigue for the second time. I had the first bout for 10 years and it went in 2016, after lots of viruses and a gallbladder op last year I have it again.

I manage to work 3 days a week and weightlifting 4 days, not sure how....sheer willpower and remembering how I felt lying on a couch day in day out all those years ago.

I sleep...a lot! 2 hours after post gym meals on lifting days to allow me to get on with the rest of the evening. I go to the gym around 12pm midday after a good lie in, having had 10 hours in the night.

I don't miss meals, I'm bulking right now and my body seems to like those excess calories.

Cardio isn't my friend as many chest infections have left a weakness there. I'll do a bit of rowing twice a week on upper body day and that's it.

On lifting days I do what I can. I get frustrated with having to go back to previous weight increments as hypertrophy is all about increases, but there are days where static lunging 30kg feels like a ton. I get weepy I have to admit.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Same as building muscle for anybody. You're going to need the appropriate stress to your muscles, be able to disrupt homeostasis, and adapt under proper programming while eating enough protien, leucine, and calories.

Pain is no fun. I deal with it 24/7 and it literally took me a hour to walk this morning because of pain and swelling, but it can be done. Might help to find a trainer that has alot of barbell experience as well with clients who have excessive pain issues.