Weighted Hip Thrusts w/o Barbell

Options
OrdinaryAnytime
OrdinaryAnytime Posts: 15 Member
My office's gym doesn't have a barbell-- dumbbells only. Works out alright for me most of the time, except for my weighted hip thrusts. My frame is too small to balance more than one dumbbell on my hips at a time, and thrusting 50 pounds is getting too easy... My booty wants more! Is it possible? Help me!!!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You can add more reps or sets. You can use resistance bands.. when those get too easy, double up or use a fabric Hip Circle. Incorporate single leg work, try 1.5 reps, isoholds, etc.
  • OrdinaryAnytime
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You can add more reps or sets. You can use resistance bands.. when those get too easy, double up or use a fabric Hip Circle. Incorporate single leg work, try 1.5 reps, isoholds, etc.

Do the resistance bands just go around my knees or is there something fancier to try here?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Do the resistance bands just go around my knees or is there something fancier to try here?

I usually put it above close to my knees but you can try below too. I also secure a heavy long band on either side and get under so it drapes along my pelvis.. but you may need a rack or two heavy dumbbells or something to hold them down. It is a pain to set up but I find that very effective
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Does your gym have a Smith Machine? You can also do them on there. Just need a bench and may have to add a foot step to get the range of motion right.
  • OrdinaryAnytime
    Options
    Does your gym have a Smith Machine? You can also do them on there. Just need a bench and may have to add a foot step to get the range of motion right.

No such luck on the Smith, but I'm looking forward to trying this resistance band thing today! On a related note, do you have your own resistance bands or do you just use the equipment available to you? There's only two available in my gym-- was thinking about getting a set of my own to bring with me. Do you have a brand you recommend?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I have a home gym so I have my own bands. I would probably purchase your own, they are pretty inexpensive, then you have them whenever you need.
    I use the Sling Shot hip circle (big fabric one), I also have the NeebooFit Mini bands. They are pretty good, I like how they come in all different thicknesses, so far they have held up!

Other good brands I've heard about: Rogue, Perform Better, WODFitness, and The X Bands
  • dchavarin1
    dchavarin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen people do them on the leg extensions. You should look it up
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    You could also use tempo. 4secs down 1sec up 2secs hold up top. Repeat for 8-12 reps 4 sets.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You could also use tempo. 4secs down 1sec up 2secs hold up top. Repeat for 8-12 reps 4 sets.

Tempos are a excellent option to produce greater stress to the muscles when intensity is governed.