Restarting

Options
psb04
psb04 Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2018 in Getting Started
Any suggestions how to restart your body for new weight loss goal. Don’t seem to be losing any weight and staying to my max 1200 cals a day, always working out 3 times at least a week.
TIA

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism never stopped, so it doesn't need to be restarted.

How long have you been on 1,200 calories a day? What do you mean by you don't "seem" to be losing weight?

If you open your diary, we may be able to help you troubleshoot.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    psb04 wrote: »
    Any suggestions how to restart your body for new weight loss goal. Don’t seem to be losing any weight and staying to my max 1200 cals a day, always working out 3 times at least a week.
    TIA

You can't really "restart" your metabolism but you can increase it by doing a reverse diet. Start by adding 50 calories a week. You won't lose any weight most likely but after a few months of it, you'll be maintaining at a higher calorie intake so you won't have to cut calories so low to lose weight.
  • psb04
    Options
    About 2 months- already lost over 2.5 stone through healthy eating and gyming over the last year and a bit- just keep getting to a certain weight and that’s it. Alright didn’t realise was private. Thanks
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psb04 wrote: »
    About 2 months- already lost over 2.5 stone through healthy eating and gyming over the last year and a bit- just keep getting to a certain weight and that’s it. Alright didn’t realise was private. Thanks

I don't see any entries since the 19th and there was only 300ish calories that day. Are you logging somewhere else?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1200 is recommended MINIMUM calories for avg sedentary woman to lose weight.

You sedentary?

You want to be average?

You want minimum results?

How close to goal weight are you now after weight loss?

How big currently is your weight loss goal set to weekly?

What and how long is the 3 x weekly exercise?
    Big difference between 15 min dog walk, and 1.5 hrs hard running on treadmill.
  • psb04
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • psb04
    Options
    Don’t now how to delete that previous message.
    I work full time.
    No I don’t want minimum results I want to lose 2.5 stone
    I am estimating 2lbs a week loss minimum 1lb.
    At gym either lifting weights or cardio minimum time in there would be 45mins.
    Sorry unsure how to delete previous message.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Working full time doesn't mean sedentary by a long shot, especially when you factor in what is the work which you didn't mention - but also because you said you are working out.
    Shoot, even mom's or many not-moms with household duties discover even with a total sit-down desk job and 1hr commute, are not Sedentary by MFP standards even with no exercise (MFP considers no exercise for those levels).

So with that much left to lose - 1 lb weekly is reasonable goal.
    At 1 stone it would be 1/2 lb weekly.

Make it unreasonable for body, it'll fight back and usually make it happen anyway, through adapting or hormones or both.
    Guess which is more stressful on the body - you purposely making it reasonable, or body forcing it on you?
    Stress adds water weight - easily a reason to see no change on the scale for a long time - will that stress you out more?

So weight lifting - you are trying to transform your body then I'm guessing to look better (since no one sees your scale but you anyway, right?), and be stronger. Great!

An aggressive deficit is NOT going to benefit lifting weights to see max results from it.

You likely have no idea how good your program could be right now if deficit was reasonable.

If you are already used to eating so little, you can probably drop more than easy/short warmup/cooldown cardio - and focus on lifting to best transformation you'll see for 3 x weekly.
    After all, if you lose the fat and nothing is there to see ...

But when you correctly log Weight lifting workouts, the calorie burn and increase to daily eating is much less than cardio, which is true.
    But it'll still be more than the minimum you are eating now. Which is good for your next workout to do some real damage.
    Body has no need to improve unless there is some stimulus/damage asking it to.